Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralph's at the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    He's still a dirty manc bastard.
    YES CCTV 1,000 times YES THAT is exactly what he is

Although, "He's still a dirty ugly big nose Manc bastard" would have been most accurate
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

He's one of the few lads on their side I would wish well on account of his charity work.
    I think his image will be rehabilitated at some point. It emerged that his whole school meals campaign was dreamed up by his PR team, not him. When you start to think of how cynical that is, the shine fades quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    I think his image will be rehabilitated at some point. It emerged that his whole school meals campaign was dreamed up by his PR team, not him. When you start to think of how cynical that is, the shine fades quite a bit
    Said it at the time, probably reduced his tax liabilities and increased his income from that philanthropy...

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Said it at the time, probably reduced his tax liabilities and increased his income from that philanthropy...
    It did. the PR company were doing their job well

I said at the time its hardly sainthood to demand the government use other (poorer) people's money to provide meals for people-other-than-their-own's children.

Mo Salah, on the other hand, is doing some interesting charity work in Egypt that no one hears about.

Craig Bellamy also did some really valuable work with African kids later in his career and people still think he's an idiot

I prefer people to remain annoymous if possible when donatinhg to charity and such like.. Then again charities cant be trusted the people running them often get a huge chunk of it.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

So what? He came from an impoverished back ground there's no doubting that. I don't remember him ever saying it was his idea, trying to negate good work due to club colours is a bit sad and very British.
    He highlighted what a shithouse Govt we have.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    So what? He came from an impoverished back ground there's no doubting that.
    Mason Greenwood also clearly came from an impoverished background and everyone's willing to throw him under the bus.

Rashford's campaign fits the mould of modern activism - accuse the government for not making everything better. Drawing a line between that kind of activism and virtue signalling can be difficult. To me, it starts to lean in the direction of virtue signalling when
    1) it's actually a campaign by your PR company who are motivated to improve your image and therefore income.
    2) there is no sign of your own personal sacrifice

My own view is that the world's problems are not solved by governments - many of the problems tend to be created or exacerbated by governments. If Rashford wants to impress me of his great virtue I'd like to see evidence of using his own wealth, talent, contacts in the footballing world and passion to create solutions to the suffering of inner city kids. The footballers who are motivated to do that sort of thing often do it quietly, which I find more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    So what? He came from an impoverished back ground there's no doubting that. I don't remember him ever saying it was his idea, trying to negate good work due to club colours is a bit sad and very British.
    He highlighted what a shithouse Govt we have.
    I've had a good long chat with Stevie Harkness in the off-topic about charities, and how so many are scams with awful accounting of funds.
    How charity/philanthropy is an economic saver for affluent folks etc a means of reducing tax liabilities.
    How charities involved in areas like foodbanks will refuse healthy food so they can get shitty foods for the poors taste and wants.

My views predate the dirty manc bastards media around this issue

Mason Greenwood also clearly came from an impoverished background and everyone's willing to throw him under the bus.

Rashford's campaign fits the mould of modern activism - accuse the government for not making everything better. Drawing a line between that kind of activism and virtue signalling can be difficult. To me, it starts to lean in the direction of virtue signalling when
    1) it's actually a campaign by your PR company who are motivated to improve your image and therefore income.
    2) there is no sign of your own personal sacrifice

My own view is that the world's problems are not solved by governments - many of the problems tend to be created or exacerbated by governments. If Rashford wants to impress me of his great virtue I'd like to see evidence of using his own wealth, talent, contacts in the footballing world and passion to create solutions to the suffering of inner city kids. The footballers who are motivated to do that sort of thing often do it quietly, which I find more impressive.
    Are you really comparing the allegations against Greenwood to some hearsay about Rashford?

How do you know Rashford doesn't already do some iof the things you highlight above? After all nobody hears about Mo's charity work do they? Or Criag Bellamys.
    Rashford gave up his own time to it and it has in turn affected his form ( or some Utd fans say).
    I really disliked Ferdinand as a Utd player but watching some of the documentaries he's done he comes across as a really sound guy, charity work etc. Footballers are human, they make mistakes etc and it's easy for us to think bad of them because they play for a team we don't like. It must be hard for younger ones like Rashford who have agents and PR pushing an agenda.

Like I said, he highlighted a clear shithousery move from our own Govt. His name was put to it and if it gained clout by doing so I don't think anyone should take issue with it. It benefitted children.