Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's football/sport AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    England 1-0 Austria

My first and probably my last, 90 minutes of women’s football. All topped off with the ubiquitous and ever tedious Sweet Caroline at the end.

Utterly turgid tripe.
    Oh dear!
    Poor you.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Can’t wait for Norway v N.Ireland, been having a bit of trouble sleeping.

You don't have to watch this.

Nope and I won’t obviously.

Just a throw away comment in response to the ridiculous levels of media overhype, currently surrounding women’s football.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Nope and I won’t obviously.

Just a throw away comment in response to the ridiculous levels of media overhype, currently surrounding women’s football.
    I dislike the 3 lions promotion in the first place on historical grounds and the lionesses is even worse perhaps for that reason.

I don't get why this annoys people so much? Maybe with some investment the standard will increase? It doesn't have to be mainstream, it doesn't have to "compete" with the men's game.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I don't get why this annoys people so much? Maybe with some investment the standard will increase? It doesn't have to be mainstream, it doesn't have to "compete" with the men's game.
    It’s the politics. On the bbc website the football page is awash with it as if that’s why people go to the bbc football page

I personally do not believe it is a sport that will become interesting to the neutral fan in the way tennis, golf and other sports are. Football is hard enough to make interesting without asking women to play it

I don't think we are asking women to play football, it is more a case of them wanting to. For a women to play just like a man they would have to loose a certain amount of their femininity and we don't want that do we, but they will get better, we don't complain when they compete in track and field, one of the Liverpool ladies, I think her name is Megan can put a throw in on to the penalty spot, how many of the men can do that?

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    I don't think we are asking women to play football, it is more a case of them wanting to. For a women to play just like a man they would have to loose a certain amount of their femininity and we don't want that do we, but they will get better, we don't complain when they compete in track and field, one of the Liverpool ladies, I think her name is Megan can put a throw in on to the penalty spot, how many of the men can do that?
    The ladies play three sets rather than five in tennis. The ladies play off tees at least a hundred yards closer in golf. They do heptathlon rather than a decathlon. I personally love watching all those sports

Bear in mind we've reached the point where the leaders of our political parties can't even define what a woman is. I don't think anyone here is suggesting women shouldn't want to play football or be allowed to, but something else is happening. The atmosphere is developing where the only thought we are allowed to think is that they should be equal and the only reason they aren't equal is because of some kind of oppression or disadvantage imposed upon women.

Whilst women have no doubt received many disadvantages, the long history of football has emerged in significant part from the disadvantages imposed upon working class men. It has emerged organically and passionately, in partnership with the fans - particularly live spectators not TV viewers - and not as the result of an ideology about the way the world ought to be.

The people at Wimbledon decided they should be paid equally despite obvious differences in quality, amount of work put in, level of competition, and revenue generation (public interest). The same kinds of people don't think we need to be told who 'Engand' are anymore, or even who 'Liverpool FC' are because it would be sexist. These new attitudes are sources of irritation and open to criticism, in my opinion.

If you think the problem will be solved when England women catch up with England you will have a wait on your hands that will outlive you and me and therefore you can never be proved wrong in your lifetime. The reparations must go on forever.

I would also say football is a special category because so much of it is so incredibly shit. If you've sat through 90mins of Dunfermline vs St Mirren on a waterlogged pitch in mid January I believe you are entitled to wonder what the point is to watching women struggle to make the game beautiful. Even the European Cup Finals are quite boring unless you have half the city descending on Madrid or Paris

To just say 'they should be equal' is a sophistry