Thread: For F**k's Sake, Trent!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Apologies, I have no excuse
    Accepted by me!

Jeez NinteenX

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Jeez NinteenX
    Lol I cant resist sometimes

I only bumped it for badness, to refresh some people's selective memories that certain players aren't the only one's some posters have persistent digs about at the slightest dip in form or odd off game or two, mine aren't that, but are long term about Gomez and Fab, with good reason I might add, less about Gomez now the penny's dropped with Jurgen and he's settled into his new role as back up right back and utility defender I obviously also have reservations about Ox, Jones and Elliot, again with good reason, the latter 2 not so much if we'd have signed another top quality senior CM to replace Gini
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

A question on Trent, as I do aim to be as fair to lads as possible.

There are match-going Reds in here. I'm not, partly due to finances and location - but mainly to do with the "cost" it would have on me on a sensory/anxiety/over-stimulation level based on past experiences with crowded environments.

With my inability, such as it is, to see a live game, I will miss certain parts of the footballing "picture" as the television camera angles don't show everything.

Can anyone shed more light on Trent's levels of effort to get back when we lose the ball higher up the pitch? It's easy for me to criticise his apparent lack of effort when a player beats him for pace, or see him not stretching for a tackle or block - but I wonder if he is getting gassed due to the regularity of running back 35-60 yards time after time - and with the absence of Ramsey, I'm also wondering if Trent is having to play through injury or soreness that is exacerbating his current issues.

Perhaps I am being too generous - but it seems odd to me that a boyhood fan getting to play in front of Anfield every other week can look so nonchalant at times - even if he prefers passing the ball than blocking off passing lanes.

Any thoughts welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    A question on Trent

Can anyone shed more light on Trent's levels of effort to get back when we lose the ball higher up the pitch?
    You're asking all the wrong questions Sid

What has happened to our once best in the universe pressing and counter pressing and incredibly astute positioning in it throughout the entire team that we are no longer quickly winning the ball back when we lose it higher up the pitch denying all opposition sides any opportunity to target Trent with quick counters, let alone giving them every opportunity to target him from every position on the pitch? Is the question you should be asking
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    A question on Trent, as I do aim to be as fair to lads as possible.
    Can anyone shed more light on Trent's levels of effort to get back when we lose the ball higher up the pitch? It's easy for me to criticise his apparent lack of effort when a player beats him for pace, or see him not stretching for a tackle or block - but I wonder if he is getting gassed due to the regularity of running back 35-60 yards time after time - and with the absence of Ramsey, I'm also wondering if Trent is having to play through injury or soreness that is exacerbating his current issues.

Perhaps I am being too generous - but it seems odd to me that a boyhood fan getting to play in front of Anfield every other week can look so nonchalant at times - even if he prefers passing the ball than blocking off passing lanes.

Any thoughts welcome.
    You mean when HE loses the ball.
    Most of those are situations when he gets beaten or makes a stray pass that's fed right back to his flank.

The second goal today in particular was vintage godawful Trent at his worst.
    Get's beaten on what should have been an easy routine clearance, and then rather than busting a lung to either get back into position or cover for the central defense when a Matip is forced to close down his man, he lazily or casually trots a bit and then literally stops at the edge of the box to watch the rest of the play develop eventually leading to a goal.

That was almost a carbon copy of one of the goals we conceded against Napoli.
    Gets beaten, Gomez has to take on his man, he doesn't continue a run to the center to cover for Gomez.
    Gomez for his part also get's beaten rather easily and then it's an easy play for the Napoli attacker who has two targets in the middle to pass to, that poor Virg has to cover both, before they easily score - all while Trent is standing at the literal edge of the box watching (....after the customary lazy run and stop)

At least it was an improvement of sorts over the first goal (or was it?) when after getting beaten in a play resulting from his poor headed clearance he actually made his way back into the box, only to crumple to his knees when he gets beaten again for Toussard to score.

Okay, that's not an improvement, now that I write it out.

But you get my point.
    His second phase or recovery run is non-existent.
    And for a defender in a position where you have to run a lot, that's just shocking.

And I wouldn't even fault the lack of pace if that was truly the issue.

It's the lack of effort looking like he gives a fuss that's really galling to me, whenever I watch him.

The godawful body-language just telegraphing something between surrender or 'couldn't give a toss'

If he's truly fatigued and tired out as you suggest (which would itself be truly a mystery following what was essentially a three week break with an international duty break where he wasn't even picked and watched from the stands), then why would Klopp insist on playing him week in and week out?

Why today, for instance, if he was dead set on bringing on Milner, did Milner not take over for his role rather than the more reliable Tsimikas?

I think you're being too generous.
    He needs to be sat for several games and only come on as impact substitute.

A couple of seasons ago, he had a godawul game where he gave away the ball something like a record 28 times before the half.
    He was substituted from that game for what I think was the first time I could remember Klopp doing in a long time.
    And he didn't get to start a couple of games after that, and when he got back to the starting line, he was much improved.
    I think that was the year or season of the infamous "girlfriend" drama (which everyone tried to cover for him by claiming that it was really his recovery from COVID that was affecting his play.)
    Regardless, the time he had to spend on the bench did indeed help him get his head sorted.

Some players simply don't handle the "not being dropped even when you play awfully" well.
    And he's one of them.

There was once an opposition player who literally openly once joked that they knew they would get a lot of good fortune running their attacks down the right flank (even without pointedly naming Trent), and that that game plan worked to a 't'.
    When even your opposition players are making jokes about it......

I mean......
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Trent is half arsed. It is not sprintsback he is in his own half even near own box where he is just not trying. He is dissapointing with attitude imo

I didn't see the Napoli game or Yesterdays.

For me you can look at average position data and see, we used to play a midfield 3 of

Gini
    .................Hendo
    ........Fab

And we now play

.......................Hendo
    Thiago
    .............Fab

There was a case in the second half. Where Trent kicked the ball skyward with his left foot in his own box. and never bothered to try and clear it again. he just stood of thinking so fking what... seemed that way anyway
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    There was a case in the second half. Where Trent kicked the ball skyward with his left foot in his own box. and never bothered to try and clear it again. he just stood of thinking so fking what... seemed that way anyway
    That is the one where Matip/VVD went and won that header I think.

It’s most likely one of them shouted so you would not go into the space of the CB.

I think the problem we have is when Harvey plays especially he needs to be deeper does Trent as they both go into the same areas of the field.

As I’m not a coach/analyst I’m not sure it is as easy to fix as the above.

Calls to play Ramsey are crazy we have no idea how good he is he has come from Aberdeen so no chance you throw him into any CL game or the Arsenal/City game the only option is Gomez.