Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    How is Thiago the replacement BTW? He was bought a year too late but still a full year before Gini left.
    Speaking in more general terms rather than Gini's situation specifically, but some may argue that getting a suitable player ahead of time in works as they "become" the replacement - even if the role/style of play is a touch different.

Look at Firmino and Jota - we get Jota in because he can contribute/rotate, but also (given our recruitment record) the staff/analysts/whatever probably know he had, at the very least, the potential to be "better" than Firmino, even if they're slightly different players.

Or (a hypothetical) if we'd been in a position to bring Busquets to Anfield while Mascherano was here, he might be viewed as the replacement despite playing in a different way, to evolve/tweak our overall playing style - but we would always have some folks asking for a more defensive "terrier" type if Masch was sold.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

No Klopp tomorrow after a positive covid test.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    The age of the squad is my main concern. I personally think the squad we've had for the last few years is as strong as it has been for decades. We'd have pissed the league year in year out in any other era. City have distorted the league beyond recognition.

However my worry is the evolution of the squad. We're heading towards that post Dalglish era if we're not careful. We have to make sure we don't get rid of the senior guys too early like we did in the 90s whilst equally not ending up with a first team full of 35 year olds.

As Kev mentioned, I don't want Stevie to come in as Souness did and try to revolutionise the squad.
    Exactly my fear with age of squad and not having millions and millions to chuck around

next few years will be crucial, if FSG keep it up we're going to be stuffed.

I do see us selling a big name though then signing 2-3 younger players. maybe even before the contract doesn't run down or leave on the cheap... who knows.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Now Jurgen has tested positive and will miss tomorrows game!
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Think I will too. Fuckin joke.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Now Jurgen has tested positive and will miss tomorrows game!
    Pep Lijnders to take charge.
    Is he Jurgen's understudy, could take over when Jürgen leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    nah its pretty nailed on to me anyway.. Gerrard will get the job.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

The squad are said to love him and I think he does quite a lot on the tactical/training side.

We could certainly do worse than give him a year and see how he goes. We're fortunate in that we are one of the most notorious clubs in World Football - heck, we managed to get Klopp here and he had a pretty average squad to get started with - whoever comes in to replace him will have a better squad to work with, a better training facility, better analysts and a bigger crowd to motivate the players when they're on the pitch.

It may well be that Gerrard gets it and as much as he isn't my first choice, he'll certainly get my support if he gets the job, particularly if he gets it on merit.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    nah its pretty nailed on to me anyway.. Gerrard will get the job.
    No thank you, Souness, Evans both absolute disasters, I don't want any old boys returning as manager
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Well, let's see how he gets on tomorrow
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”