Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Perhaps we can reserve judgement until such a time as they -

1. Actually buy the club - only a link at present and...
    2. See the apparent consequences (good OR bad) of their purchasing the club - such as us getting access to Brazilian talent for below market rate (good) or seeing Mineiro receive heavy investment while we seemingly are forgotten about (bad) for example.
    Yeah for sure, totally that
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Money makes the World go round, the World go round, the World go round......
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Mutterings of a contract extension for Keita.

The extension might be on our terms. A reduction in wages, appearance-based structure or weighted towards that type of deal.

I think we should get rid but seeing as we are exposed in midfield we may as well try and get some games out of him and then hopefully sell for a decent fee.
    Last edited by vin; 25th September 2022 at 09:25 PM.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

I can only assume it is to retain some value in order to sell him or part ex him back to Germany.
    He has been a complete flop and has done absolutely nothing to warrant a longer stay at the club.

Good news.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I can only assume it is to retain some value in order to sell him or part ex him back to Germany.
    He has been a complete flop and has done absolutely nothing to warrant a longer stay at the club.
    Agree. The contract stand off seems to have been resolved. He might be fit again, and leaving in the near future.

Only rumours, but he was rumoured to have wanted a move in the summer, and was told he could leave if they could find a replacement midfielder.....

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    The extension might be on our terms. A reduction in wages, appearance-based structure or weighted towards that type of deal.

I think we should get rid but seeing as we are exposed in midfield we may as well try and get some games out of him and then hopefully sell for a decent fee.
    Despite having largely been a fan of Keita's when he plays, I too would be in the "get rid" camp in an ideal World.

With that said, there is a possibility of us entering next season with -

- Keita gone
    - Ox gone
    - Milner gone
    - Arthur gone
    - Thiago turning 32 during the season
    - Henderson turning 33 during the season

That would be up to SIX players that, sooner or later, we would be needing to find replacements for. There's absolutely no way we can do that all in one Summer in the current climate - and even doing it over two could be a stretch if we want to keep an eye on other positions.

I'm not sure we have the luxury of letting every lad in the £30m+ bracket go. Keita, unavailable as he often is, would at least be a 28-year old midfielder already at the club and not needing to be bought. If we have to bring in a big group of lads at £30m-£40m+ each in a short timeframe, it would cripple us. It may make (some) sense to extend his contract for 2-3 years just to be a body during a transitional spell, with the obvious caveat being that anyone coming in would need to have a much better fitness record, so we're less likely to find ourselves dependent on him being available - we could use him more sparingly and in rotation with someone. Also we could let him go at the end of his renewal so he doesn't end up here when he is 31-or-older....or indeed sell him to a willing buyer in Germany if he has a good season after his renewal - then reinvest that cash.

If we have lads in their 30s (Thiago, Henderson) then we will probably keep a couple of mid-to-late-20s lads (Keita? Fabinho?) to help with that
    transitional process as we bring through younger lads already at the club (Jones? Elliott? Carvalho? Bajcetic? Morton?) and those who may yet come in (Bellingham? Manu?) to help produce the "next" Klopp team.

A pity that Tchouameni couldn't have come in, or us agreeing a Bellingham deal before Man City agreed a Haaland deal, but here we are - little use crying about it now.

Hes been offered one but based in appearances and on reduced wages. That's why he's downed tools and kicked off.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Hes been offered one but based in appearances and on reduced wages. That's why he's downed tools and kicked off.
    We'll see I suppose.

In a World where Núñez is being judged after hardly having kicked a ball for us and Ibrahimovic is in a movie trailer for an Asterix and Obelix film, all bets are off.

Yep I think we would all be glad to see him move on- I would happily drive him to Istanbul if needed.. BUT Sid raises a good point. We could be heading for a huge deficit in an area already heavily questioned.

Not an easy one. I don't see how it's fixed without a very good scouting team and plenty of money changing hands in the next 2 windows for youngish - ready to play talent.