Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930313233343538 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread : Crystal Palace v Liverpool

Time things went our way.

It was just another shocking decision by Premier League officials. The Newcastle non penalty was absolutely ridiculous yesterday.
    The only positive on both yesterday’s and today’s shocking decisions is that neither made a difference to the result.

Just seen it again on MOTD. Tbf the keeper came out and clattered Jota with no intend on getting the ball.

Not sure it was a pen, either way it wasn't like either of the City one's that gave them 3 points and a 1-0 win and didn't decide the game

The more I watch it, the more I think it is a pen and I think Jota doesn't deliberately draw contact from the keeper, he steps that way as he tries to apply the finish, a dink just past the keeper, then in a split second realises he's mishit it and tries to go again, they might just have called it right all said and done, soft, but maybe just about the right call
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Just seen it again on MOTD. Tbf the keeper came out and clattered Jota with no intend on getting the ball.

Can see what you are saying - not as clear an error as I first thought but in all honesty 2 of our 3 goals shouldn’t really stand.

Palace deserved at least a draw today.

Jota stumbled into the keeper. No pen for me.

Our second goal should be chalked off too if VAR is working - Bobby is clearly offside and definitely affecting play

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Can see what you are saying - not as clear an error as I first thought but in all honesty 2 of our 3 goals shouldn’t really stand.

Jota stumbled into the keeper. No pen for me.

Our second goal should be chalked off too if VAR is working - Bobby is clearly offside and definitely affecting play
    Well, we'll count that as 2 of the 7 point VAR swing City had over us back then, fair enough, they still owe us a 5 point swing in decisions they give us and give against City to even up the title race
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

Thats a bit of a stretch - and its from the weird world of the hypothetical too. We minced them in the first half and the second goal was not at all against the run of play. You could argue it made us complacent where one nil wouldn't have, which suited them - the hypotheticals are infinite so this 'should' is not really workable. If my aunt had balls she's be my uncle.

I still don't know how Alisson saved that back heel, by the way.. astonishing awareness

I'm inclined to think it was a penalty now, in this new world of namby pamby football. First of all there was clear contact that obstructed the player's forward movement - many penalties don't even have that. Jota can be argued to have dummied his own move with the ball, even though it looked accidental. The goalkeeper then clattered into him while the ball was still live, nowhere near the goalie and still probably reachable for Jota. That makes it a foul and therefore a pen.

It doesn't matter if it looks like Jota messed it up. Same with these new hand balls. It doesn't matter if there was no intention and the defender had their hands in a respectable non-cheating position any more. Its a pen.

I don't think there is anyone on this forum who thinks that was a pen..im sure a lot of us think that we were lucky generally, and palace probably deserved a point...

So why has so much vitriol been aimed at the football club? ...fans and pundits especially?
    Maybe i listen to too much TalkShite ...lol

I think we as Liverpool fans have ot ask 2 questions.

1.If we were a goal down at Anfield and Palace get our second goal - with a player challenging for the ball in an offside position - under current rules and with VAR technology, would we feel aggrieved?

2. If we were 2:1 down at Home to Palace and they got the Jota penalty, would we feel aggrieved?

Regardless of the numerous good chances Palace had - if we just focus on those 2 key moments, I believe most will conclude we scored 1 legit goal.