Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: This weekend's other games - Boxing Day

Tottenham and Arsenal winning games of Football applies a little extra pressure on Man United's delayed fixtures at least.

Small comforts.

Financial Doping FC are just cruising results at the moment.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Villa go in front from a deflected cross but give it away from a silly Matty Cash challenge giving Chelsea a penalty to equalise.
    Villa 1-1 Chelsea 35 gone.

Indeed Sid, Spurs only 6 points - 2 game swing behind us if they win their games in hand. We also have to be careful what we wish for. Unlikely though it seems by early February we could be looking at up at Them hoping they drop points.

Chelsea totally dominant in the opening 10 of the second half, Villa very passive. Looks like a matter of time before Chelsea go in front.

There you go. Substitute Lukaku with an easy header puts Chelsea 2-1 up. Pathetic effort to defend the cross from Mings.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Indeed Sid, Spurs only 6 points - 2 game swing behind us if they win their games in hand. We also have to be careful what we wish for. Unlikely though it seems by early February we could be looking at up at Them hoping they drop points.
    Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

I will say this though - if we don't win the League, I'm not toooo bothered about the difference between finishing 2nd/3rd/4th in the big picture - it would only be dropping out of the Champion's League spots that would be a major issue and so long as complacency or a terrible run of awful misfortune with injury occurs, I just cannot see that happening this season.

All we can do is win as many games as possible and see where it takes us. Hopefully we're in a good place in February as I think a Champion's League challenge is very plausible (we "should" beat Inter and thus "should" be in the last 8) and I'm certainly not giving up on the League just yet, though Man City aren't giving up points lightly.

Beat Leicester on Tuesday, go again. Hopefully won something by the end of the season. I'm quite invested in the idea of winning the League Cup now that we've reached the semi-finals.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Arsenal v Wolves on the 28th postponed due to Covid in the Wolves camp.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Arsenal v Wolves on the 28th postponed due to Covid in the Wolves camp.
    A shame that - Arsenal have won 4 on the bounce - would have fancied them to win that.

Utd have genuine competition for a top four finish this season, they can’t afford any honeymoon settling in period for the new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Utd have genuine competition for a top four finish this season, they can’t afford any honeymoon settling in period for the new coach.
    Indeed not.

I had a quick glance at their fixture list not too long ago and (depending on rescheduling of certain games of course) they have a run of "easier" fixtures right up until March, then their season gets a little bit hectic in terms of playing a sequence of sides you'd expect to give them a game - plus the juggling of the Champion's League.

Looking at what Spurs and Arsenal are doing just now, Man United are essentially under massive pressure to make the absolute most of the run of "easier" games, otherwise you'd suspect it will be the Europa next season.

They're capable of 4th, but Arsenal's recent run of form and Conte's arrival at Spurs has made the picture less clear.