Page 39 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2932333435363738394041424344454649 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread : Crystal Palace v Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    I'm sure I'll get around to it over the next two weeks Taksin me auld mucker, lol...
    Ninexteeen has posted over 40 thousand comments of GUFF and most of em are agreeing with himself
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    This is interesting - and it is as I have suggested VAR absolutely IS subjective and THIS is the problem.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...offside/more/3
    It's actually the rule that leaves room for subjectivity. VAR is more or less clear. The problem is the interpretation. To say 'every attacker n the box is affecting play' as the pundit did is contrary to the rule.

I've always thought it was unfair that, had Ox then passed it to Firmino who subsequently scores, Firmino is deemed to be onside again. As 19x said, it's the phases of play aspect of the rule. In real time it's very confusing for defenders who have worked cleverly to make sure he was offside.

You clearly just found out about the rule that says IF you go for the ball you are active.
    Did I?

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    It's actually the rule that leaves room for subjectivity. VAR is more or less clear. The problem is the interpretation. To say 'every attacker n the box is affecting play' as the pundit did is contrary to the rule.

I've always thought it was unfair that, had Ox then passed it to Firmino who subsequently scores, Firmino is deemed to be onside again. As 19x said, it's the phases of play aspect of the rule. In real time it's very confusing for defenders who have worked cleverly to make sure he was offside.
    VAR is anything but clear. The rules are clear BUT as mentioned a human (video assistant referee) has to work fast to decide. It’s subjective. In this case the human failed to apply the rules correctly..

I agree on this daft phase of play crap though. Utterly crazy and nonsensical.

This is interesting - and it is as I have suggested VAR absolutely IS subjective and THIS is the problem.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...offside/more/3
    Yes its subjective but the person making the decision now has all the tools to come to his conclusion. You can disagree but you can't say he is wrong, because he has looked at the evidence and come to his conclusion. I really didnt agree with the Magistrate for the last lot of points i got on my licence.......

But I can say he is wrong and do say he was wrong because the rules state clearly - if the player goes for the ball and is in an offside position then the result is no goal.

I think quite a few are missing the point.

The rules are the rules. Just because the assistant referee has the video does not mean he/she got the right decision.

We know this because this decision was clearly wrong. People confusing human error with right and wrong.

It is subjective only in so far as the person viewing the incident has to make a judgement. This is the weakness in the current system. The reality is that the rules are clear. Did Bobby go for the ball - well we can all see he clearly does. There is nothing to discuss beyond the fact that whoever was acting as VAR failed to take that into account
    Last edited by Steveo; 24th January 2022 at 08:56 PM.

Rules are very seldom clear, the more the rule makers try to make them so by additional wording, the more loopholes appear. Even if a rule appears clear, if it relates to an event or events involving the application of said rules then whether subjectively or indeed objectively , application of the rules applies , there is room for differing opinions.
    The rule makers in football are tying themselves and officials in knots. Even if they went back to a simple offside rule or handball is handball if it touches your arm regardless then it would “ simplify” but there would still be opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Ninexteeen has posted over 40 thousand comments of GUFF and most of em are agreeing with himself
    From the lad who thinks Gomez is world class and a better CB than Matip or Konate and thinks Tielemans is a perfect fit for our team

There are a few people here I 'mostly' agree with on most things who are the handful here who actually lend any weight to the tag of 'most knowledgable fans' you're absolutely not one of them, nor will you ever be, Miller, Taskin, Justin, Sid, Jimmyliver are the one's who for me 'know a thing or two about this game' a lot more than the majority of the trest, I've missed a couple less frequent posters out, Tees has his moments too when he's not rimming or dry bumming the hapless and pedantic Steveo
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I think those who have escaped can take the above as a true compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    They don't call it .....(**puts on sunglasses**)....."Mirror Training™" ......for nothing.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!