Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718192262 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason No. 398,285 why it's not good to have your club owned by a Petro-Oligarch

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    The idea of sanctions is to encourage people to stop acting the cunt, so why aren't we sanctioning Israel and Saudi
    or ourselves?

The idea of sanctions is to encourage people to stop acting the cunt, so why aren't we sanctioning Israel and Saudi
    Offering soup to Irish during the famine for conversion to protestantism was a sanction that in the long run, left a lot of resentment towards the monarchy & whigs in particular. We could just say English.

Often they don't work as intended and just entrench support within their own against the enemy, and defectors.

Outside the eu/nato alliance they don't think ye have much authority anymore. Lots of army power and economic might, but not a moral leg to stand on.

Like the South African example stated is where a minority was being targeted. Today there's some element of retribution going on over there. Russians, Iranians, Chinese etc aren't minority ethnic governments.

If a large majority are pro-russia it's going to be very hard to convince them otherwise with sanctions.
    It's also unlikely to be like Afghanistan where the taliban gladly took us arms to fight the soviets.
    In the Eastern regions those folks mostly identify as Russian. Holding the west would be far more difficult along the Afghanistan line.
    Russias army isn't as well equipped as nato/eu&allies to hold middle Eastern nations or Western Ukraine.
    But they're strong enough to give it a go unless it escalates with nuclear alliances.

Also these nations are aware of the sanctions policy and prepare for them. By some reports preparing for sanctions and safeguarding their economies has actually seen their economies improve as a side effect.
    When a play becomes predictable it loses its effect. Like if I'm expecting to be starved out, I prepare, whereas when I don't expect it, I'm unprepared.

In many ways the world's wealth has resided in Western Europe, America, Canada etc.

Within these nations a dominant ideology has emerged largely speaking and around the world not everyone wants to have to be a london/newyork/berlin/california/Paris model citizen to get some soup as a result of being deemed a decent human being by their superiors.

China, India, Russia, Brazil, Islam, Africans all have their own opinions on what is better.
    They can see how nations and cultures can be consumed/modernised into those of their masters.
    Take soup good, lose identity bad.

Looking at the global scene and health indicators the rest of the world is somewhat booming, whilst the west is in decline to a degree or two.

One of the brexit aspects was opening up trade with the rest of the world as it is where growth is occurring and new markets emerging.

China by some metrics is a paper tiger, and in others is an almighty force. Training as many engineers in a year cycle as the USA has in its entirety. Lots of import relations and a big manufacturer. Building 150 nuclear plants in the next 25ish years.

These nations are looking at a post Western order. The Chinese have ran big trade surpluses against America. They've a tonne of dollars in reserve and watch America via the petrodollar just print tonnes more reducing the value of their reserves. They are not gonna tolerate a world where the west is always right and printing money willy nilly to fix problems in the short term.
    They save dollars and then see their value plummet as a result of printing more.

Most of these nations, including Africa ones and South American, can see how China has operated a eu like policy of buying up countries without the political union. But they see better terms and are aware that the bigger dog will always get the bigger bone. So better terms are preferable.
    China and the rest of the BRICs are perceived very differently outside the west.

China's power is noticeable. Since being opened up to trade by Nixon they've grown significantly.
    Routinely Xi, just gets called President Xi. Whereas the other 3 routinely have descriptors attached to their names. Far right Bolsonaro & Modi, Thug Putin though he gets more variability with descriptors.
    These nations are fed up by the condescension from their higher class nations.

In ways the west looks like a post-christian, woke order intent on converting the world to its ideology. An ideology driven through institutions, corporations and an effectively a minority of public support.

If you think the Western ideology is best, fair enough. But a soup kitchen for conversion seems a little tasteless to the morally inferior.
    It's almost like a cool teen ideology presented a she pinnacle of human civilization.

I remember bono having a concert in Dublin with his 360 degree stage. There's a curfew for the resident in the area on work and noise. He needed to have us work all through the night and worked around the prior agreement. As part of his performances he'd bring out folks calling for the freeing of the Myanmar lass. She got the keys to Dublin City and a Nobel Peace Prize. He and Bob demanded action.
    After she got in power, well woopsies. She defended herself against genocide charges and locked up journalists.
    In a way that encapsulates Western diplomacy, as I see it.

Looking back at their rapid rise via an insane splurge in the transfer market over a 14-month spell.

2003/04 -

Hernan Crespo
    Damien Duff
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    Claude Makelele
    Adrian Mutu
    Scott Parker
    Wayne Bridge
    Njitap Geremi
    Joe Cole
    Glen Johnson
    Aleksey Smertin

2004/05 -

Didier Drogba
    Ricardo Carvalho
    Paulo Ferreira
    Arjen Robben
    Tiago Mendes
    Petr Cech
    Jiri Jarosik
    Alex
    Mateja Kezman
    Marco Ambrosio

21 incoming transfers in that 14-month spell. I dread to think what the figure would be these days, with appropriate adjustments for inflation - got to be £400,000,000 or more?

Height of madness.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    or ourselves?
    Exactly
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Exactly
    Yup. It’s impossible to defend the way we’ve behaved in the last 30 years as America’s lapdog, and for centuries before that as a colonial power.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Yup. It’s impossible to defend the way we’ve behaved in the last 30 years as America’s lapdog, and for centuries before that as a colonial power.
    It fucking winds me up, the fucking brassneck of the twats, we are in absolutely no position whatsoever to attempt to take the moral high ground and criticise any other country

Our media, omitting important information as ever, or suggesting it's made up, when other European media are reporting it accurately, the entire Abramovich thing is fucking ridiculous, our fucking Gov took millions in donations and help launder the Russians stolen money for them for years and the only single person to say anything about it and persistently call it out was Corbyn and they and almost all his fellow MPs from all sides of the house ridiculed, chastised and criticised him for it

People may not like him because there was the biggest orchestrated media and social media 'no smoke without fire' smear and misinformation campaign about the guy to make everyone believe what they were making up and insinuating, the like of which I have never witnessed in my entire lifetime and that none of us will likely ever witness again, but, the bloke was absolutely correct, as he has always been on every big call in the last 30 years

Karma finally came hunting for Chelsea and they deserve to burn. Good riddance. They won one title before Roman’s stolen fortune, good luck getting another.

There is an old saying 'Behind every fortune there is a crime'.

If they get hard up and/or are no longer the team he believed he was joining in terms of competitiveness, we should get Havertz if we can, he'd be absolutely incredible at No9 in our team, I wanted him when I saw him playing for Leverkusen when he was just 17, I was watching them to have a look at Brandt over 90 minutes in a few games, as I was watching Leipzig to watch Werner and saw Konate

He's still only 23 in the summer too, and would be the ideal replacement for Bobby, much as I love Bobby and as incredible as he has been for us, Havertz would also be a pretty significant upgrade on Bobby at his best to be fair, he'd fit our team like a Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    There is an old saying 'Behind every fortune there is a crime'.
    True, even Jk Rowling is vilified as a hate crime persona. She disagrees with the translobby.

Shed contend that if my granny had balls she'd be my grandad.
    Whereas the socially-just/politically-just truth states, if my granny had balls they'd be her cock and balls.
    Like rape victims are pushed to be punished for misgendering their rapists penis.