Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread 16/01/22 Brentford

Remember that Everton’s owners have generously built their squad with much more foresight and ambition than our miserable thieves but they, for some reason- probably their shite manager, are not even as formidable as Brentford.

A very underwhelming 3-0 victory today - Klopp out, past his peak

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Which is why we need another player like Wij... or dare I say it henderson.

But we also need a player like Coutinho...

I do feel main focus should be on the midfield next few windows, then the attack.. obviously if mane or salah leave we'll have to get another forward.

I have a feeling diaz might replace Mane.
    That's what needs to happen in the summer. Two players like you mention. Bellingham plus a.n.other.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    This logic is a perennial red herring

The other cliche is that you can only beat what’s in front of you. This season we have seen plenty of very good defending against us, including by teams who park the bus, including against ten men. It changes the way we have to play and it changes what is possible. Man City don’t play against us in that manner, but Chelsea and Arsenal do as it happens. So who the ‘better teams’ are is one measure but how they play against us is another measure.

I watched a replay recently where Luton beat us at Anfield when we were at our absolute best. Kenny, Souness etc early eighties?

The mentality that we should just automatically beat all these teams is a new thing. It may apply to city - the unfairly constructed oil team. And it may apply to us in recent times - the greatest point accumulators ever for a period of time. But to just expect it is a bit rich

And Brentford are actually quite good. Respect goes to them
    You say it changes the way we have to play. That's precisely the problem for me, we don't chsnge because we can't, that's the reason we struggle to break down stubborn sides. Once we are kind of snuffed out it just becomes predictable. We usually find a way ( like today,Wolves,Villa) but occasionally we don't get through. Only one win in 6 before today.
    Next season we need to change things up a bit in that sense I think.

We changed today from how we set up against Arsenal. And then we were dealing with the loss of the three Africans as well as the loss in confidence that entailed. There are many moving parts on our side as well as theirs

Playing against a parked bus is hard, whoever you are. That’s why they do it

Sky about to show the game so finally can watch it.
    Come on you reds, I can see us knocking these over, 3-0 today easy.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    A very underwhelming 3-0 victory today - Klopp out, past his peak
    It was underwhelming. Particularly the first half. Coma inducing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Which is why we need another player like Wij... or dare I say it henderson.
    That's exactly what we need, next gen midfielders who have the athleticism, box to box and pressing and counter pressing ability of Hendo or Gini, who also have Henderson's ability to play switches and balls in behind and to find the forwards and full backs in isolation and with overall greater technical ability - Midfielders of that type, with the greater technical ability who are comfortable as No6 or No8 controller or attacking

Steveo should be far more concerned about what a let down and poor signing Thiago has been and pay a little more attention to how our midfield works in terms of pressing and counter pressing, I think he mentioned Brighton, even the Echo did a scathing article on Jones' and Oxlade's absolutely dire contribution to the press and counter press and how far they were off it to let Brighton back in second half in that game

Hendo does miss Gini, it's nothing to do with him bailing anyone out, it is to do with having another player in midfield who understands the press and counter press as well as Hendo does and where to position himself as expertly off Hendo's positioning constantly is and in conjunction with where the other mid and full back is as Gini did as he and Hendo had an incredible understnding with one another and of the collective press and counter press, far FAR in excess of all our other midfielders including Fab

The constant, the player supporting Fab and Thiago bailing them out constantly in the run at the end of last season and expertly positioning himself constantly to make up for their not poor, but not bang on the money positioning was Gini, every game, if you'd put Thiago and Fab together in that midfield without Gini not a fucking chance of that end of season run, not ever, neither of the other 2 are anywhere close to Hendo's or Gini's ability in playing our system

The very bad defeats we have suffered, like Watford, Villa and others have not coincidentally all come in Hendo's absence, Fabinho has improved, he's been taking better positions off Hendo's position, there was a huge difference in his performance today in that respect and the first meeting with Brentford in which he was as culpable as anyone else for them getting a point, Toney and their other lad up top were getting joy against Virgil and Matip, and kept getting in with a runner from midfield into Fab's area, it happened all game and he never ever got to grips with it, an absolute disaster class

Henderson's pressing and counter pressing and constantly taking the right positions to support defence and attack helps the team immensely, he does it in attack too, his positioning and movement between him Mo and Trent has been hugely contributory to a great many of our goals

You can't play the press and counter press effectively on your own in the midfield 3 Steveo, if you're No6 and you're putting yourself constantly in the right positions but the other 2 mids are running around like headless fucking chickens,
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Sky about to show the game so finally can watch it.
    Come on you reds, I can see us knocking these over, 3-0 today easy.
    Just watched it again too Always good to have a second watch, not for badness, but Fab not nearly as involved as I had though on the first viewing, certainly not second half, when you're missing players like Mo and Mane and you've made heavy weather of scoring, there is the tendency to over egg a players contribution when they've got on the scoresheet

Tactics Tim was actually absolutely spot of about Hendo blocking Toney for our opener, fine work, I've never really liked tactics Tim, but he admires and appreciates Hendo's game intelligence and what he does and the importance of it far more than a lot of our own fans and infinitely better than Steveo of course, as did both the commentators throughout today's game too, so I obviously like that a lot
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Good on Tim. He clearly knows that Hendo was in fact not pretty ordinary but actually brilliant yesterday.

Wel done that man.

Except - we need far better.