Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: EFL Cup 2nd leg first: Liverpool v Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by toshin View Post
    Not shitter than Naby who cost many times what he did, and never even plays for us.
    When he occasionally does he's only been decent half the time anyway.
    Yeah equally shit.. not upto the standard required
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    You'd said about needing World Class players. Which, goes without saying, is ideal.

I just don't think having a 6th-choice forward who falls within that bracket is particularly realistic though, whoever it may be.

Obviously if we can upgrade - great, all for it. But I'd rather not upgrade a squad option with a "slightly better" squad option.

Different ways to construct a squad. I think we have a few too many "really good, but not quite excellent" players and if it were up to me I'd probably aim to have 14-16 as good as we can realistically afford (perhaps higher fees/wages on this group) and then have more of the squad options be youngsters coming through - ideally (to me at least) we'd have another forward at the Jota sort of level (rather than Origi and Minamino) and trust a youngster with that 6th spot.

Agree with you on the Ox shout for example. I'd swap one absolute belter of a midfielder for Ox plus one other. We'll never have 25 World-beaters, but having 14-16 then talented Youth coming through (Jones, Elliott, Gordon, Musialowski types) as the remaining 9-11 players would be something I'd get behind, for sure.
    so the other 5 infront of him are of better standard??

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    My thoughts are that we don't need a 6th choice senior forward. We should try and shift Origi and Minamino and buy one forward who can be rotated with the others when injuries / lack of form arise.

Same deal with the midfield. There is too much quantity and not enough quality

Salah is.
    Jota is.
    Mane is.
    Firmino is.
    Origi is, though he's the one a few might debate on.

So yes - the other 5 in front of him are a better standard.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Salah is.
    Jota is.
    Mane is.
    Firmino is.
    Origi is, though he's the one a few might debate on.

So yes - the other 5 in front of him are a better standard.
    what minamino is a wide player? ok sorry for the mistake i always thought he was a midfielder. ok moving on..

Firmino is bang average right now. origi has never been anything than average.

what minamino is a wide player? ok sorry for the mistake i always thought he was a midfielder. ok moving on..
    I rather imagine he would be utilised as a no. 10 if we played 4-2-3-1 more. He has also played attacking mid with Japan, prior to coming to us and with us a few times - it's like the Shaqiri situation really.

To your other post - Firmino might be average at present in terms of form (and possibly decline?) but has done great things for us. Origi has a really good goals-to-minutes ratio and comes alive "between the sticks" but isn't what we need in terms of overall play.

I'd concur with reddownunder's sentiment of getting a better forward in and have less options (numerically) but that the individuals are higher quality.

It's the same in midfield. We have enough numerically (8 for 3 spots, if Morton comes through it's 9) but I think we'd be happy with 6-7 if the individuals were higher quality and more available in terms of fitness.

I rather imagine he would be utilised as a no. 10 if we played 4-2-3-1 more. He has also played attacking mid with Japan, prior to coming to us and with us a few times - it's like the Shaqiri situation really.

To your other post - Firmino might be average at present in terms of form (and possibly decline?) but has done great things for us. Origi has a really good goals-to-minutes ratio and comes alive "between the sticks" but isn't what we need in terms of overall play.

I'd concur with reddownunder's sentiment of getting a better forward in and have less options (numerically) but that the individuals are higher quality.

It's the same in midfield. We have enough numerically (8 for 3 spots, if Morton comes through it's 9) but I think we'd be happy with 6-7 if the individuals were higher quality and more available in terms of fitness.
    yeah we would be happy if they were higher quality. but you'll be happy anyway. everything is hunky dory .

From what ive seen in the last year or 2. most of our squad is not of acquired standard.. Oxlade has had chances to show his worth this season. hes done f all. Minamino can't even get in to 14..11/3 subs.. Keita has had plenty of opportunities. when hs not flat on his back in the hospital ward that is. never done it. Firmino as been shit for 3 seasons. and we dont have numbers in midfield. we have injured players.. Thiago is always out.. Henderson doesnt look fit. Milner is 35. Keita (like ive mentioned)Oxlade-Chamberlain and Curtis Jones are not centre midfielders. so basically we are very light in there.

yeah we would be happy if they were higher quality. but you'll be happy anyway.
    I'd obviously rather parts of the squad we're better than they are, that the stadium expansion was even bigger, that we won even more games, that we played even nicer football, that the finances were more fluid and so on. Don't conflate me finding the positives with a lack of ambition please.

Life's short mate.

Nobody on their Deathbed ever sighed "wish I'd spent more time critiquing Sid's thought process on LFC Online".

I'll always find positives to focus on. If I didn't, I wouldn't keep going. Difficult events in my life have shaped me to aim to think the way I do and I'm going to leave it at that. People can call that naive if they want, people can find my mannerisms and headspace irritating if they want. That's up to them and it's a free country.

Try to have a pleasant day justme. We never know how long we've got.