Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Women's football/sport AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    A complete lack of diversity and not at all inspiring to people who look like me.

Just like the British women 4x100m relay team the other day.
    What kind of dirty bigot finds inspiration in people who look different ?

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    What do you mean Daffyd? What do you look like?
    It depends who is doing the looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    He looks a bit like Nye Bevan
    from a certain perspective, yes!

It depends who is doing the looking.
    'A complete lack of diversity and not at all inspiring to people who look like me'
    Sounds like you are talking about how you view yourself. please explain further?

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    'A complete lack of diversity and not at all inspiring to people who look like me'
    Sounds like you are talking about how you view yourself. please explain further?
    I was replying to CCTV, who said: "I hear Englands women team are racists now"

I assumed he was light-heartedly (with a touch of Father Ted) referring to the recent complaints in the media that the England women's team is very white and lacking diversity. (One would hope they are simply fielding the best eleven that they can, like the four best British women sprinters happened to be non-white and good luck to them).

When certain fields (sport, business, politics) lack diversity we are led to believe that some little kiddies will not be inspired to venture into those fields (as opposed to being inspired to be the first trailblazer for their kind)

A phrase I often hear is "they don't look like me". This usually refers to skin colour. How superficial! Not all people with the same skin colour look the same! My position is that it depends on who is doing the looking and what they are looking for.

For example, I could complain that I am uninspired to become prime minister of this country because the current incumbent "doesn't look like me". I am a white man, with blonde hair, in his fifties, a little overweight... so some would say he does look like me. But our backgrounds, our education, our CVs, our bank accounts, our character traits are all like chalk and cheese.

So I was just taking the piss. Hope that helps.

I was replying to CCTV, who said: "I hear Englands women team are racists now"

I assumed he was light-heartedly (with a touch of Father Ted) referring to the recent complaints in the media that the England women's team is very white and lacking diversity. (One would hope they are simply fielding the best eleven that they can, like the four best British women sprinters happened to be non-white and good luck to them).

When certain fields (sport, business, politics) lack diversity we are led to believe that some little kiddies will not be inspired to venture into those fields (as opposed to being inspired to be the first trailblazer for their kind)

A phrase I often hear is "they don't look like me". This usually refers to skin colour. How superficial! Not all people with the same skin colour look the same! My position is that it depends on who is doing the looking and what they are looking for.

For example, I could complain that I am uninspired to become prime minister of this country because the current incumbent "doesn't look like me". I am a white man, with blonde hair, in his fifties, a little overweight... so some would say he does look like me. But our backgrounds, our education, our CVs, our bank accounts, our character traits are all like chalk and cheese.

So I was just taking the piss. Hope that helps.
    Thanks Daffyd for clarifying!
    I did not realise you were taking the piss.
    At least we now have some idea of what you look like!
    Good health to you !

For example, I could complain that I am uninspired to become prime minister of this country because the current incumbent "doesn't look like me".
    We already had a minister of health who looked like you after the war. Stop wingeing

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    We already had a minister of health who looked like you after the war. Stop wingeing
    Haha! before my time, and I doubt we'll see another Labour government any time soon...

So if England win tonight is that football finally" coming home"

I won't be watching. I don't like the jingoism.
    And anyway doesn't it clash with our game against Strasbourg?