Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread 16/01/22 Brentford

Thanks, guys - I am not gonna lie, it's been pretty tough so far. Every time we see a light at the end of the tunnel, another obstacle appears. Still, her chemo should be over in 4 weeks. We are cautiously optimistic.

A Cup final would be a real bonus right now.

I hate it when we play Arsenal, they have often been a right jinx for us in these types of games down the years. Seems form goes out the window. Could be that I used to go to school with tons of Gooners that make me paranoid about em but there it is.

Best wishes to you and your wife, Steveo x

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Best wishes to you and your wife, Steveo x
    Echo this statement.

Cancer's awful. Wishing your wife the best Steveo - be kind to yourself where you get the chance.

Not the easiest I know, particularly in circumstances where the mind ruminates, obsessively hunting for answers - we often blame ourselves for things beyond our control during the darkest moments.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Cheers Ian, I know you well enough by now to know that you meant no offense mate. It is something my wife has mentioned before and probably struck a nerve. I probably do use too much free time worrying about football.
    If you ever need a chat private message myself or any other member here. There will be times it will get too much mate and maybe a chat to someone else could help or open a thread on off topic.
    My dad has had to learn how to use a washing machine , he's 72 and getting on with it. Us humans can be amazing at times without even knowing it.

Big heartfelt thanks to everyone, really kind words and I can promise you all - they DO make a difference.

I will keep you posted on any progress in off topic or PM

My brother in law is having chemo right now for oesophageal cancer, he is physically the fittest man I have ever met. A 200 mile bike ride would be like me nipping into the village. With this hitting Rob, it has become apparent to me, that cancer cares nothing about how fit and healthy you are, how careful you are about what you eat drink or smoke, or saddest of all, how loved you are. If it wants to seek you out it will.

I can only hope your wife comes through her chemo with as positive a prognosis as possible. Feel for you both mate, stay strong, stay positive, treatments are getting better all the time.

Hey Steveo and Miller. It's a tough hand to be dealt. I’m not religious but I pray that if there is a god, things work out for the best.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Thanks Southern and Miller, sorry to hear about your brother in law.

Yes it seems to be a trick of fate to some degree. My wife has never smoked, has never been a drinker, never touched drugs and has always had a supposedly healthy diet.

Hey Steveo, best wishes and strength to you and your family in this tough time.
    I don't think there's too many families that have been unaffected by the big C..
    Take care and fingers crossed everything goes well...

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    it has become apparent to me, that cancer cares nothing about how fit and healthy you are, how careful you are about what you eat drink or smoke, or saddest of all, how loved you are. If it wants to seek you out it will.
    Indeed. It's incredibly frustrating if you subscribe to anything on your moral compass that orients around meritocracy. Cancer is always awful and not to be wished upon anyone, but it somehow feels that much more cruel when it happens to those who seemingly take the "correct" path to maximise prevention.

I'm on standby to offer any support I can for a close friend at the minute as her Dad has been in the "he has a few hours left to live" camp for several days now - this has happened before. He's clearly a very strong-willed person, or just incredibly resilient, or however it is - but you can imagine how absolutely shattered he must be - plus how emotionally drained the family are as they hang on tenterhooks for a development.

Just doesn't seem right. If he is to go, you'd hope that it didn't have to be drawn out to worsen his suffering, yet you obviously hope for any possibility of a miracle as well.

It's just a horrific condition.