Page 9 of 108 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161959 ... LastLast

Thread: Football News

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    David Moores was a genuine fan as well as chairman. I think he oversaw the most difficult period in our modern history, and of course ended up selling to Hicks and Gillette, which he later apologised for, said he deeply regretted it and had been badly advised.
    Always came across as a sound man, he and Parry got pelters for the H and G deal but he thought it was for the best. I thought it was unfair the criticism he recieved, He always wanted what was right for the club.
    RIP.

Jurgen Klopp on Sky Sports...

"It looks like Man City will be the Champions"

I'm guessing anyone who sees a slightly negative post on here and goes batshit won't be bothered about him saying stuff like this?

You know someone who actually matte s
    Last edited by Kev0909; 24th July 2022 at 05:08 PM.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Think he’s taking the piss. He doesn’t believe that for one minute.

Well the tv schedule will continue to help them.to the point of unfairness
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    It's the smart thing to say to be fair.

It takes a touch of public pressure off our lads so we can go about our own game, whilst we (the Manager, the squad) will genuinely believe we have every chance. Sky and BT will of course say it's between us and Man City because we have run them so close on 2 occasions, plus a foregone conclusion doesn't make for good hype.

They also would have won five Leagues in a row if it weren't for our 19/20 season - so objectively it does make a fair amount of logical sense that they are a "safe bet" - but Jürgen will have every faith we can do it and will be bang up for the challenge.

"It's a smart thing to do"

You wouldn't be saying the same if Pep or anyone else came out saying that.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Mind games init. The bookies say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Think he'd be taking the piss if he'd said it looks like Man City are going to win the Champions League

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

I think they will win the league too..

but I wouldn't discount us just yet

I think you've missed the point of those conversations, Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

Could you clarify?

Are you saying it would be stupid if Pep said that Man City are probably going to win the League? I'd agree with that - it sets them up for egg on his face if they don't.

Are you saying it would be stupid if Pep said that Klopp's Liverpool are going to win the League? I'd probably agree with that too - smacks of being a bit fake - worthy an adversary as Klopp's Liverpool may be (from their side) they know they nearly won 5 in a row, financial doping and questionable refereeing along the way.

Are you saying it would be stupid if Conte or Arteta or ten Haag said that Man City are probably going to win the League? Then I would personally disagree. Four of five is an inarguable recent record - it's nearly like backing the Chicago Bulls for a spell of the 90s - more people expect Man City to win than not - don't think there's anything particularly bad about a Manager saying so - in public at least.

Now what WOULD be sad is if we were resigned to it behind closed doors - "okay lads, Man City are winning it this year, just give it your best" - but we know Jürgen's not afraid of a fight - he could have had the Bayern or Real Madrid jobs by now, but he did 7 years with Dortmund and has signed a contract extension with us. Sure, the money will be good - but he loves a challenge and we have a squad full of lads who will love it too.

Hopefully we can do it this year. I think it could be tricky as I expect a slightly slow start as we adjust to the departure of Mane and the runs/positioning of Carvalho and Núñez for example - but if we do get a decent start it should only improve, rather than capitulate - we'll know a little more 10 games into the season.