Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Mane contract

Got more money for him than we signed him for.. Good business in that sense..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Growing up in Senegal, I'm sure he often thought about how awful it would be to get a 3 year contract at 30 years old worth about £20 million pounds from Liverpool.
    Cheers Sadio ,but it's all about the money !!
    Cheers Sadio, for all the goals and for helping Liverpool Football Club win every trophy possible. Sorry our tight owners wouldn't pay you what you're worth, go with our blessings to a club that will pay you what other players, not nearly as good as you get.

The more successful we become the more we will be crippled by our wage structure.
    How long till VVD starts getting offered the going rate for his services...

I understand the owners want value in the transfer market ...but that money should go into wages for our exceptional players.
    Last edited by shminkyred; 22nd June 2022 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Very sad, and he will be a big miss, even an off form Mane is still a huge threat to anyone.

Heart breaking message from him on the club website.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/sadio-manes-farewell-interview-i-am-now-liverpools-no1-fan

Gutted but we have to move on. Good luck to him except against us.
    32 million for Sadio isn't the best business by the club. Hazard in a similar contract position was sold for much more to Real by Chelsea.
    In terms of the wages it's a sound enough decision from the club to not match Bayerns offer.

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Cheers Sadio, for all the goals and for helping Liverpool Football Club win every trophy possible. Sorry our tight owners wouldn't pay you what you're worth, go with our blessings to a club that will pay you what other players, not nearly as good as you get.

The more successful we become the more we will be crippled by our wage structure.
    How long till VVD starts getting offered the going rate for his services...

I understand the owners want value in the transfer market ...but that money should go into wages for our exceptional players.
    We've got Diaz & Nunez in for Mane & Divock compared with last season.

Diaz has impressed since arriving, Nunez yet to kick a ball is a big transfer. Both expecting to play.

Origi a legend rarely featured, so on paper we should be better off with 2 regulars in for 1.

Can't keep all our senior legends. Have to let some go, it's part of the game.

This is an area where I think Football as an entity falls down a little.

Some will say Bayern Munich are paying £350k a week for a proven Footballer. That's a fair shout.

Another way to look at it is to say that Liverpool paid roughly half that (wages) for a younger version and potentially enjoyed the athletic pinnacle of his play.

I know I'd rather sign 24-year-old Mane and enjoy six years of him than purchase 30-year old Mane and pay almost double for someone who may have given the best version of themselves already.

He might go to Bayern and score 30-40 goals a season for 6 years and if he does I'll take my hat off to him. He's a fabulous player and I wish him the very best. But setting a precedent of paying big money regularly to too many of the 30+ has cautionary tales - Juventus, AC Milan, Barcelona, Man United at varying times - there's a lot to be said for our way.

Financial natter aside, sincerely, best of luck to him (except against us) - unreal contribution. Set the match to the fire of Klopp Era with that goal against Arsenal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    We've got Diaz & Nunez in for Mane & Divock compared with last season.

Diaz has impressed since arriving, Nunez yet to kick a ball is a big transfer. Both expecting to play.

Origi a legend rarely featured, so on paper we should be better off with 2 regulars in for 1.

Can't keep all our senior legends. Have to let some go, it's part of the game.
    Totally agree...but some players will move on....but my fear is we will keep losing our top players because wages aren't comparable.....
    How much would VVD get at PSG, City, madrid or even United? ..I don't know the numbers but at a guess I'd say Slabhead Maguire earns more than VVD.....
    I'm sure I will be quickly corrected if I'm wrong..but my point stands

Totally agree...but some players will move on....but my fear is we will keep losing our top players because wages aren't comparable.....
    How much would VVD get at PSG, City, madrid or even United? ..I don't know the numbers but at a guess I'd say Slabhead Maguire earns more than VVD.....
    I'm sure I will be quickly corrected if I'm wrong..but my point stands
    Not sure how much there was to it, but I think in 2017 Man City wanted Van Dijk and were willing to pay him plenty - but he is here and by all accounts seems to love it.

Besides, when you look at Oil Clubs or particularly PSG (who UEFA will allow to do anything they want) how far do we go?

Do we offer players £400k per week in a few years only to see Newcastle or whoever offer £600k? Not that we could - our wages as a percentage of turnover is 64% or so as it is.

Get them in young, hungry, willing to believe in Liverpool and/or the values of the current project. Be up front about how we operate before they join. The occasional lad will bounce after a certain number of years (Mane, Coutinho) and we'll reinvest/use the freed up wages wisely. Possibly make 6-year contracts a "new normal" to protect ourselves a bit. Meanwhile, always strive to be the best at Academy/Scouting/Recruitment/Analytics as best we can to supplement things.

I think Virgil came after being really impressed with meeting Klopp (wasn't it in Blackpool?). The force of Klopp's personality and the warmth of his character has been the deciding factor in getting a few of signings over the line, even in the face of competition from the state run clubs.

Liverpool are 4th in epl salaries.
    Man utd £214m pa
    Chelsea £173m
    Man City £149m (if believed)
    Lfc ......... £139m

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Liverpool are 4th in epl salaries.
    Man utd £214m pa
    Chelsea £173m
    Man City £149m (if believed)
    Lfc ......... £139m
    Yet they're the top earning club, City's numbers are fiddled and there was only 5m between LFC and the filthy when the figures were calculated last year, so almost certainly ahead of the filthy in earnings now

City pay a lot of their players part of their wages through their owners image rights company he set up, they've probably got all the paperwork and legalities set up right now to do it without getting FFP busted, UEFA need to look at every way CIty and other clubs are trying to circumvent FFP and tighten it up
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”