Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Afcon

That second penalty*.

Cheeky.

...or class.

(*Egypt's first)
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Cameroon miss their second penalty.

Their CB bucking the conventional knowledge that defenders are better penalty takers than attackers.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Cameroon miss again.
    (saved again)

Egypt can win this with their next 2 kicks.
    Stone-Cold Savage!

It’s a Mo - Mané final.

Cameroon penalties woeful

Egypt through after Cameroon miss their last three spot kicks (two saved and one kicked way off target.)

Egypt were perfect from the spot.
    Which once again illustrates the injustice of the penalty kicks as they were arguably the poorer team during the game.

Mane and his boys will make quick work of them in the final.
    Just too many weapons upfront and a solid brick between the posts.
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    It’s a Mo - Mané final.

Cameroon penalties woeful
    Cameroon have no one to blame but themselves.

Penalties aside, they dominated the game with more of the ball, but just couldn't put it into the net and ultimately paid the price for it.
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Yep penalties is a horrible way to settle a game - better than tossing a coin, but only just.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Yep penalties is a horrible way to settle a game - better than tossing a coin, but only just.
    Baggio's still annoys me. Mainly because I think he isn't as appreciated as he should be.

Last-16 of the World Cup and down to 10-men, 1-0 down? Scores an equaliser to take it to extra-time and scores a winning penalty in extra-time.

Quarter-final of the World Cup? Score a late winner.

Semi-final of the World Cup? Score both of the goals.

Now, to be fair, Italy took their pens first in the shoot-out and had already had one sent over the bar and one saved, so even if Baggio scores his, Brazil just need to convert their 5th and they win anyway.

But if the shoot-out goes slightly differently, Baggio perhaps scores the winning pen of a shootout having scored the winner in every stage of the knockout rounds. That's Maradona-esque levels of influence on the tournament at a time when Serie A was THE League and he is THE player (Balon d'Or winner remember) - imagine how much more highly he'd have been regarded than what he already is.

On the flip side of that, the likes of Kuyt thumping it into the corner against Chelsea in the shootout in the Champion's League to get to a Final (and simultaneously stop them AGAIN) was utterly brilliant.

Anyway! A "Salah v Mane" final it is then. Absolutely delighted for both players and just a shame there has to be a loser there. Hopefully both can find different psychological inspiration from the result - massive confidence for the winner, a desire to prove themselves even more for the loser - every percentage is going to count for us if we want to run Man City to the wire and hopefully the AFCON proves to have a tiny influence for the better for us.

I think Baresi missed one in that final shootout. Which was shocking in itself.

I'm just hoping neither of them are shagged out, after having to play on that flicking awful excuse for a football pitch.