Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Thiago thread

Oh come now Miller calm down mate. No need to get so touchy,

I have simply stated facts. And your reasoning seems somewhat agenda based as all the evidence seems to refute it. Granted the gaffer might not rate him higher than Minamino (doubtful)

If you are saying he is only our best because the rest aren’t up to it - that could have legs but these facts are:

Games with Thiago

24 played
    20 wins
    3 draws
    1 loss

61 pts from 72
    Dropping 11 pts out of 24 games

Games without Thiago

12 played
    6 wins
    5 draws
    1 loss

23 puts from 36
    Dropping 13 pts out of 12 games

So in the 12 games Thiago hasn’t featured in, we dropped 2 more points than we did in the 24 games he has played in.

Edited games won 20 out of 24. It’s great because we can see literally 2x games played versus missed.

Everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinion btw. I don’t see where I have suggested otherwise. Don’t understand where the need to get personal is stemming from. .
    Last edited by Steveo; 15th May 2022 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Oh come now Miller calm down mate. No need to get so touchy,

I have simply stated facts. And your reasoning seems somewhat agenda based as all the evidence seems to refute it. Granted the gaffer might not rate him higher than Minamino (doubtful)

If you are saying he is only our best because the rest aren’t up to it - that could have legs but these facts are:

Games with Thiago

24 played
    20 wins
    3 draws
    1 loss

61 pts from 72
    Dropping 11 pts out of 24 games

Games without Thiago

12 played
    6 wins
    5 draws
    1 loss

23 puts from 36
    Dropping 13 pts out of 12 games

So in the 12 games Thiago hasn’t featured in, we dropped 2 more points than we did in the 24 games he has played in.

Edited games won 20 out of 24. It’s great because we can see literally 2x games played versus missed.

Everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinion btw. I don’t see where I have suggested otherwise. Don’t understand where the need to get personal is stemming from. .
    Tbf you are just providing data which reinforces Milners point, as well as making your own.

With Thiago = mostly with Fab & Hendo
    Without Thiago = mostly someone Milner rates less highly playing instead of Thiago.

Whilst there's a lot of argument over players, I think we can all agree on a few things.

Need an option at RB to cover Trent - Gomez/Neco/Ramsay.
    I'm happy with Gomez if he's happy covering CB & RB

Same with RWF - a Salah cover/foil
    Tbh don't think we have an in-house option, but I don't watch the youths.

We do need some younger men in midfield to impact games immediately and prepare for the future.
    Everyone has people they'd move on before Thiago. The core midgield 3 this season are getting older.

The squads fairy close to having a very solid B-Team.
    Thereafter its keeping that level of squad with regeneration.

Tbc I like Thiago, but nowhere near as much as Steveo does, as he loves the technical players.

For me I'd rather see Thiago in the higher pressing role as 19 calls it in our midfield 3,

Or as I call it the license to play in a 10 role.
    He's got better feet, touch and dribling in tight spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Because the players who play when he’s not there. I have said he is the best option we have currently by some distance but that is because of Milner’s age and Jones’ youth and lack of ability.

I disagree with you, get over it. We can have different opinions mate as unpalatable as that might be for you.
    Quite Miller - Most of the dropped points were early season and almost entirely in the first half of the season, Not playing because you're not fit and available isn't a plus for me and there's been too much of that too.

In almost all those games the midfield's that played were limited to just one or two senior best 11 mids and the lines ups highlight your view as correct, that it was more to do with the quality of the options we had to come in rather than who wasn't there

In those games particularly early season there were errors that cost us points, that were from defenders, 1 or 2 from Virgil still working his way back to full fitness, 1 or 2 from Big Bear, even the world's best CB and keeper have the odd off day, most had nothing whatsoever to do with midfield selection, the stats on this topic are as meaningless as stats for clean sheets when Gomez partnered Virgil in 19-20 and so many teams didn't even get a look at our defence, they carry no weight
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

^^if so the premier league doesn't exist !!

So Miller, these are the midfields we had available and other relevant details of those games, also worth noting Fab at No6 in almost all of them, Henderson's record in the league starting at No6 this season is P8 W7 D1 I believe

Brentford away draw Henderson Fabinho Jones - Early season lots of joy for Brentford against both Virgil and Matip going long to Toney with 2 runners quickly joining

Man City Home draw Henderson Fabinho Jones - No trent for this game, Millie caught short at RB for one goal, Big Bear also at fault getting his angles wrong, Matip breaking our defending rules to deflect the other past Big Bear

Brighton home draw Henderson Kieta Jones - Keita off early injured, replaced by Oxlade, Ox and Jones a disaster in the press and counter press second half, even the Echoe doing a feature on how bad they were

West Ham away defeat Henderson Fabinho Ox - VAR stitch up on their first goal, it being given despite a clear foul on Alisson and Cresswell not seeing red for a studs up challenge of Hendo's knee, collective errors by Fab, Robbo and Big Bear for their winner

Spurs away draw Kieta Milner Morton - Further VAR stitch ups Kane not given a clear straight red and Jota denied a clear penalty

Leicester away defeat Henderson Fabinho Ox - The Jurgen told the lads to relax a little more and enjoy their time with their family a little more over Christmas as we had a game postponed, Mo missed a penalty first half and we missed several other chances

Chelsea away draw Henderson Fabinho Milner - We haven't beaten them in 90 minutes in any of our four games this season, Thiago having been involved in 2 of those - Worldlie from Kovacic to make it 2-1, error from Virgil and Robbo both going back and playing Pulisic on when everyone else was playing them off

3 of the opponents in these games were opponents we also dropped points too when Thiago featured
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Tbc I like Thiago, but nowhere near as much as Steveo does, as he loves the technical players.

For me I'd rather see Thiago in the higher pressing role as 19 calls it in our midfield 3,

Or as I call it the license to play in a 10 role.
    He's got better feet, touch and dribling in tight spaces.
    I don’t think he is quite a world beater btw, he is world class though and for me the best we have.

I tend to agree the he’d be best used more advanced but he has to cover for what we don’t have.

Also trust Klopp to use him as he sees fit.

I firmly believe we need more quality in that midfield though. No arguments on that .

If we could sign someone like camavinga with that burst of power and technical ability to match we’d be set. Ease him in as Henderson’s minutes get managed more. Henderson has been immense most of this season imo. Tbf so has Thiago. Big fan of both players.

Jurgen seems to like him .

I forgot City had played an extra game, so we are currently 4 points behind, but hopefully we make that just the 1 in the week.

My numbers were slightly off on points dropped. It’s even better with Thiago.We only dropped 9 points not 11 with Thiago in the 24 games he has featured.

There are always mitigating circumstances and we have fared poorly minus Hendo too and Also Fabinho.

This trio - clearly our strongest, so missing any of them takes a toll. However Thiago seems to be the biggest miss when not playing AND the biggest boon when he does.

This isn’t just this season elther, it includes his excellent form last season once we finally dropped the CM’s @ CB madness.

Thiago has been pretty spectacular for our form for well over a year.