Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: January move for Bremer

which one?
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    This thread reminds me of that Everley Brothers song..........
    Cathy's Clown or Dream?

Bye Bye love?

Bye bye happiness
    Hello loneliness
    I think I'ma gonna cry

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Bye bye happiness
    Hello loneliness
    I think I'ma gonna cry
    when will you be loved?

That's 'More Than I Can Handle'

Tried to mask it with numbers but when 4 players can’t play more than 1 game out of 3, how can you count them as 4?
    It's more a case of 4 players aren't good enough, experienced enough, can't play the pressing and counter pressing game, haven't been properly coached in it, or just can't or don't grasp it.

Elliott and Morton are good prospects, but as you rightly say, neither are first 11 players now or should be considered as such, with the midfielders we have who are ageing.

We have got to this situation with midfielders through not addressing the issues with our misfits for several windows, our system needs the type of midfielders people moaned about us having, strength, power, pace, aggression, ability to keep and move the ball in very tight areas, READING of the game, UNDERSTANDING of the press and counter press and the importance of their positioning in conjunction with all our other players

Where it needed improving, and since our Champions League win, is we need players with all these more considered workmanlike qualities, although their reading of the game and understanding of the press is a very high level of mental ability a lot of players, including a lot of our current midfield 'options' don't have, what we need has always been simple, players with all those abilities, but with better passing ability and the type of passing we use to release our forwards and full backs and the ability to play switches - If we had 3 players in midfield who could play those passes and do and understand everything without the ball as Henderson does, we would absolutely walk the league

ANyway, the thread is about CBs and how given the previous injury issues of 3 of ours, and gomez not being good enough except as a utility defender, it is a ridiculous risk to sell Phillips and not use the funds to bring in Bremer to give us four top quality CBs and Gomez as a utility defender, giving us 2 who are good enough and both have very good history of availability
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    We're skint sorry
    Don't want to derail too much from centre-back chat but it always seems worse after negative results.

January is a weird market and I don't foresee spending. Klopp (or whoever) wanting funds for a 10th midfield option is a difficult pitch, even if we can see issues with having multiple injury-prone options. If Ox was sold and as/when Milner leaves I'd be surprised+disappointed if no midfielder comes in.

I'd love Bellingham here for example, but even if we were less "tight" with our spending (and I do wish we'd spend a bit more!) it's hard to picture us doing ALL of -

- Bellingham's fee
    - Bellingham's wages
    - Agent fee
    - Salah's wages (if it were £500kpw over 4 and a half years that's £117m, not that I think he will demand that)
    - Salah's agent's fee

- during the current climate of not being out of the iffy waters of the Pandemic situation. I also can't help but feel that if we DID do all of this (guts of £250m) we'd still have fans shift focus to "we haven't replaced Origi" or "Matip gets injured, we need another centre-back" or "we need better depth at right-back" or whatever.

Hopefully FSG can strike a balance of spending a bit more whilst still maintaining the sustainability aspect that allows youth a chance. I'd love Salah's wages sorted, Bellingham (or whoever) in and one more high-quality attacker to replace one of Origi or Minamino. If 2-out-of-3 of those aren't sorted by Summer's end I'd be really concerned.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Great to give youth a chance. BUT really quality NOW is what counts more.. We need at least 3 oustanding players to join the squad.

Cathy's Clown or Dream?
    "Stop being a tight cunt John". ......oh no that's a other band sorry. It'll have to be "pass the chicken and listen".
    I had to look that up on Wikipedia. Lolzerly.