Page 1 of 31 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor midfield recruitment model

Poor midfield recruitment model

As I understand it, we employ some sort of model and simulation in our recruitment process for all positions together with key skills the players need to have, well, whoever has devised the midfield model wants the sack

Midfielders being able to play No6 and No8 and offer/lend themselves to a fluid 3 should be a pre requisite

Midfielders having the type of passing ability necessary to release our forwards and full backs or find them in isolation should be a pre requisite - This has to include centre to forward left or right up and down passing and centre or advanced forward left or right up and down passing and right to forward left and advanced forward left passing and left to forward right and advanced forward right passing

All of that being the most effective passing to release our forwards and full backs or find them in isolation and to create opportunities to create chances through switching the play from a compressed area of play to a player on the opposite side in lots of space

The tactic of picking up all our players ahead of the ball and letting our No6 have it when our No6 hasn't got this type of passing or any notable ability with the ball to release players and hurt sides, making us go sideways or backwards or play easy balls barely going forwards to the full backs, all of it on the deck in front of the defending side really needs to be addressed and considered, too many sides have employed it too effectively too many times now, a fair few of those games we've won, but only just for this reason and it isn't coincidence, it's one of the best tactics to employ when sides know we'll have most of the ball and our No6 won't hurt them with it, force us to have to keep going back to him

Hendo and Milner (except for Millies age and frailty now) are our 2 best midfielders at playing Jurgens system, they we here before he arrived, the only midfielder we've brought in since Jurgen arrived who has been successful, although whos passing also fell a long way short of the required type and quality was Gini

ONE, one successful midfield signing in 6 years simply doesn't cut it, Fabinho has been a relatively successful signing, but he isn't as suited or complimentary to Jurgen's system of play as Hendo, Milner or Gini and his passing is even less suited to our other players abilities and limited than Gini's was and we do have issues with teams setting up to play off him or teams letting him have the ball, he's a good player for certain games, not for the system for me

Something is badly wrong with our midfield recruitment, it hasn't been nearly successful enough at all for a very long time, despite all the accolades our recruitment department has received

Edit: WITH the other obvious pre requisites, athleticism, strength, power, ability to control and keep the ball and be composed in tight areas with it, obviously ability to read the game and to play and understand how to play the pressing and counter pressing game
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 29th December 2021 at 05:59 AM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Well it isnt anywhere near as bad as you make out.

Its helped us create loads and score loads this season.

Players are also human they will make mistakes that is normal.

We are more likely to sign someone like Zakaria for next season than a name midfielder.

Lyon are looking to offload Shaqiri after signing him in the summer.He is said to be earning 3.5mil a year

Yet another example of how Klopp makes players appear better, play better and just BE better than they actually are. That has been the key from day one. Shaq always had talent but Klopp got every last drop of it - and at crucial times too.

look at what we sold Ibe and Solanke for. Even Coutinho who I always loved as a player - £142 million… 142!!!

Plenty of our squad would be on the bench at lesser sides without Klopp. This is why some of us are bricking a post Klopp world.

EDIT: did I mention I am bricking it?
    Last edited by Steveo; 31st December 2021 at 10:29 AM.

I wouldnt worry Steveo by time Klopp goes Newcastle will be on the up ready to take another top spot.

Im 100% in the ESL camp I dont care how selfish it is I want whats best for us.

NOBODY gives a shit about fairness we along with United are the biggest draw we should get the most ££££.

When Mayweather/Canelo fight they took the lions share due to ppv figures whats the difference ?

Considering the recruitment we've made in about 6-7 seasons , we can hardly complain. Also adding Fabinho and Thiago to the midfield has been a plus.
    I think it's obvious a centre midfielder is what's needed. We've a good bunch of young squad players coming through in Jones,Elliott and Morton . Who knows they could make the grade .

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I wouldnt worry Steveo by time Klopp goes Newcastle will be on the up ready to take another top spot.

Im 100% in the ESL camp I dont care how selfish it is I want whats best for us.

NOBODY gives a shit about fairness we along with United are the biggest draw we should get the most ££££.

When Mayweather/Canelo fight they took the lions share due to ppv figures whats the difference ?
    The Premier league prize distribution has helped it beat other top leagues, particularly Spain.

But it has created the huge problem around relegation from and promotion to the PL.
    If the dross of the PL got the same money as championship top 2 there wouldn't be that problem.

Think ESL would have been great for football (CL expanded version isn't as good) and for top clubs without the resources of owners.
    Club should be looking to make ita product available yo the widest audience and cream in the money it generates.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Considering the recruitment we've made in about 6-7 seasons , we can hardly complain. Also adding Fabinho and Thiago to the midfield has been a plus.
    I think it's obvious a centre midfielder is what's needed. We've a good bunch of young squad players coming through in Jones,Elliott and Morton . Who knows they could make the grade .
    Hendo isn't as good as he was at his very best due to injuries and getting older, neither is Millie and those 2 and Gini were all far better players for Jurgen's system than Thiago or Fabinho

It's a fucking mess - I think we're going to end up in a battle for top four this season, never mind after Jurgen leaves, we failed to invest when on top, I think the changes away from what worked better than it ever had and is working absolutely brilliantly for City, that were enforced last season has actually seen the Great Man lose his way a little too
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Hendo isn't as good as he was at his very best due to injuries and getting older, neither is Millie and those 2 and Gini were all far better players for Jurgen's system than Thiago or Fabinho

It's a fucking mess - I think we're going to end up in a battle for top four this season, never mind after Jurgen leaves, we failed to invest when on top, I think the changes away from what worked better than it ever had and is working absolutely brilliantly for City, that were enforced last season has actually seen the Great Man lose his way a little too
    I agree with your general point that we’ve let our midfield personnel slip in quality and also to an extent how the are using our quick switching tactics to create 1 on 1s and overloads on the flanks. If you look at their midfield trio today though it was Rodri Kdb and Bernardo. All quality players but also none of which you would say could be any where near klopps standards in our high press. Different sort of players. I’m not sure how you see it but 1 thing that really irritates me lately about how they seem better than us is when they work the ball between the oppo midfield and defence to Sterling or mahrez or foden and the seem to be able to half threaten to beat their man or fake to take them on and move them and then recycle it effectively and quickly to the far side or to Kdb centrally to pick the lock versus where salah and mane seem to basically dribble straight at their direct lines opponent and lose it. We just seem to be relying totally on intensity/work rate/chaos rather than moving it like we used to. Not running behind anymore either lately.
    Last edited by eggy81; 1st January 2022 at 11:34 PM.

@eggy. That's what our midfield has lacked for years now. That lock picker.
    I thought Thiago might have been it but he's not. Different type of player. Every manager has their way, it's just unfortunate that ours is easy to shut down. Give us space and we'll run riot, squeeze us and pack the defence and we are up against it. 9/10 we'll find a way but we always seem to hit one of these creative barren spells each season.
    Absolutely right about us not getting behind lately, I can't remember us once getting behind Leicesters defence.