Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's football/sport AGAIN

I'm not fussed about the coverage women's football receive, or the fact that it appears on BBC/Sky Sports websites. We now have a generation of young women who want to play at a decent standard but the grass roots element isn't there. Raising the profile of women's football will filter down to enable more girls to get in to the game and remove the stigma of doing sport at a younger age which can only be a good thing.
    You only need to see the standard of goalkeeping in the women's game to see that there is so much room for improvement, but you need to be a certain type of self hating nut-job to be a keeper, and without opening up the game to a wider catchment, that'll be slower to happen.
    I don't think that anyone is arguing that they need to have the same coverage, pay etc, however, having enough coverage to enable them to grow the game at a faster rate than they've been allowed to grow in the past seems entirely fair.
    You are essentially an oxygen thief.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I don't get why this annoys people so much? Maybe with some investment the standard will increase? It doesn't have to be mainstream, it doesn't have to "compete" with the men's game.
    It seems entirely set on positioning itself against the men's game. Moaning about inequality of pay, interest and profile with respect to the pinnacle of men's sport. Moaning about social media.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC vs PFC View Post
    I'm not fussed about the coverage women's football receive, or the fact that it appears on BBC/Sky Sports websites. We now have a generation of young women who want to play at a decent standard but the grass roots element isn't there. Raising the profile of women's football will filter down to enable more girls to get in to the game and remove the stigma of doing sport at a younger age which can only be a good thing.
    You only need to see the standard of goalkeeping in the women's game to see that there is so much room for improvement, but you need to be a certain type of self hating nut-job to be a keeper, and without opening up the game to a wider catchment, that'll be slower to happen.
    I don't think that anyone is arguing that they need to have the same coverage, pay etc, however, having enough coverage to enable them to grow the game at a faster rate than they've been allowed to grow in the past seems entirely fair.
    Participation isn't a particularly big issue in women's sport with respect to access. They are naturally less interested in it. But there's plenty of access.
    For women the issue in sports is more about the drop out rates that occur as they age. Which is down to them becoming women largely, and having different life strategies and interests.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC vs PFC View Post

I don't think that anyone is arguing that they need to have the same coverage, pay etc, however, having enough coverage to enable them to grow the game at a faster rate than they've been allowed to grow in the past seems entirely fair
    The leading American female footballer was arguing exactly that and was given the Whitehouse as the platform to make her demands. She used comparative goals scored as a part of her argument.

That argument has also been successful already at Wimbledon in what seems to be an act of mainly political pressure as it is not fair - the mens money is going to the women and that revenue gap doesn’t change with time (as your position of good will hopes it would).

Using the word allow as you have is ambiguous as you may mean that they have not been allowed by men, who have oppressed them. Or you may also mean that they have been oppressed by God who chose them to do the important role of having babies rather than the silly role of kicking a football around in order to simulate hunting skills and therefore develop attractiveness as a mate, as well as being paid well for the extreme skill levels and single-minded commitment, which makes them good providers for more vulnerable women.

The reason we take football so seriously, and why footballers get all the hot wives, is because it symbolises something essential in life and that isn’t equity.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    My lad got it both barrels the other night from my daughter after mentioning that his school girls team had come second in an athletics tournament. Apparently he can’t call them a girls team. It’s sexist and wrong…?!

I shit you not.

Eh, ahem, well, would that make Women's Football a hate crime ?

Say no to hate, say no to women's football

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    The ladies play three sets rather than five in tennis. The ladies play off tees at least a hundred yards closer in golf. They do heptathlon rather than a decathlon. I personally love watching all those sports

Bear in mind we've reached the point where the leaders of our political parties can't even define what a woman is. I don't think anyone here is suggesting women shouldn't want to play football or be allowed to, but something else is happening. The atmosphere is developing where the only thought we are allowed to think is that they should be equal and the only reason they aren't equal is because of some kind of oppression or disadvantage imposed upon women.

Whilst women have no doubt received many disadvantages, the long history of football has emerged in significant part from the disadvantages imposed upon working class men. It has emerged organically and passionately, in partnership with the fans - particularly live spectators not TV viewers - and not as the result of an ideology about the way the world ought to be.

The people at Wimbledon decided they should be paid equally despite obvious differences in quality, amount of work put in, level of competition, and revenue generation (public interest). The same kinds of people don't think we need to be told who 'Engand' are anymore, or even who 'Liverpool FC' are because it would be sexist. These new attitudes are sources of irritation and open to criticism, in my opinion.

If you think the problem will be solved when England women catch up with England you will have a wait on your hands that will outlive you and me and therefore you can never be proved wrong in your lifetime. The reparations must go on forever.

I would also say football is a special category because so much of it is so incredibly shit. If you've sat through 90mins of Dunfermline vs St Mirren on a waterlogged pitch in mid January I believe you are entitled to wonder what the point is to watching women struggle to make the game beautiful. Even the European Cup Finals are quite boring unless you have half the city descending on Madrid or Paris

To just say 'they should be equal' is a sophistry
    Spot on, well said.
    It's unequal equality.
    Most women's sports are off-shoots of the men's games - which men have fought hard for.
    The women, on the other hand, have just waltzed in and are reaping the benefits of something they have never had to fight for.
    (In my opinion)
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    You're not wrong.

I've had someone tell me I was "propagating heteronormative rape culture" - my crime was that I held the door open for them.
    Did you ask the door for consent, or did you rape the door ?

Forced celebrity breeding..

Women's football could do with two goalkeepers, to attempt to reduce the cringeworthiness.
    Either that, or give them child size goals.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Walked into the lounge, tv on, no one in here, not an unusual event, England women are on.

First thing I see is an England player go to cross the ball with her right but kicks it with her left first and the ball goes 90 degrees from where she is aiming to hit it.

Just about stopped laughing and wiped the tears from my eyes when another England player gets the ball in the box, she is slightly touched …and I mean slightly.. she thinks about it then decides to throw herself to the ground in an absolutely outrageous dive.
    Hilarious.
    Not for the opposition though it’s given. Penalty scored.
    Two minutes later England score again but the assistant rules it out for offside but the ball is cut back from virtually on the bye line … can’t be??
    VAR corrects the mistake
    England 2-0 Norway

It’s like watching 12 year old school kids being refereed by teachers.