Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Luis Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I'm not fishing.

I think Diaz was meant to come in summer as an immediate replacement for Sadio.

I also think that we won't pay Salah what he wants and he will leave.

I don't want either of those scenarios but it's looking likely at the moment
    I think Mane will go. Its arguable that it's the right thing, he's not the player he was and is becoming very frustrating to watch in my opinion. Its been a long time since he's looked anywhere near his best for a prolonged spell.
    I think the Salah situation will get resolved. If he leaves we can say goodbye to any kind of challenging for trophies unless he's replaced by Mbappe or Haaland and we all know that's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I'm not fishing.

I think Diaz was meant to come in summer as an immediate replacement for Sadio.

I also think that we won't pay Salah what he wants and he will leave.

I don't want either of those scenarios but it's looking likely at the moment
    Could be a case of seeing what can be done with the 3 in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I think Mane will go. Its arguable that it's the right thing, he's not the player he was and is becoming very frustrating to watch in my opinion. Its been a long time since he's looked anywhere near his best for a prolonged spell.
    I think the Salah situation will get resolved. If he leaves we can say goodbye to any kind of challenging for trophies unless he's replaced by Mbappe or Haaland and we all know that's not happening.
    I think Mane will go and possibly Bobby also and we'll sign Carvalho, I think Mo and his camp might just lower their demands a little, as brilliant as Mo is and has been for us, he can get completely nullified in a few games a season with our team geared to play to his strengths and abilities more than any other player's by a distance, despite the noises from Mo and his camp, I'm sure that they all understand our playing so much to benefit Mo in particular is not a luxury he'd receive elsewhere and Gini's move to PSG should serve as a cautionary tale to him
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Diaz has started very well, a long way to go still though, needs to work on the runs in behind, inside out runs and outside in runs and to try and cut down the amount of times he comes short, for all the great things he has shown so far, there have been numerous times in his appearances when he came short constantly to Robbo released deeper when he really had to be making a diagonal inside out run to the line for Robbo to release him and to move defenders to open up spaces for other potential passes

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I'm absolutely gutted about Mane, everything he has given us and the incredible person he is also, but for me he has lost what is actually a very small amount of pace, pace off the mark, power and ability to get half a yard with that, and he just isn't the player he was, such are the margins at the very top level, he started last season on fire and absolutely fine, he lost that little bit after having Covid, not through any natural physical decline in his abilities and that makes it even worse for me

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I'm absolutely gutted about Mane, everything he has given us and the incredible person he is also, but for me he has lost what is actually a very small amount of pace, pace off the mark, power and ability to get half a yard with that, and he just isn't the player he was, such are the margins at the very top level, he started last season on fire and absolutely fine, he lost that little bit after having Covid, not through any natural physical decline in his abilities and that makes it even worse for me
    Yep, I think it is really noticeable.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I fully agree. Like Jozza says it is noticeable though, he's lost a little bit of everything as you point out there. He even looked like he was coming close to form early on this season but it didn't last and its harsh of me to day but it can be incredibly frustrating watching him.
    Firmino is the same, even neutral fans say that hes not the influence he was.
    It's a real shame but we all knew it wasn't going to last forever( that front 3),they've given us everything.

The counter argument is that class is permanent and getting the well oiled machine to work is complex - it’s not just an individual’s form that counts. I was watching Firmino the other night and he had good control of the ball, was often ready to create a bit of the old magic and the movement around him from our players wasn’t right - he held onto it or tried a through ball that had little chance of reaching someone. His own performance relies on what his teammates are doing.

The continental teams tend to hold onto players as they age far more than we do. Mané is young by their standards. I didn’t realise Dzeko was still playing.

Madrid still build their attack around Benzema. For Munich, Robben and Ribery were geriatric by the time they retired. I think Mané may still come good.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    The counter argument is that class is permanent and getting the well oiled machine to work is complex - it’s not just an individual’s form that counts. I was watching Firmino the other night and he had good control of the ball, was often ready to create a bit of the old magic and the movement around him from our players wasn’t right - he held onto it or tried a through ball that had little chance of reaching someone. His own performance relies on what his teammates are doing.

The continental teams tend to hold onto players as they age far more than we do. Mané is young by their standards. I didn’t realise Dzeko was still playing.

Madrid still build their attack around Benzema. For Munich, Robben and Ribery were geriatric by the time they retired. I think Mané may still come good.
    Weren't Dzeko and Salah team mates at Roma?
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Agree with the comments above , I came on this thread about 18 months ago and said for whatever reason mane looks like he had lost a few yards of pace , and it was THAT few yards of extra pace which made him the player he was , the ability to knock it past someone and go , it’s not there now, so possibly this is the right time for him to move on as the decline is going to keep happening, i believe it’s the same for Bobby and although his game never relied on pace it seems like he’s lost the ability to really influence a game. Woukd be gutted to see mane go he’s been unreal for us.