Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's football/sport AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    How about beach volleyball or waterpolo?
    Dodge ball!!!

“Inner-City Sumo... We take fat people from the inner cities, put them in big nappies, and then get them to throw each other out of a circle that we draw with chalk on the ground. Very cheap to make. Do it in a pub car park... If you don't do it, Sky will.”

Pitch perfect Partridge.

I've got cheese!!
    Last edited by Red October; 21st July 2022 at 04:24 PM.
    From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it. Groucho Marx

Go on…smell my cheese

Bill Burr is good on women in sport

Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

“Where are all the feminists?”

Classic…

Thanks for sharing, almost pissed my pants but made my night

Lots of women are superb athletes. Far better at their game than me or you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Bill Burr is good on women in sport
    It's really interesting to observe things in smaller sports that don't get big media attention. I'll provide some context then a weird example of pandering.

Quad skating (or roller-skating) is rather "in" at the moment. It's very heavily female-dominated and very LGBT-oriented due to the Roller Derby scene being that way. There's a huge percentage of Quad users who would be both women and self-proclaimed feminists and Roller Derby is seen to be a "women's" sport - so much so that when men do it they call it "Merby" - male Derby.

An interesting development is that over the last few years they have been adding grind plates to their skates and showing up at Skateparks.

Now, Rollerblading (Inline Skates, not Quads) is a very limited industry financially so you will see Rollerblade events that are open to Quad users. So you might see an Inline comp that has a Quad section for example that - from the Inline side "we" probably hope to get some younger people buying Inlines as the average age of people who do "Aggressive Inline" (gaps, rails, etc) is way too high which won't sustain the companies in the long run.

A certain amount of skills are transferable. If you can ride around on Inlines, you can probably do so on Quads. I should point out that competitions don't have gender categories in these sports, generally speaking.

So an event called "Blading Cup" had a Quad section. Most of the girls there are doing little grinds on the curb, maybe jumping down a small stair-set etc. and this guy Montre Livingston enters the Quad comp - he is an Inliner, but remember, transferrable skills.

He shows up, does a bunch of stuff like 540 the stair-gap, does a Misty flip - tricks that none of the Quad practitioners can do or have been doing - they tell him he was won. Then right at the last minute they announce him as second, because having a MAN ("how dare he, da Patriarchy" etc) who focuses on Inline come in and raise the bar for Quad skating in the space of 45 seconds is apparently a bad look.

So the inferior athlete will be remembered as the winner. The prize money was a few thousand and the fella in question is a single Dad and he won fair and square. What grates me more about it is there's a whole subculture to Inline with interesting stories about how some of the tricks got their name (Tom "the fish" Fry invented a grind called the Fishbrain for example) and the Quad users just use our names for their tricks - totally propagating something that we worked at etc but there's never a nod from Quad scene to Inline scene or an extended hand of friendship - if anything Quad users hang off the coat-tails of the much bigger Skateboard industry despite it being one that sought to squash Inline's popularity in the late 90s - early 00s.

I find that shit grimly fascinating - like those women who constantly update their Facebook with "don't objectify women" but they'll make small cock jokes, or those who say "I won't date a guy under 6-foot" while my shorter pals are generally really decent lads - who can do nothing to change their height - but would be seen as "misogynistic" for preferring women below a certain weight - something they have the power to control.

Double standards and mental gymnastics are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It's really interesting to observe things in smaller sports that don't get big media attention. I'll provide some context then a weird example of pandering.

Quad skating (or roller-skating) is rather "in" at the moment. It's very heavily female-dominated and very LGBT-oriented due to the Roller Derby scene being that way. There's a huge percentage of Quad users who would be both women and self-proclaimed feminists and Roller Derby is seen to be a "women's" sport - so much so that when men do it they call it "Merby" - male Derby.

An interesting development is that over the last few years they have been adding grind plates to their skates and showing up at Skateparks.

Now, Rollerblading (Inline Skates, not Quads) is a very limited industry financially so you will see Rollerblade events that are open to Quad users. So you might see an Inline comp that has a Quad section for example that - from the Inline side "we" probably hope to get some younger people buying Inlines as the average age of people who do "Aggressive Inline" (gaps, rails, etc) is way too high which won't sustain the companies in the long run.

A certain amount of skills are transferable. If you can ride around on Inlines, you can probably do so on Quads. I should point out that competitions don't have gender categories in these sports, generally speaking.

So an event called "Blading Cup" had a Quad section. Most of the girls there are doing little grinds on the curb, maybe jumping down a small stair-set etc. and this guy Montre Livingston enters the Quad comp - he is an Inliner, but remember, transferrable skills.

He shows up, does a bunch of stuff like 540 the stair-gap, does a Misty flip - tricks that none of the Quad practitioners can do or have been doing - they tell him he was won. Then right at the last minute they announce him as second, because having a MAN ("how dare he, da Patriarchy" etc) who focuses on Inline come in and raise the bar for Quad skating in the space of 45 seconds is apparently a bad look.

So the inferior athlete will be remembered as the winner. The prize money was a few thousand and the fella in question is a single Dad and he won fair and square. What grates me more about it is there's a whole subculture to Inline with interesting stories about how some of the tricks got their name (Tom "the fish" Fry invented a grind called the Fishbrain for example) and the Quad users just use our names for their tricks - totally propagating something that we worked at etc but there's never a nod from Quad scene to Inline scene or an extended hand of friendship - if anything Quad users hang off the coat-tails of the much bigger Skateboard industry despite it being one that sought to squash Inline's popularity in the late 90s - early 00s.

I find that shit grimly fascinating - like those women who constantly update their Facebook with "don't objectify women" but they'll make small cock jokes, or those who say "I won't date a guy under 6-foot" while my shorter pals are generally really decent lads - who can do nothing to change their height - but would be seen as "misogynistic" for preferring women below a certain weight - something they have the power to control.

Double standards and mental gymnastics are weird.
    It is not only women troubled by their sexual identity and status in life.
    It is a growing phenomenon.
    Get used to it.
    Not bothered by it myself.
    Star Trek type personas beckon!

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    It is not only women troubled by their sexual identity and status in life.
    It is a growing phenomenon.
    Get used to it.
    Not bothered by it myself.
    Star Trek type personas beckon!
    No issue with anyone who has trouble with sexual identity. I've gay and bisexual friends, I've two non-binary friends. I don't always agree with certain things surrounding these issues (there's a women and LGBT night at my local Skatepark, which translates to "anyone but straight men") but nothing against individuals trying to find themselves whatsoever.

I do have problems with a sport's scene being so insecure about it's average participant's skill level that they didn't let someone who outperformed them at their own game with much less practice win an event that they, on meritocracy, should have won.