Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread 16/01/22 Brentford

I do apologise for being a narky grumpy old cunt too, but honestly, the Hendo bashing gets my fucking goat

He is our only midfielder who in terms of pressing and counter pressing, which is the system Jurgen plays and has been consistently our only midfield player to be almost always in the right position exactly where he should be

Our only midfielder in the entire squad to offer any degree of creativity and making of the play by moving the ball around to different areas of the pitch, moving the opposition in the process

Our only midfield player to have been consistently involved in a great many of our attacks by releasing players to assist or to assist or through very astute positioning and movement in coordination with Trent and Mo to work the opportunity to feed Trent in the ideal position for him to cross first time, where a great many of our goals in all competitions have come from

There is absolutely plenty to complain about in our midfield, Henderson is the very least of our worries, letting Gini go and not replacing him and not a single one of our other midfielders doing any of what Henderson does every game even when not near his own best at all, let alone with any consistency the entire season so far for a start, the positioning from the lot of the others in the pressing and counter pressing has been absolutely abysmal, AND, it's pissing me off, an absolute dearth of players with the abilities to play our system in midfield, and some people chose to bash the only player we do have with the necessary qualities
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    In fairness to Origi, although he has scored 3 or 4 hugely important goas for us through the opposition being more preoccupied with our top class forwards and not viewing him as a culpable or capable threat, in over 5 seasons at the club, he has simply never ever fitted into the system, understood it or been able to play it at a level through which he can help the team play at or near its very best levels when he was given opportunities.

Oxlade gets a lot of stick for injuries and being a sick note, from me included, but when he has come in as one of the front 3, he has always helped the team play as near to it's best levels as he can considering who he has come in for and contributed goals, he showed that when preferred to Minamino against Brentford again at the weekend, in that respect, making sure the rest of the best 11 performs as well as it possibly can while contributing, Oxlade was our best option to come into our front 3 pre Jota and remains the best option still after Jota
    He's a legend who any half serious fan during this era will never forget.
    In our 6th Champions league success a key man on the night at Anfield, scored the goal of the game in the final.
    When toffees have nightmares, they see divock. Utterly destroying the blueshites on numerous occasions. Played a part in our EL run before the blues twatted him

As a CF all comps
    Played 100
    Scored 33
    Assisted 13
    Minutes 5,022
    Goal or assist per 109 minutes.
    Competitive

All minutes all comps
    Played 168
    Scored 40
    Assisted 16
    Minutes 6765
    Goal or assist per 120 minute
    Competitive

Non-CF all comps
    Played 68 games
    Scored 7
    Assisted 3
    Minutes 1733
    Goal or assist per 173 minutes
    Competitive with Ox

A good contributor defending set pieces, capable of the sublime and a never say die attitude. Gets a lot of late cameos, and plays in the cup games.

Champions league
    Played 23 - scored 4 - assisted 2 - 785 mins
    Goal or assist per 130 minutes
    Competitive
    Cf only
    Played 13 - Scored 4 - assisted 2 - minutes 565
    Goal or assist per 94 minutes

Premier league
    Played 104 - scored 21- assisted 9 - 3444 minutes
    Goal or asssist per 115 minute
    Competitive
    At cf goal or assist per 113 minutes

This season
    Played 10 - Scored scored 5 assisted 2 - 393 minutes
    Goal or assist per 56 minutes
    Excellent

Great analysis there CC.

His numbers are also hugely impressive when you consider most of those minutes have been gained without any form of match rhythm. A game here, 20 minutes there, then bench for 3 months. .

When needed and called upon, he has been our saviour many times and was absolutely crucial in our first big win since 2005 and again played his part in our first title in 30 years!

Origi is a club legend.

Exactly CCTV you proved my point he isnt great but he is a solid player.

I stand by what I said he obviously isnt as good as Mane/Firmino but last season was horrid for him, imagine watching those two performances and still hardly getting a chance.

Interesting to see what he does in the summer if he leaves I hope he goes abroad.

In fairness to Origi, although he has scored 3 or 4 hugely important goas for us through the opposition being more preoccupied with our top class forwards and not viewing him as a culpable or capable threat, in over 5 seasons at the club, he has simply never ever fitted into the system, understood it or been able to play it at a level through which he can help the team play at or near its very best levels when he was given opportunities.

Oxlade gets a lot of stick for injuries and being a sick note, from me included, but when he has come in as one of the front 3, he has always helped the team play as near to it's best levels as he can considering who he has come in for and contributed goals, he showed that when preferred to Minamino against Brentford again at the weekend, in that respect, making sure the rest of the best 11 performs as well as it possibly can while contributing, Oxlade was our best option to come into our front 3 pre Jota and remains the best option still after Jota
    Our forward line agaiinst Barca was Mane Origi Shaqiri.

Just give the lad credit he performed when it mattered this wasnt a dead rubber against Norwich it was a SF in the CL he delivered.

Its why it makes me laugh when people say we should sell for £10m you would just about get a top league one player for that he is worth around £20m.

He also NEVER moans either to the press just cracks on compare that to "better" players at Utd who are leaking stuff.

Stats don't show the picture of all the games he got chances and couldn't do the basics of helping the rest of the team, which was 10 of our best 11 players play as well as they can and we dropped points - Stats are generally used here by people, well by CCTV in particular to try and make a misleading point about a player

CCTV went to great lengths to do this with Gomez, who is also an average player as time has shown, unsurprisingly, I was always acutely aware of Gomez's lack of ability and considerable limitations through watching him play, CCTV used stats to try and claim Gomez was a world beater and a far superior defender to Matip, who I was obviously acutely aware of being a very very good CB and comfortably our second best after Virgil, for me the second best in the league

I love Origi for his sporadic big goals when other sides have given him acres of space and not viewed him as a threat, he still has to put them away, but he's an average player of limited game intelligence demonstrated in his not being able to grasp what it is he needs to do to ensure the team plays as well as it possibly can first and foremost while bringing his attacking skills to provide a consistent pertinent threat in over 5 years at the club

We need better than Origi
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Stats don't show the picture of all the games he got chances and couldn't do the basics of helping the rest of the team, which was 10 of our best 11 players play as well as they can and we dropped points - Stats are generally used here by people, well by CCTV in particular to try and make a misleading point about a player

CCTV went to great lengths to do this with Gomez, who is also an average player as time has shown, unsurprisingly, I was always acutely aware of Gomez's lack of ability and considerable limitations through watching him play, CCTV used stats to try and claim Gomez was a world beater and a far superior defender to Matip, who I was obviously acutely aware of being a very very good CB and comfortably our second best after Virgil, for me the second best in the league

I love Origi for his sporadic big goals when other sides have given him acres of space and not viewed him as a threat, he still has to put them away, but he's an average player of limited game intelligence demonstrated in his not being able to grasp what it is he needs to do to ensure the team plays as well as it possibly can first and foremost while bringing his attacking skills to provide a consistent pertinent threat in over 5 years at the club

We need better than Origi
    Compare Origis goal or assist stats with Timo Werner at Chelsea. Origi has better goal-or-assist stats than Timo.
    It's not like scoring goals and assisting is an unimportant statistic for attackers.

You like many others were so keen on Timo but in the end he has failed to deliver in the PL so far.
    Origi has played in many makeshift sides and hasn't been able to turn every game when he typically is introduced when we need a goal and haven't had our lads performing to their best.
    Yes, Origi is not prime Maradona in every couple of minute cameo.

Ah yes, Gomez, so important to discuss Gomez when talking about Origi. And fab don't forget him, or Jones, or Jota, or Taki.
    Gomez prior to his injury was playing exceptionally well with VVD. We had many clean sheets and a great goals conceded record. Sadly he's not returned to his best since.

Our disagreement again like with Fab or Jones or Jota comes down to a simple fact.
    You disparage these lads at an almighty rate and I don't agree with your take.

In a season where our lesser spotted players have been rather exceptional, we've never had as much moaning about squad depth.

Kelleher
    Neco Gomez Philips Konate Tsimi
    Milner Thiago Keita
    Elliot Ox Taki Jones
    Origi

That's our first 11s back up this year.

Not quite right as we play a front 3 so either Bobby or Diogo will not start.

I would also add that Thiago isn’t backup. Not for Klopp or anyone who watches.

A fit Thiago starts.