Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314151617181922 ... LastLast

Thread: Midweek Games 9/05

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Luton Town 1-1 Huddersfield.

Will be interesting to see which one of them wins out to play Nottingham Forest or Sheffield United.

Fulham and Bournemouth promoted already of course.
    I'm hoping Forest get promoted, they've been away from the top flight for too long and Steve Cooper is their manager and I like Jurgen's proteges to all be doing well and gaining experience, for the day he does sadly eventually leave us, although I think we'll see at least one more contract extension , but given our interest in Portugese players for our future team(s) when the day does eventually come, I expect it will be Pep and our current coaches/boot room who take up the mantle and carry the torch forward and not Stevie as quite a number desperately hope it will be
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Lots of ex-Reds interest in Sheff Utd's fortunes too - Brewster, Jack Robinson, Ben Davies...

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Lots of ex-Reds interest in Sheff Utd's fortunes too - Brewster, Jack Robinson, Ben Davies...
    Ah, Brewster - £23.5m we got for him.

Buy-back clause of an alleged £40m still there until June 2023 if we don't fancy buying players of the quality of oh, I don't know, Luis Diaz.

Prime example of why bringing through young Homegrown lads and selling the ones who aren't quite going to make it is a key part of any sensible club's strategy in England. It's not the most pleasant thing to say (talking about human beings here, not car parts or whatever) but sadly it's all part of it.

Prime example of why bringing through young Homegrown lads and selling the ones who aren't quite going to make it is a key part of any sensible club's strategy in England. It's not the most pleasant thing to say (talking about human beings here, not car parts or whatever) but sadly it's all part of it.
    You make it sound in some way callous, I don't think it is that at all, I think it is, with the very best intentions, trying to find the very best young players and offering each of them the very best training, coaching, facilities and opportunities to try and become the best young aspiring players they can possibly be at their age, the then further develop them with the first team

Sadly, they can't all make it

Good to see Luton in with a shout. Last in top flight in 1992. They then managed to fall out of the football league in about 2009, not helped by heavy points deductions for financial irregularities. The got promoted back to the football league in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Good to see Luton in with a shout. Last in top flight in 1992. They then managed to fall out of the football league in about 2009, not helped by heavy points deductions for financial irregularities. The got promoted back to the football league in 2014.
    That is quite the story!

Ah, Brewster - £23.5m we got for him.

Buy-back clause of an alleged £40m still there until June 2023 if we don't fancy buying players of the quality of oh, I don't know, Luis Diaz.

I'd love to think that one day we won't need to buy a player like Luis Diaz because we'll produce one.

I looked Diaz up on wiki and it seems he broke into the senior game at an early age, despite malnutrition, and had a pre-contract agreement with Cardiff City! Some seem destined to make it whatever but too many don't.

As for Brewster, he already has a unique set of medals to put on the table, which is what matters, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    As for Brewster, he already has a unique set of medals to put on the table, which is what matters, apparently.
    I might make the joke about Thiago, but Brewster really IS all fur coat and no knickers

One thing I think Jurgen needs to manage better with the young lads who 'are all part of it' as they are training with the first team when we win major trophies is their egos. There's the danger of these young lads thinking 'they've arrived' when in reality they haven't even taken their first baby steps

For me that was part of Brewster's problem, he had a Champions League winners medal he hadn't earned and thought he was the dogs bollocks and a top player as a result when he was nowhere near that, I think Jones is the same

Needs watching and managing better

Not midweek, but SPurs lead through a dodgy pen right on the stroke of half time, I despair at times, the ball isn't going anywhere, it hits Barnes' arm in an unnatural position, but his arm is in an unnatural position because he shoves it out trying to regain his balance as a Spurs players tugs him back to try and prevent him challenging for the ball

I don't know how you can look at that with any honesty and give Spurs a pen, if you watch the sequence of play I saw, I think the only honest assessment is, it hits his arm in an unnatural position, his arms gone into that position trying to regain his balance because a Spurs player tugged him, free kick to Burnley for the tug, surely

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Not midweek, but SPurs lead through a dodgy pen right on the stroke of half time, I despair at times, the ball isn't going anywhere, it hits Barnes' arm in an unnatural position, but his arm is in an unnatural position because he shoves it out trying to regain his balance as a Spurs players tugs him back to try and prevent him challenging for the ball

I don't know how you can look at that with any honesty and give Spurs a pen, if you watch the sequence of play I saw, I think the only honest assessment is, it hits his arm in an unnatural position, his arms gone into that position trying to regain his balance because a Spurs player tugged him, free kick to Burnley for the tug, surely
    Dear 19x, and out of curiosity, what is so wrong with all fur coat and no knickers? Sounds interesting to me!
    Got to be fake fur though!