Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Afcon

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    I think Baresi missed one in that final shootout. Which was shocking in itself.
    He did. Their first pen. Massaro had one saved. Massaro also had a chance in the first half where he could have put the ball through to Baggio to put the ball past one of our goalkeeping coaches, Taffarel.

Baresi actually missed most of the tournament and then slotted straight back in for that final. There's a compilation of his contribution during that match on YouTube (rather dramatic music, can be watched on mute if that's not your thing) and it's no wonder Romario and Bebeto couldn't get a goal that day, although to be fair Italy did ride their luck a couple of times.

Baresi was an absolute Colossus in that match, irrespective of the final result.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Baggio's still annoys me. Mainly because I think he isn't as appreciated as he should be.
    Absolutely. The man was a genius. What makes him more remarkable is that he played most of his career in pain. He suffered some massive knee injuries when he was in his teens. He said that he only felt match fit in about 3 or 4 games a season. He also did it at a time when Italian football was probabaly at its strongest with some of the world's (and all time) best defenders!
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Mane has offered to pay for supporters flights to Cameroon to watch the final. Stand out guy our Mane is. Really hope he comes back with the cup to boost his confidence. Yes, I’m supporting Senegal for this one

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    Mane has offered to pay for supporters flights to Cameroon to watch the final. Stand out guy our Mane is. Really hope he comes back with the cup to boost his confidence. Yes, I’m supporting Senegal for this one
    People may bemoan this and other international competitions but to many foreign players in our league playing for your national team is regarded with the highest esteem

Loathing the way this final is being billed as Salah v Mané.

As though it’s just about them.

Some saying the debate over ‘who is the king’ will be settled after the the final whistle. What a load of baloney.

Almost like there is a will to set us up with rumblings inside our dressing room.

Whoever loses is going to have their nose rubbed in it by the media.

Well Senegal have better players than Egypt over all, I'd imagine they're favs

Salah has to have game of his life for egypt to win.

Senegal are much more than Mane, not sure about Egypt with salah tho lol
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

I fully expect it to finish 0-0 and for it to be decided by pens.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    I fully expect it to finish 0-0 and for it to be decided by pens.
    Hope the pitch is half decent. Senegal have looked more likely to win, to be fair. They appear to have more top quality players in their ranks

So the host nation Cameroon pretty literally 'Istanbuled' Burkina Faso to win the third place spot.

Down 3-0 at halftime, they roared back in the second half to draw the game, and ultimately won it in penalties, with all their players perfect from the spot.

I believe that's the official technical term, innit?
    When a team comes back from 3-0 down at the half to win the game.
    (especially if they draw and then take it to penalties and win it then)
    Or generally in life, when you bollox someone after they think they've done you and it's all done and dusted.
    The club should trademark that term and make a mint off of it.

Though it's worth noting there was no extra-time as they went straight to penalties after the final whistle in regulation time
    So, not entirely the same.
    Definitely no 'Dudek making a blind save on a nailed-on Shevchenko winner' in Extra-time, moments.
    Last edited by Crimson Dynasty; 6th February 2022 at 02:28 AM.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Mo or Sadio ?