Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1215161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: EFL Cup 2nd leg first: Liverpool v Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Man City dont have a big squad I think they only have 18 outfield players without including youth.

What they do have is zero drop off in quality when most players are out.

Chelsea have a big squad though which they can do not all their players are quality in reserve Alonso RLC Hudson-Odoi are these top class I wouldnt say they are.

I remember saying a few months back when people kept saying we'll cope without Salah/Mane in league games its "only" Brentford/Palace that in my view is arrogant.

Origi is injured so he will likely miss them and if Jota gets injured/covid we have nothing.

This is why I hate international footy our club shouldnt lose anyone in the season regardless of what the likes Ian Wright says.
    Yep when you compare our squad with City's we actually have a few more senior players. The squad needs a clear out and replacing with 3-4 quality players. I think Klopp may get backed by FSG in the summer but only if the wage bill can be trimmed.

It's not going to happen but in a perfect world I would get rid of Milner Ox Keita Thiago Minamino and Origi and replace them with 3 midfielders and a forward

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Naughty naughty 😜

I've heard orange juice tests positive on the antigen tests from some naughty people I know.
    Any full sugar fizzy drink tests positive..... unfortunately the mrs is a nurse in a care home so she doesn't get paid sick days...... not that she would try and get a day off....lol ....now me on the other hand.....

When Klopp says we need to do things better every press conference, is that implemented in training? If it’s not achievable due to the lack of quality, is he going to just sit there and think he can achieve miracles.

The majority of the midfield apart from Fabinho has never been good enough in my opinion. 19, don’t bang on about not replacing Wijnaldum, thats never a smart argument.

I could name 4-5 players I’d gladly move on, would have moved on last year or at least summer transfer window. The last 4 games have been an utter shambles and bore fest. Salah and Mane included

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    When Klopp says we need to do things better every press conference, is that implemented in training? If it’s not achievable due to the lack of quality, is he going to just sit there and think he can achieve miracles.

The majority of the midfield apart from Fabinho has never been good enough in my opinion. 19, don’t bang on about not replacing Wijnaldum, thats never a smart argument.

I could name 4-5 players I’d gladly move on, would have moved on last year or at least summer transfer window. The last 4 games have been an utter shambles and bore fest. Salah and Mane included
    I think this post pretty much sums up where we are right now. The squad is way past needing some real quality adding to it.
    People mention Jota last season,fair enough yes but since there's been nothing. I'm not counting Konate, he's not a player who's immediately adding quality that improves that first 11. Hes alleviated the stress at CB but only in a squad sense. Theres been nothing that's had an impact on the first 11.

We can't do much with the way we play with the same personnel in midfield. Next season Fabinho should be the only one who's starting games from that crop who are there now. That's not going to be the reality though unfortunately.
    As posters we go through the same set of gripes most weeks and it usually centres around midfield.

Look - we created loads of chances and Ramsey played a blinder.

Last season it was Virgil and a once in a lifetime defensive crisis (come on fellas) - or was it BCD, this season it seems to be Mo or a few midfield injuries or Virgil aint what he was.

The fact is the squad has been under managed decline since winning. Number 6.

Take your hats off to them for winning the title in 2020 in a hurry before the magic ran out. They were done before the lockdown and pandemic break.

Without heavy investment we are not getting back to that level even with Klopp.

If we are to win the CL we will need some more miracle moments like 2019. We will need to avoid a good number of teams too.

This Carabao cup represents the best chance we have of wining a bean since 2020. It is a sad state of affairs when you look at where we were just 3 summers ago.

A chronic lack of ambition OR a chronic lack of attention (too busy wanting to furlough staff to protect against the pandemic - but also chasing monopolistic money making opportunities Project Big Picture - ESL - and then seemingly having the cash to splash on Buying up more Sports clubs - Pittsburgh Penguins) OR both from those at the top has resulted in our rivals leapfrogging us with ease.

FSG did their research. Few realise that Manchester United’s record profit came in 2019. For behemoth clubs like them and us - prime targets for US owners, it is leaning on that HUGE fan base that attracts them. Winning is simply something that puts a gloss over the top. It isn’t actually needed and it often comes at higher cost than is wanted.

The sweet spot for Arsenal, Liverpool and United, is In being in the mix as much as possible. Getting into the CL is of huge importance BUT beyond that the ambition is the money… the revenue from TV, from sponsorship, from merchandise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49808790

It’s a different kind of cancer on the sport to the one brought in from the gulf , but it is no more benign and far worse for the individual clubs they own.
    Last edited by Steveo; 14th January 2022 at 10:30 AM.

Players aside, klopp rarely changes the way we play.
    The way arsenal are and particularly down to 10 we really should have changed it up after half time as no one besides the fullbacks liked playing on the wings and stretching them.

Even something a little crazy as the back 4 plus a midfield of tsimikas fab hendo and neco would have really stretched them with jota and taki/ox or Curtis up front.
    There wasn't much to lose vs 10 men at home and the way the game was going.
    Last edited by toshin; 14th January 2022 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toshin View Post
    Players aside, klopp rarely changes the way we play.
    The way arsenal are and particularly down to 10 we really should have changed it up after half time as no one besides the fullbacks liked playing on the wings and stretching them.

Even something a little crazy as the back 4 plus a midfield of tsimikas fab hendo and neco would have really stretched them with jota and taki/ox or Curtis up front.
    There wasn't much to lose vs 10 men at home and the way the game was going.
    I think klopp looks a shadow of what he was on lthe sidelines. Very little animation. Just a wry smile when things turn to shit. Maybe he’s finally been ground down by the fighting with a behemoth with one hand tied. He dosent seem the same to me. Maybe just the hunger gone. Anyone else notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    I think klopp looks a shadow of what he was on lthe sidelines. Very little animation. Just a wry smile when things turn to shit. Maybe he’s finally been ground down by the fighting with a behemoth with one hand tied. He dosent seem the same to me. Maybe just the hunger gone. Anyone else notice it.
    Yes I know what you mean Eggy.

I think he isnt alone in this though since Covid it must grind players/managers down after a while.

People say they earn XYZ so they need to go the extra mile but they are human beings and how long do we expect a human to be boxed up for ?!

It needs changing next season as it is destroying the season either ALL games are off or we dont test anymore.

Klopp has been asked f*cking medical questions in press conferences all cos he said he believes in science/vaccines its BS he isnt JVT/Whitty.

No manager will come out public and say its BS as it makes them look bad but yeah he has been down at times.

Every Liverpool fan on the planet knew how things were going to pan out when Arsenal went down to ten men. It's happened before with Salah and Mané in the team. We just lose concentration and become impatient. I appreciate that it's difficult against a low block but we need to be smarter.

Minamino is no where near the player we thought we were buying. Thankfully it was a relatively cheap experiment.

Milner actually looked his age last night. I love the guy but I think it's time for him to move on.

Robertson's corner at the death was right up there with Aspas. His delivery was average/shocking all evening, only when Williams came on did we get dangerous balls into the box.

The second leg will be interesting. Arsenal, obviously need to go for it, which should allow us a bit more space. Whether we can use that to our advantage is another matter.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Every Liverpool fan on the planet knew how things were going to pan out when Arsenal went down to ten men. It's happened before with Salah and Mané in the team. We just lose concentration and become impatient. I appreciate that it's difficult against a low block but we need to be smarter.

Minamino is no where near the player we thought we were buying. Thankfully it was a relatively cheap experiment.

Milner actually looked his age last night. I love the guy but I think it's time for him to move on.

Robertson's corner at the death was right up there with Aspas. His delivery was average/shocking all evening, only when Williams came on did we get dangerous balls into the box.

The second leg will be interesting. Arsenal, obviously need to go for it, which should allow us a bit more space. Whether we can use that to our advantage is another matter.
    Id agree with that we were better when they had 11 on !

Milner is someone we should use for FA Cup games and to bring on last 20 mins in EPL/CL for his knowhow/experience.

Williams should start Sunday I think we rushed Trent back just after the virus.