Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor midfield recruitment model

A very simple addition to our midfield scouting and recruitment model is needed

That players must have the required quality of passing and type of passing to release our full backs and forwards

If they need an example of what that looks like, look at Henderson's, Virgil's and Trent's passing in the 19-20 season, their swtiches, their releasing our forwards or full backs in space in isolation

The absence of a single player other than those 3 who can play those types of passes with the required quality in our side has been a gaping flaw in out recruitment since Jurgen arrives - Our No6 is supposed to drop and receive the ball deep from our CBs and make the play from there, how the FUCK we recruited Fab for such a role or even consider him valid for such a role given his absolute dearth of ability at the necessary type and quality of passing tells it's own story - He simply does not have the required repertoire of skills for that role and neither do any of our other midfielder outside of Henderson

Hence the title - It's not good enough - It reminds me a little of the Collymore quote of "I don't know any other industry in which they'd pay £8.5m for something they had no idea how to use" We have incredibly high valued and talented forwards and full backs, but we continue to sign midfielders without the necessary type and quality of passing ability to use them to their full potential
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Our current standings

Scored 58
    Played 22
    2.64 goals per game

19/20
    Scored 85
    Played 38
    2.24 goals per game

At our current rate we'd score 100 goals after 38 games

In 18/19 we scored 89 goals in the league.

Our attacking talent is stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    A very simple addition to our midfield scouting and recruitment model is needed

That players must have the required quality of passing and type of passing to release our full backs and forwards
    There's a graphic that was online recently (possibly the Athletic?) that showed progressive passes amongst players in Europe's best Leagues.

Jones and Thiago came out well on it. Naturally would want to look into it in a little more depth.

If I'm at the PC tomorrow and can figure out how to embed it I will.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

We have never been here under Klopp. In all comps at this stage of the season. The next 5/6 weeks (11/12 games) will test the squad to its limit.

I think it's obvious we'll bring someone in, in the summer with a few outgoings

Sort that out there's no reason we can't challenge, and win it injury's depending as we'll have a smaller squad than city obviously who don't have to sell and buy.

Big summer needed, best chance is still the next few years without the Saudi's ... (why I hope they go down add at least a season then)
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    We have never been here under Klopp. In all comps at this stage of the season. The next 5/6 weeks (11/12 games) will test the squad to its limit.
    That's simply because Jurgen's FINALLY managed to get a squad that can compete in all comps, it is still short of the required quality in midfield, it is also short of legs

Milner's aged, slowed down a little, but still comes out on top in the lactose tests running all day long (as long as he isn't having to sprint) but essentially Jurgen had Gini, Hendo and Milner as his midfield, three box to box midfielders, all of whom had the game intelligence to play the press and take up the right positions of one another and our other players and the mobility, athleticism and engines to do that brilliant for 90 minutes and make strong recovery runs on the occassions they were caught out

Fabinho, Jones, Thiago, none of them are box to box, of do any of those other things as well as the 3 mentioned

For me our ideal midfield model should be box to box midfielders, with great athelicism and pressing ability and also with greater technical ability than those 3, the passing and necessary quality of it to support our forwards and full backs as well as they possibly can be
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I think Gini has been left out of the psg CL squad.
    I wonder if bookies are slashing our odds for old big ears

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I think Gini has been left out of the psg CL squad.
    I wonder if bookies are slashing our odds for old big ears
    250/1 for the quadruple last time I looked.

Of the 17 games The Fabulous one and Thiago have played together, we've won 16 and drawn the other.
    Not bad that.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Of the 17 games The Fabulous one and Thiago have played together, we've won 16 and drawn the other.
    Not bad that.
    Me love dat. Just shows how good our Brazilian slapead' is.