Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor midfield recruitment model

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Bellingham has scored a good goal for Dortmund, getting pummeled 4-1 though.
    by Glasgow Rangers would you believe?

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    by Glasgow Rangers would you believe?
    Rangers must have a good midfield recruitment model

Klopp is the manager I trusted the most since he took over LFC, from day 1 until today, I have no doubt about his ability in football and leadership.

As what he currently said, our squad now is the best he ever managed. We look good in the league and CL now, he works day in day out to improve the team under club and his ability.

Klopp is one or not best in Football Manager in the world right now, of course he can not please every fans, year to year, time to time, I heard many fans complaints ''why he don't do this and that, tiring enough, many fans look like they know better than Klopp by playing Foot Manager 2022.

We are lucky to have Klopp, give me full support before he leave us, we won't get another Klopp in another 20-30 years time, enjoy this monent while you still can, he can't bring you all the star players that you wanted like Pep, but he can create all the star players by his own.

Enjoy what he brings to us, enjoy it... please

But he's only got Thiago, old man Milner, Firmino, Keita, Ox, Jones, Elliot or even Mane to replace Ginj with !!

Like how is he supposed to turn Mane into Gini if needs must !?

Watching Bellingham against Rangers, proper player already, we should not let him go to another English club.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Watching Bellingham against Rangers, proper player already, we should not let him go to another English club.
    Ally is a huge fan by the sound of his commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Would be brilliant to have him here. To be seen as one of Dortmund's most important players at his age is really something - and even if we got 7 years or so of him we could sell for big money if we chose to, or keep him if he reaches his full potential.

There's a lot of chat around Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago permeating through a few threads and this seemed the most recent/relevant thread title to channel some midfield chat.

There are certain performances where our midfield, excellent as it is as certain things, has been really tested by what I'd call more "clever" midfields - Man City in the League this season, Real Madrid (18/19), Atletico Madrid (19/20), and PSG (19/20 - away) are a few possible examples to cite and I might dig out relevant match highlights at some stage for those games from YouTube.

Whether or not people feel the Thiago transfer has "worked" you can certainly see why he was bought in terms of wanting to tweak/evolve how we do things in the middle of the park.

With that in mind (thinking tactically here more than recruitment, but don't mind names being thrown around if roles are mentioned) what do people feel our next step is, or indeed the step they would most like to see?

I'd love goals/assists/through balls (Bellingham says hello) but there is more than one way of doing things. The decision-making at times from Man City at the weekend and from Real Madrid tonight against Chelsea was something else.

I always thought, given how we won the Champions League (and reached 2 finals) and the Premier League (and were robbed of another) the first stage of our evolution was to bring in midfielders who were all good in a pressing and counter pressing game, and who could all play the switches and balls in behind with the required quality to release our forwards and full backs first and foremost, with a little bit extra and cuteness if possible

I don't think Fab is the right type of No6 for our set up, he's not good enough with the ball, can't play any of the types of ball listed above with the required quality and he can't press in a collective 3 as Hendo does or other genuine No6's do, Jurgen loves him, we've played him sitting deeper not in a clear 3 all pressing high in unison and expertly all season, because he gets caught out otherwise, he gets ahead of players who then get released in the space he should be in if our attacks break down

The issue in the City game was, they were playing to either flank and trying to attack either flank and were barely in the area we have him sit, and on the limited occasions they did go in his area, he just let them breeze past him or committed a foul, he was a spare played no effecting the game at all for most of his minutes on the pitch

I really want us to get back to our very highest levels of pressing and counter pressing we saw in 19-20 in his absence, we can't do that with Fabinho and Thiago in the team and we can't do that against the very best sides with both those players in the team

Thiago was a poor signing for me, a massive blot on our recruitment teams copy book, bringing him in, with his injury record, on the money he's on, as a replacement for Gini simply wasn't good business, he's been injured even more than Naby, he hasn't delivered or created anything with his passing, or very rarely delivered anything and he and Fab in the same midfield massively weakens our press and counter pressing ability - In that game v City, we'd have faired far better with Gini at LCM controller actually getting hold of KDB and driving forward powerfully with the ball when opportunities to do so presented themselves

Thiago's type of passing, his most celebrated type of passing, through the lines from deep to connect a very clever forward run in a central area, to take 4 or 5 players out of the game and put the forward in a position to assist or release another player to assist, with an overload, we don't play like that or have that type of player with that cuteness in their movement and ability to release a player to score or assist from there to use his most precocious talent - So, not a good signing at all, lots of good passing, some great passing, that amounts to absolutely nothing, passing that makes goals is what we need, so better off with players who can play the switches and balls in behind of the required quality to release our forwards and full backs before signing a fancy dan showboater, all coat and no knickers Thiago type of mid
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Thiago isn’t a poor signing at all not sure where you get that from.

Our record with him in the side is incredible he really is a top class player you don’t spend all your career Barcelona Bayern and LFC if you can’t play.

Him and Fabinho does work as the stats prove it not only do we win we have loads of clean sheets when they start together.

Yes City did boss us in midfield but they boss pretty much every team they play against same when Pep was at Barcelona.

They played Silva really deep and he dictated the play..we couldnt really press like we liked too..their get out ball was behind TAA when he got forward.. we really need to be patient in fa-cup game and try and drag them out and play between their 2 centrebacks.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century