Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Thiago thread

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Thiago and Coutinho arent comparable for the roles they play.
    Carvalho our most comparable player in terms of style really - to Coutinho I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Thiago and Coutinho arent comparable for the roles they play.
    Precisely, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would even try.

Couts was a direct source of goals - created and scored. These are the players that command the silly money. Barca ruined him.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Carvalho our most comparable player in terms of style really - to Coutinho I mean.
    If he is even half as good as Phil was for us - in a team as good as ours is now, we could be flying higher than ever.

I still believe Thiago needs a better technician alongside him than we have at the club. Really would help him and us were we to nab one before the window closes.

It's interesting that we targeted Tchouameni - whilst he isn't bad on the ball by any means his primary skills are being combative, making interceptions and being a Monster in the air.

These all point to us wanting to concede less goals (not that we are particularly leaky!) more than anything - and if you have a brilliant defensive screen ahead of Van Dijk+Matip (or Konate) ahead of Alisson, you should concede very few indeed - clean sheets are an excellent platform upon which to build a point-winning Machine as one goal wins a game - though we often get more than one, further increasing our odds.

Lijnders has apparently mentioned in an upcoming book that the main transfer strategy for us is to get lads who elevate the starting XI ("game changers" I think was the term used) or who are young with huge potential. With that in mind and with us being one of the best sides in World Football, getting game-changing targets isn't going to be terribly easy, as we are shopping for the very, very best. It looks like we are "all-in" on Bellingham for next Summer and if that pans out, even with Ox and (presumably) Milner leaving, we would have -

Henderson
    Thiago
    Fabinho
    Bellingham
    Keita
    Elliott
    Jones

- with eyes on developing Morton, Bacjetic and possibly Carvalho - who is said to be being moulded to be a midfielder long-term - presumably an attacking no. 8 - I'd be very surprised if another midfielder comes in truthfully, unless we decide to call it quits on Keita or decide Jones has reached his ceiling by the time 23/24 comes around.

You are probably correct.

Bellingham could easily turn out to be the latest over hyped Engerlander. Don’t get me wrong - Klopp seems happy with athletic, energetic but otherwise mediocre mids.

For me, Keita is only here because nobody else will pay his wages. Hardly surprising that nobody is too keen on a player who is perennially unavailable or out of sorts.

On Bellingham, with the injury to Ox, I wonder if we will be having further negotiations with Dortmund.

I think (from their perspective) they're right to commit to not selling this Summer having said they'd do so, as they'd look rather weak for future transfer negotiations - but a compromise of us getting him in January perhaps?

The market for English players was getting daft, but the Grealish fee (particularly considering he hasn't been "all that" for Man Yet, presumably hampered by the rigidity of Pep's tactics) has made it incredibly silly - we'll see a £200m transfer fee in the next 10 years or so which is just so damn stupid.

we all think Bellingham is nailed on but who says??

we could get outbid quite easily especially if he has a good season.....
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    we all think Bellingham is nailed on but who says??

we could get outbid quite easily especially if he has a good season.....
    We could be outbid of course - Man City would love him as he is the next hot English talent which would be great for their image.

The general impression though is that Bellingham has a good head on his shoulders, a Father who wants to nurture his career properly through slow, steady growth (rather than be razzle-dazzled like Odegaard was by Real Madrid) and he is constantly "liking" Liverpool-related stuff on social media and describes Gerrard as his idol.

So of course, whilst we can never be certain, the indications that he wants to come here certainly look encouraging.

Hopefully he saw the Community Shield. A glorified pre-season friendly and instead of letting Alvarez celebrate his first goal for his new club, Pep is all in his ear about tactical instructions. A far cry from a Klopp hug!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It's interesting that we targeted Tchouameni - whilst he isn't bad on the ball by any means his primary skills are being combative, making interceptions and being a Monster in the air.
    Perhaps the penny finally dropped that we need an actual midfielder at No6 who can do everything Hendo does and all the things Fab is supposed to be able to and who can play as one of our No8's in a controller role also

Fab had a good game v City, he's usually ok when we have less possession, his issues are all when we have most of it, which is most games
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Hopefully the great man is back for Saturday and the wierdos who don't rate him will she how did a difference he makes to our performances. 🤣🤣