Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread 16/01/22 Brentford

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Indeed. It's incredibly frustrating if you subscribe to anything on your moral compass that orients around meritocracy. Cancer is always awful and not to be wished upon anyone, but it somehow feels that much more cruel when it happens to those who seemingly take the "correct" path to maximise prevention.
    Bit of a weird take though I think I get you. Cancer I believe is nature's way of dealing with a rather unnaturally long lifespan. Cells replenish and this process just means cancer is more likely with age.
    There was a girl round here who died of it in the last few years before she left primary. So no golden rules for prevention and obviously difficult dealing with death of loved ones, especially kids.

Sorry to hear about your brother in law Miller sounds like a machine on the bike and ironman.

Again best of luck for you and the family Steveo.

Hope ye all smash it.

Steveo and Miller, thinking of you both, my heart goes out to you, stay strong.
    The best friendships are built on a solid foundation of alcohol, cake, sarcasm and a dislike of the same people.

Best of luck to you both
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Some opinions on the skipper over the last few games prior to Brentford

V Chelsea .

TIA

Jordan Henderson – 4

He appears to have a case of the Momo Sissokos, post-eye injury. In other words, the intent is there, but it’s all a bit reactionary and the first touch is basically a clearance.
    Really poor on the ball again and, yet again, was caught doing absolutely nothing and appealing a vague offside instead of tracking the runner as Pulisic ran past him for 2-2.
    The captain needs to rediscover his form in possession at the very least.

The Guardian : Jacob Steinberg

Jordan Henderson The Liverpool captain was often unconvincing in possession. Lacked control but offered plenty of running. 6

V The Foxes

TIA

Jordan Henderson – 4
    His attempts on goal became a running joke with the commentators. Two volleys and one half-volley never looked like going in.
    Watched and admired Dewsbury-Hall as he fed Lookman for the goal, and was as slow as Trent in terms of trying to cover for the defence in this key moment.

Was subbed midway through the second half as Liverpool chased a goal.

90 Min

Jordan Henderson (CM) - 6/10 - A bit too eager to channel his inner Steven Gerrard by shooting in the first half. Pressed into misplaced passes by Leicester at times.

V the Arsenal. Independent

Jordan Henderson, 5.

Failed to provide the spark Liverpool were desperate for. Tidy on the ball but did nothing of note with it. Liverpool were crying out for Thiago in midfield.

TIA

Jordan Henderson – 4
    It was one of those nights for the skipper and the midfield as a unit, and Arsenal going down to 10-men only highlighted the shortcomings further.
    A brilliant pressure on Ramsdale aside, Henderson was culpable of turning into trouble and one such instance led to Van Dijk being clattered but, thankfully, the Dutchman is a brick wall and it hurt Martinelli more.
    Alongside Milner, did not provide the attacking impetus needed against the low block and a Reds outfit that were without two of their focal points up top.

These are all very fair comments on the Captain yet some people felt it was Jota (leagues second highest scorer) that had a point to prove..???

Interesting.
    All written by people who don't understand the game or how we play, like a great many of our own fans it seems, pertinently, honestly, when I did the world cup site I absolutely fucking nailed everything, wiped the floor with the so called professional sports writers, they're fucking clueless.

I could pick apart the inaccuracies and inadequacies of each of their comments - The Arsenal game, Henderson turned into trouble ONCE in that game, given the ball unaware he was being pressed by 2 players by? Fabinho, who has a VERY fucking bad habit of doing that, players often want the ball and think it's on for them to receive it when it isn't, it happens numerous time in every fucking game of football, and the top and experienced actual midfielders DO NOT give them the ball in those situations, because they can see there are 2 players going to be on top of them as they receive it when the player demanding the ball often can't

Another game in which the opposition picked all our players up and let Fabinho have the ball, we dropped Henderson deeper with about 15 minutes left in an attempt to try and give us some passing ability on the ball, it is one of several games in which the opposition have decided to pick everyone up and let Fabinho have the ball, it is a frequent tactic opposition sides employ, we should be discussing the need for us to play Hendo at No6 or sign a No6 who can pass the fucking ball and knows when it is and isn't on to pass the ball to players so he's not giving it to them in bad situations

No runs in behind the entire game v Arsenal, likely no mention of that in any of these fucking amateurs musings, even though it was a very obvious issue and is crucial to how we play, it moves defenders and creates space for other players and our full backs in particular

Who has the most passes in the league? City's chief playmaker? Cancelo Almost all his passes are from in midfield or in the final third, we're not getting enough from Trent or Robbo in terms of passing to open things up and make the play, their games have to start consisting of more than banging cross after cross after cross into the box, called this in 18-19 as where our development and evolution needed to be first and foremost, that didn't happen

Thiago last season

P24 Goals 1 (ONE) Assists 0 (ZERO) Big chances created 3 (THREE)

That was his best run of performances since he arrived

I do have severe concerns that Henderson is our only midfielder capable of the passing our forwards and full backs thrive on and absolutely top class at playing and in his understanding of the pressing and counter pressing game, way in excess of all our other midfielders now Gini has left who was on a par in the understanding of the pressing and counter pressing game to Hendo

(Edit) As an aside to the comments on the Everton game on Hendo watching their player feed Lookman, that had fuck all to do with Hendo if you fucking understand the pressing game, he wasn't his man and he wasn't nearest - The Chelsea comments, Hendo and Konate were holding a line playing Pulisic offside, it was Virigl and Robbo following players back not holing the line that caused that goal, if these moronic twats that consider themselves professional psorts writers actuall understand the fucking game and it was one of numerous times this season Virgil or Robbo have followed players back when they should have hel the line, it has been discussed here, but hey, you just carry on with your fucking agenda if it suits you to support any of those comments as accurate, maybe your understanding of the game matches the moron who wrote them

My concern is that the thigh injuries may have come about as a result of the persistent medium to longer passing, because digging under the ball to generate the back spin on those balls to get them where they need to go and up and down so quickly does put strain on the knee to lower thigh and maybe he is not able to play them as well or as frequently as he used to, I have commented on it a few times now
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 18th January 2022 at 10:24 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Big heartfelt thanks to everyone, really kind words and I can promise you all - they DO make a difference.

I will keep you posted on any progress in off topic or PM
    Not always seen eye to eye with you but best wishes to you and your wife on the journey ahead

Appreciated Darren.

Whilst I believe Fabinho's presence should be under review and the search for a far better No6 with and without the ball who CAN play in a fluid midfield 3 should be well underway and should have been underway as soon as Jurgen and his staff had seen the levels the team reached in his absence in 19-20 and realised they were unable to play like that with Fabinho in the team because of his limited passing ability and lesser ability in reading the game and playing the press and counter press and not lending himself to a more fluid midfield 3

I've come to the conclusion that Fab is another Gomez, Origi or Minamino who Jurgen has a blind spot for and shows favouritism too far and above their level of ability

Even that considered, my primary issue was Fab's severe lapses in the press and counter press and lack of discipline, he has improve in that respect, all credit to him and where it's due, but he still needs to continue to raise his game in that, but this season's Fabinho problem is one Jurgen surely can't leave or ignore, teams sitting off, defending deep, even with 10 men, picking up all our other players and letting Fabinho have the ball, it has been a frequently occurring theme and this one has to be fixed

In games in which the opposition are going to play a low block, or the opposition are reduced to 10 men, Fab is an absolute non starter at No6 for me, we desperately need a player at No6 in those games or situations with far more quality with the ball than Fab possesses - GET ME Tchouameni on the PHONE!

FFS FSG/Jurgen, this should have been done already this window, Not, Good, Enough, not nearly good enough

How does Klopp have a soft spot for Origi/Minamino when he hardly plays them ?

He loaned out one last season and we agreed to sell Origi to Wolves he wouldn’t go.

Basically what you are saying is anyone you deem not good enough just has to go no matter what but it doesn’t work like that in football.

I think Origi is alright to be fair he got treated like sh*t last year Mane/Firmino were awful and he never got a chance but we kept playing players who were poor for months that to me wasn’t right.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    How does Klopp have a soft spot for Origi/Minamino when he hardly plays them ?

He loaned out one last season and we agreed to sell Origi to Wolves he wouldn’t go.

Basically what you are saying is anyone you deem not good enough just has to go no matter what but it doesn’t work like that in football.

I think Origi is alright to be fair he got treated like sh*t last year Mane/Firmino were awful and he never got a chance but we kept playing players who were poor for months that to me wasn’t right.
    In fairness to Origi, although he has scored 3 or 4 hugely important goas for us through the opposition being more preoccupied with our top class forwards and not viewing him as a culpable or capable threat, in over 5 seasons at the club, he has simply never ever fitted into the system, understood it or been able to play it at a level through which he can help the team play at or near its very best levels when he was given opportunities.

Oxlade gets a lot of stick for injuries and being a sick note, from me included, but when he has come in as one of the front 3, he has always helped the team play as near to it's best levels as he can considering who he has come in for and contributed goals, he showed that when preferred to Minamino against Brentford again at the weekend, in that respect, making sure the rest of the best 11 performs as well as it possibly can while contributing, Oxlade was our best option to come into our front 3 pre Jota and remains the best option still after Jota