Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: EFL Cup 2nd leg first: Liverpool v Arsenal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GqR15SaFHuA

Klopps short enough post match presser

Only one shot on target and not until added time.

Against 10 men.

Shocking, really.

And it's not even like Arsenal were that great or any sort of defensive juggernaut.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Only one shot on target and not until added time.

Against 10 men.

Shocking, really.

And it's not even like Arsenal were that great or any sort of defensive juggernaut.
    In klopps presser he talked about our football problem that needed to be solved.
    We played into their bus and made it easier for them and a bigger issue for us. Still we could have scored, as they could have too

4231 is our best shape this season imo and with the lads at afcon a must for the immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyliver View Post
    At the end of the day this squad needs massive investment , Milner , oxlade , origi , minamino all need to move on , the players who come in are nowhere near the level needed, I thought minamino had decent potential, he’s not very good
    Balancing act to be had.

We do need investment and we do need squad turnover, for sure.

Personally (and I may have misunderstood what you're getting at, apologies if so and feel free to correct) I'd be much more focused on getting a lower number (2-3) high quality players we can in for the first 11, as opposed to upgrading on the squad options with marginal improvements.

As examples, if we were in a not-ideal, limited to two options total -

- Bellingham in, Milner out.
    - Pacey, skilful forward in, Origi+Minamino out, let a youth become the 6th option (Salah, Jota, pacey player, Mane, Firmino then maybe Gordon)

The midfield needs invigorating as the "Milnerson" set-up doesn't have the creativity. Getting Bellingham in and getting Jones and Elliott (already here) more match time already gives the midfield unit a lift.

The forwards we can see decline in output with Firmino and Mane (not that Mane has much to do with tonight) so having an extra forward player that fits our set-up and scores regularly would be absolutely wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    In klopps presser he talked about our football problem that needed to be solved.
    We played into their bus and made it easier for them and a bigger issue for us. Still we could have scored, as they could have too

4231 is our best shape this season imo and with the lads at afcon a must for the immediate future.
    But that's the problem.

Unlike common consensus here I don't even think the problem was that we were missing Mo and Mane (and/or Keita for that matter) - at least not necessarily.

The problem is that everyone else we rely on to be standout performers were just shite.
    Without the extra width we get from (top form) Trent and Robbo - who were both gash - both Mo and Mane would have lacked seriously or service and space and it meant we would have had to play more through the middle,

And on that front, we had a trash midfield performance so that was a no-go too.

And with Jota upfront who we all know can score but can't create and Bobby who can create but can't score, it was a case of our front players cancelling each other out with their dual shortcomings.

The problem as I see it, is bigger than not having adequate cover for Mo and Mane.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Balancing act to be had.

We do need investment and we do need squad turnover, for sure.

Personally (and I may have misunderstood what you're getting at, apologies if so and feel free to correct) I'd be much more focused on getting a lower number (2-3) high quality players we can in for the first 11, as opposed to upgrading on the squad options with marginal improvements.

As examples, if we were in a not-ideal, limited to two options total -

- Bellingham in, Milner out.
    - Pacey, skilful forward in, Origi+Minamino out, let a youth become the 6th option (Salah, Jota, pacey player, Mane, Firmino then maybe Gordon)

The midfield needs invigorating as the "Milnerson" set-up doesn't have the creativity. Getting Bellingham in and getting Jones and Elliott (already here) more match time already gives the midfield unit a lift.

The forwards we can see decline in output with Firmino and Mane (not that Mane has much to do with tonight) so having an extra forward player that fits our set-up and scores regularly would be absolutely wonderful.
    You assessment is correct. I knew it was going to be a shit-show when I saw Hendo/ Milner axis in the middle. Ox playing against his old team would've been my first choice or even Curtis. FSG have made a determination - the cost of a refresh in Jan isn't worth the prize: almost impossible to catch the state-sponsored club, the cost and risk of a big transfer relative to potential income isn't compelling. This is FSG's standard operating procedure...

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    But that's the problem.

Unlike common consensus here I don't even think the problem was that we were missing Mo and Mane (and/or Keita for that matter) - at least not necessarily.

The problem is that everyone else we rely on to be standout performers were just shite.
    Without the extra width we get from (top form) Trent and Robbo - who were both gash - both Mo and Mane would have lacked seriously or service and space and it meant we would have had to play more through the middle,

And on that front, we had a trash midfield performance so that was a no-go too.

And with Jota upfront who we all know can score but can't create and Bobby who can create but can't score, it was a case of our front players cancelling each other out with their dual shortcomings.

The problem as I see it, is bigger than not having adequate cover for Mo and Mane.
    People have longer term complaints about fsg/transfers that I can comprehend but tonight is a night for reflection on how we tried to do our business on the night.

The adequate cover issue for Mo and Mane will persist when we play 433. They are hounds for minutes.
    Age profiles and squad wise I think we need to be playing 4231.

All fit
    .......Jota
    Mane Bobby Salah (always furthest forward on average)

It was all Sancho last year but you can see how with more berths there are more minutes for attackers. Jones and Elliot to develop playing in that system too.
    Then we need to add a midfielder who can play in a 2 with any of Fab, Hendo or Thiago.

For now

Alisson
    Trent Matip VVD Robbo
    Hendo Fab
    XX Bobby YY
    ......Jota

Klopp always manage with smaller squad, he wants to make everyone happy.

We have world class first 11 + about 5/6 players which can slot in when they are unavailable, apart from that, he doesn't want a bigger squad like Chelsea or Man City.

The other remaining players either are young players or players like Origi, Minamino... they are not good enough to be first 11 but they are good enough/willing to be a bench players.

This is the way Klopp managed his squad since his early career.

What Chelsea and Man City do to keep their star bench players happy is by paying them double. This won't happen to Klopp or under current boss.

Everyone know we need to invest in more quality players, bringing in is easy, how to manage them is rather difficult, do you think Salah or Mane want to be substituted?
    Last edited by Joetan991; 14th January 2022 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Thought they were false positives ?
    Matip TAA Fabinho were all confirmed cases they were im guessing all planned subs.

I was thinking its risky to start Trent especially maybe Neco plays Sunday now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joetan991 View Post
    Klopp always manage with smaller squad, he wants to make everyone happy.

We have world class first 11 + about 5/6 players which can slot in when they are unavailable, apart from that, he doesn't want a bigger squad like Chelsea or Man City.

The other remaining players either are young players or players like Origi, Minamino... they are not good enough to be first 11 but they are good enough/willing to be a bench players.

This is the way Klopp managed his squad since his early career.

What Chelsea and Man City do to keep their star bench players happy is by paying them double. This won't happen to Klopp or under current boss.

Everyone know we need to invest in more quality players, bringing in is easy, how to manage them is rather difficult, do you think Salah or Mane want to be substituted?
    Man City dont have a big squad I think they only have 18 outfield players without including youth.

What they do have is zero drop off in quality when most players are out.

Chelsea have a big squad though which they can do not all their players are quality in reserve Alonso RLC Hudson-Odoi are these top class I wouldnt say they are.

I remember saying a few months back when people kept saying we'll cope without Salah/Mane in league games its "only" Brentford/Palace that in my view is arrogant.

Origi is injured so he will likely miss them and if Jota gets injured/covid we have nothing.

This is why I hate international footy our club shouldnt lose anyone in the season regardless of what the likes Ian Wright says.