Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    If he arrived before Gini left how does that preclude him from being a replacement for Gini ?
    He arrived in time for our title defence.

So then the club had no intention of a new contract for Gini???

Come on fellas

Who are the new covid players? Anyone in the know" Is it Firmino and Alison?

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Those two didnt train yesterday so those two are likely.

Jota is rumoured to be the third player.

I guess we find out on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    yes plus Adrian i've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    He arrived in time for our title defence.

So then the club had no intention of a new contract for Gini???

Come on fellas
    I asked a question, is your answer he arrived in time for our title defence ?

I could imagine Thiago being signed due to contract extension talks stalling with Gini entering his final year. In that sense a potential replacement.
    I've posted the figures of the cost in matching PSGs offer.
    My guess is the club wouldn't match other clubs offer. The rest is history.

Club/Klopp are essentially as strong as its been and better with Jota. 6 senior players in 6 out.

Player in 19/20/21
    Konate Thiago Jota Tsimi Taki Adrian
    CB - CM - CF - LB - AM - Gk

Player out 19/20/21
    Lovren Gini Shaq Ings Sturridge Migs
    CB - CM - AM - CF - CF - GK

----------

People can say the squad is older and so are our youth prospects.
    I think we should be playing more compact with a double pivot at the base of midfield. I also think Klopp should be more adaptable and trust players when they've performed.

1 of 3
    Alisson/Kelleher/Adrian

4 from 9
    Trent/Neco/Gomez/Matip/Philips/VVD/Konate/Robbo/Tsimi

2 from 5
    Hendo/Fab/Thiago/Milner/Keita

4 from 9
    Mane/Salah/Jota/Bobby/Ox/Origi/Elliot/Jones/Taki

The front 6 from 14.
    11 from 26

No the question you asked implies that he could have been a Gini replacement.
    Two extremely different players.

If he was indeed Gini’s replacement - then the club had no intention
    of any agreement with Gini full stop.

We could all guess that Jota is Bobby, Salah, Mané’s replacement too,

Doesn’t seem likely

The strength of a squad cannot be determined that easily on paper. Certainly not such a brief few numbers. Age plays a huge part. We are not a young side at all. The key players are ageing. After buying the 2 absolutely WC first choice targets ( Virgil, Alisson) following the sale of Coutinho we haven’t come close to doing anything similar.

People talk about sustainability- how is that sustainable?

The only thing that is sustainable is the revenue. This is the only area where consistent money has been spent to generate more. This is the MO. Winning is clearly secondary and that is wrong! It will lead to Arsenal mark 2. It is precisely what Kroenke instigated.

The strength of a squad cannot be determined that easily on paper. Certainly not such a brief few numbers. Age plays a huge part. We are not a young side at all. The key players are ageing. After buying the 2 absolutely WC first choice targets ( Virgil, Alisson) following the sale of Coutinho we haven’t come close to doing anything similar.

The only thing that is sustainable is the revenue. This is the only area where consistent money has been spent to generate more. This is the MO. Winning is clearly secondary and that is wrong! It will lead to Arsenal mark 2. It is precisely what Kroenke instigated.
    when mane salah etc go to the afcon and the players infected with covid are not these players.. we will basically have no one in the forward line to play in the f a cup and league cup semi finals
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

The age of the squad is my main concern. I personally think the squad we've had for the last few years is as strong as it has been for decades. We'd have pissed the league year in year out in any other era. City have distorted the league beyond recognition.

However my worry is the evolution of the squad. We're heading towards that post Dalglish era if we're not careful. We have to make sure we don't get rid of the senior guys too early like we did in the 90s whilst equally not ending up with a first team full of 35 year olds.

As Kev mentioned, I don't want Stevie to come in as Souness did and try to revolutionise the squad.

Any solid info on the players who have Covid