Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Matchthread - Second leg v Arsenal

Maybe it's a status quo issue you have Steveo, you're stuck in this mindset of the game 'should' be played a certain way as it was in the 80's and midfielders all always have to do x, y or z and you're unable to see, accept of appreciate the value or new ways of playing in the seemingly desperately 1980's view you have of the game - That's a huge part of status quo, it's what it does, it blinds people from seeing or accepting new things that are different
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Naaah

Just stuck in the mindset that Jones was far better than the Captain last night…. Because once again, the Captain was found wanting. Not a great display by Curtis but comfortably better than Jordan, at least to my eye and most who rated the players last night.

Seems the manager agreed. Can only afford one of Hendo and Milner in that middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

Seems the manager agreed. Can only afford one of Hendo and Milner in that middle.
    Alternatively he was resting his most precious asset

Hendo - Jones Player ratings

Liverpool Echo

Jordan Henderson 6
    Spent too much of the early stages struggling to find a position and only began to become influence after the opener. Steady enough after that. Subbed.

Curtis Jones 9
    Continually took the game to Arsenal before half-time and the main link between the attack and the rest of the team. Then composed and disciplined as Liverpool looked to see the game out.

The Independent

Jordan Henderson, 5.
    Not the captain’s finest night as he struggled to keep pace with Arsenal’s counters down their left. Got into a few good positions early on but the final pass was lacking.

Curtis Jones, 7.
    Carried the ball superbly from deep, turning away from danger and helping the Reds move upfield.

Sports Illustrated

Jordan Henderson 6.5
    Pretty much invisible the first half, and not very effective in the second. Could have helped Alexander-Arnold in the opening minutes with Martinelli but he didn't. If Thiago Alcantara was fit or Naby Keita was not at the AFCON, I would say the skipper was at a high risk of getting dropped.

Curtis Jones 8.5
    Excellent today, he was everywhere, trying to make things happen. His creativity is something Liverpool were screaming out for, he only needs to work on his passes in the final third and work on releasing the ball quickly.

TIA

Jordan Henderson – 6
    Quiet showing from the skipper, though didn’t put a foot wrong. Unlucky not to get on the scoresheet after Konate’s power-header rocked the woodwork. Replaced in the late stages by Milner.

Curtis Jones – 7
    The Scouse Neymar. Jones has some of the best footwork the Liverpool midfield has seen for some time and that is a hill I’m willing to die upon, dear reader. More of a bludgeoning evening from the academy prospect at the Emirates, who had to dig in and put himself around the pitch. Give him free space to dribble into however, and prepare to see a work of art unfold.

TAW

and this is the highest rating I have seen for him - penned by 19? no where close to a 7 IMO

Henderson: 7
    Some work rate from Hendo pressing their back four and keeper. Was like he was on fucking SAS: Who Dares Wins with fucking Ant Middleton screaming at him telling him he will get slotted if he doesn’t keep marching.

Curtis: 8
    I thought he was excellent again first half. So good at receiving the ball deep, inviting the pressure and breaking the lines. Something very Gini about that side of him when deep. That said, he is so good on the ball higher up the pitch as well. Boss second half. Funny when Partey got sent off. “Go ed, yer fucking prick”. Hahaha. Is right, Curt.

ME

Sadly Hendo has been way below par of late. As I have said before IMO he is only starting due to injuries and absentees
    Last edited by Steveo; 21st January 2022 at 05:44 PM.

Tbh those ratings are shite imo. Arsenal continually attacked down their left at the space Taa vacated but yet created next to nothing from it. Why do we think that’s is?
    Martinelli is getting great praise for contributing virtually nothing in terms of threat to our goal.

Not sure what your point has to do with who was better between Henderson and Jones?

I posted these ratings as evidence that it was not just me who believed that Jones performed better:

Most people who watch the game will see who was more effective UNLESS they have an agenda.

And to my eyes Martinelli was a genuine threat. He forced 2 corners in the first few minutes. We then went ahead against the run of play. People have short memories. After the goal Arsenals lack of belief and fight left him more and more alone and without anyone at his level to combine with - he got crowded out a few times too. Don’t know what game you saw tbh.
    Last edited by Steveo; 21st January 2022 at 08:11 PM.

Not sure what your point has to do with who was better between Henderson and Jones?

I posted these ratings as evidence that it was not just me who believed that Jones performed better:

Most people who watch the game will see who was more effective UNLESS they have an agenda.

And to my eyes Martinelli was a genuine threat. He just had nobody at his level to combine with and got crowded out. Don’t know what game you saw tbh.
    He took too much out of the ball and let the defender chasing get back every time. I’m not arguing that Jones may have had a better game and that Henderson isn’t in great form particularly on the ball. I’m making the point that some of those ratings, 5s and 6s aren’t representative of his contribution defensively which imho was excellent. Jones had a decent game. Was impressed with a lot of his game last night.

Fair play but I think Hendo is becoming what he was for years. Lots graft - lots of running but not much else. For me he’s lucky to be playing. On form I believe he would be benched were Thiago fit or Keita here.

Not sure if he is unfit or what it is teally but he seems to be struggling.

Hopefully his form
    Returns soon. We need it

Jones has barely featured since his eye injury yet for me has picked up where he left off. Looking more composed and effective than the skipper.

Anyway it’s great to see all the plaudits for Jota. It’s like you lot can’t stop talking about him. Ahem

Bugger me - if Bobby does half that in the next game I think the forum will break!!

Anyway it’s great to see all the plaudits for Jota. It’s like you lot can’t stop talking about him. Ahem

Bugger me - if Bobby does half that in the next game I think the forum will break!!
    Ha ha. Tbf he’s been so effective from minute one without being salah level spectacular that it almost flies under the radar. Thank god we have him.