Page 1 of 22 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Luis Diaz

Luis Diaz

After crying for months on here about signing someone.Then we sign arguably the best player in the Portuguese league (not my words ) he doesn't get his own thread.
    So is he any good ? I can't remember him being mentioned by the Fifa players on here .

Where's the obligatory YouTube videos Ian ffs

I put this on the first day of January thread, probably should be on his own thread.

Not a traditional path to Premier League stardom as we would know it ….

“Luis Díaz is a remarkable player who will do great things at Liverpool.

His story is also incredible & despite all the talent, it’s a miracle he was able to have a professional career.

At 17 he was severely underweight, unknown & playing on a dusty pitch in his remote village.”

Simon Edwards
    @SimonEdwardsSAF
    ·
    17h
    Replying to
    @SimonEdwardsSAF
    Luis Díaz grew up close to a mining settlement, he ate goat for almost every meal, he didn’t have a television and in the evenings he would listen to his grandma tell stories.

He is from an indigenous Wayuu family and he played football in the village team run by his family.

Colombia was looking to put together a team for the Copa America of Indigenous People in Chile

Luis Díaz’ family was invited to send some players from the club to Bogota for a trial

Luis went but was initially written off as too skinny but in training he impressed & was picked

He impressed in Chile & caught the eye of Colombian legend Carlos Valderrama.

‘El Pibe’ took him to his former club Junior for a trial, they liked him & sent him to their second division affiliate Barranquilla FC.

They said he needed to add 10kg & was on a high protein diet.

He impressed at Barranquilla & was brought across to Junior in 2017

By 2019 he was off to Europe with Porto where he has scored some spectacular goals & showcased his incredible dribbling ability

In 2021 he finished joint top scorer at the Copa America alongside Lionel Messi

How did he celebrate this incredible achievement?

He went back to his village in La Guajira to have a kick about with his friends and family.

Don't remember him from our games v Porto.

Hasn't had great end product stats until recently enough. His current porto stats are standout for him, and he's had a good copa scoring the most and some nice goals from open play in the tournament.
    Played lwf/lm mostly in his career, with a handful of games at cam/cf/rw/rwf.

His dribbling style if you've seen a few clips appears to be one that's really awkward to defend against. Has good control but has a nice change of direction that invites, commits and dupes defenders.
    It won't all be up to big Joel from here on out

I've read his workrate off the ball is impressive. So i expect he should suit our style.
    Think he should be able to flourish under Klopps guidance and coaching regime
    He DOES NOT arrive with the same marketability and commercial appeal as Mbappe. Only a handful of players in the top end of that field.

All in all a good signing, as ever let's see what he can do here.

My 4231 suggestion looks even more appealing now.

Mane Jota Firmino Salah Diaz into 4 would have an option on the bench.

5 into 3 seems to waste some of our assets.

Diaz Lwf - Jota Cf - Mane rwf
    Would probably be the expected line up were Salah unavailable as Mane has played on the right more regularly and got goals/assists from the right.

Widely touted as currently the best player in Portugal.

Well till today at any rate

In terms of an addition, you love to see it

In 4231 positional options

Lwf: Mane/Diaz/Jota
    10: Bobby/Jota/Mane/Diaz?
    Cf: Jota/Bobby/Salah
    Rwf: Salah/Mane

Lwf - Mane/Diaz
    Cf - Bobby/Jota
    Rwf - Salah/Mane*

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Widely touted as currently the best player in Portugal.

Well till today at any rate
    Credit to FSG - they strike again

Don’t think his performances against us were very memorable but he scored a cracker against City

I wonder how long it will be before Jurgen gives him a start.

Buenos Diaz

That's the best I can do. Maybe something about Columbian marching powder..

What I like from his YouTube clips is, after he does all the fancy stuff, he often seems to look for and make a good pass that keeps the play flowing. Watch out, Curtis Jones