Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I agree that it wasn't just FSG who fucked up. Klopp equally takes the blame, that midfield has been the elephant in the room for too long and I think maybe he's thought he didn't need to add to ot after doing so well last season. Clearly wrong.
    I also don't think he had anything to do with signing Nunez. He's not his type of player.
    That midfield was integral to how we played Gini and Hendo especially, we just fucked up our evolution, Tchouameni would have been a huge step in the right direction, battering our own eye lids at MBappe instead of being sneaky bastards and nicking Tchouameni while Real were focusing solely on landing him was a major fuck up by Ward, as fucking IF we were ever going to sign MBappe

All we needed to do was sign a couple more midfielders in the supremely athletic, mobile, box to box expert in pressing and counter pressing Gini and Hendo mould with the right type of passing/marginally better passing and fuck Fabinho right off for a big fee, job done, it really wasn't a hard fucking job and we fucked it RIGHT up
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Indeed.

We have made some decisions that prove to be wise, on paper at least. Jota’s arrival gave us the chance to reduce Firmino's minutes and he'll take up his space in the squad when Bobby moves on - even if the roles are different. Konate's arrival allows us to rotate Matip and Ibou should eventually take Joel's spot. Tsimikas gives us the option of easing the burden on Robertson.

Where it has gone wrong is the succession planning in midfield - and those decisions have been ongoing. Oxlade-Chamberlain hasn't proved the best use of our money. Many of us championed his contract extension, seeing it as "doing right" by a player who suffered a terrible injury. Our loyalty in this regard is commendable, but I am sure there is some (private) regret in that regard. Keeping on that subject of loyalty to a fault, I think many will feel that with the gift of hindsight it would have been wiser to let Milner leave, with his head held high after we genuinely competed for an unprecedented Quad. Henderson received a generous contract extension - will the passage of time suggest it was too generous? We don't yet know.

We have older midfielders (inevitable deterioration comes over time) and younger mids who aren't yet ready to have the side built around them. Where we have come undone is that the lads who should have acted as the "bridge" (Ox and Keita) haven't worked out as we had hoped.

People can (and will) lay blame at FSG's door for certain things - and it is certainly clear that we need some investment in the coming windows, but there are definitely some issues I don't attribute (directly) to them. Some aspects of our recruitment and succession-planning haven't worked out and it's at its worst in the centre of the park.

Last season's Herculean effort has taken a toll. There is a lot of football in the legs of some of these players and the mental toll of having to be close-to-perfect to compete with Cheats must be overwhelming. Our lads outperformed themselves.

I do however still have some hope - not of a title challenge this season certainly, but I do think we can avoid the season capitulating utterly. If we believe that form is temporary and class is permanent, then it's likely fair to suggest that while the lads exceeded their level last season, they are below par this season. We should find our "level" sooner or later, which will be somewhere between last season's heroics and this season's seemingly extended hangover.

I also can't help but believe that a few lads (in key areas of the pitch might I add....) aren't performing to their absolute peak in terms of sprints/tackles etc ahead of this poorly-timed World Cup, for fear of injury and thus missing the Tournament. Nobody is going to have me believe that what we have seen of Van Dijk of late for example is a reflection of his true level. I do expect some lads to perform better for us in the January-May spell than what we have seen this far.

Anyway - the midfield needs sorting. If there is a positive to be found, then it should be noted that it cannot be THAT hard to find players that are better than a "Winter" Milner, an unavailable Ox or an in-and-out Keita. Pep Lijnders has spoken of only going for lads that genuinely improve the starting XI but I think that's a little inflexible. Even if we went for one "top talent" and supplemented that signing by getting a youngish lad on the cusp of good things (age 22 say) before his value explodes and a Bosmer, we would massively improve the situation in the centre of the pitch and should still (hopefully) have funds to pay for the Anfield Road End without having to take out any questionable loans.
    Agree on all of that.
    Your last point about Linders and midfielders improving the 11 is definitely worth thought. It's admirable to be that way but it's obviously been detrimental upto now this season.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-ceo-hints-fsg-plan-25184219.amp

below is a very relatable post to the above article.

RE
    RedForever1
    1 HR AGO
    It we fail to finish top 4 it will be wholly on FSG.

Mid table net spending under Klopp has yielded more in trophies than the spend warranted, due to Klopp, but we could have won much more with top four net spending.

We should have had another PL title and CL, but we're actually now further away from the next PL and CL titles than before we won them.

The lack of net spend has caught up and it's no longer about whether we should win more, it's whether we will actually even finish top 4.

£8m net this summer when there are glaring issues in our ageing and injury prone midfield is an absolute disgrace, especially after a season when nearly ever pound that could be obtained was.

What people forget, is that if others spend, and spend well, they go past you if you stand still.

It's one thing if you've a squad with mostly players mid 20s who are yet to peak, but when most of your better players are peak or post peak, if you don't invest you regress as they wane.

I had no issue with FSG's low net spend in the early years of Klopp, as we fought to get back into the top four and develop revenue.

But we continued to spend little in net terms even after getting back in, then when the squad peaked and needed investment to sustain its level, FSG refused to allow any meaningful net investment despite revenue then being £500m plus.

A club with £500m plus turnover that can't afford £50m net spend a season is a club whose revenues are being siphoned off to FSG's group, to support the acquisition of other assets.

We don't expect City or Newcastle spending, we know United will always spend as they have bigger revenues, whilst if Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea want to spend more than their means that's their call.

But we expect LFC to spend as a top 4 club, not a mid-table one.
    Last edited by Steveo; 5th October 2022 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    That midfield was integral to how we played Gini and Hendo especially, we just fucked up our evolution, Tchouameni would have been a huge step in the right direction, battering our own eye lids at MBappe instead of being sneaky bastards and nicking Tchouameni while Real were focusing solely on landing him was a major fuck up by Ward, as fucking IF we were ever going to sign MBappe

All we needed to do was sign a couple more midfielders in the supremely athletic, mobile, box to box expert in pressing and counter pressing Gini and Hendo mould with the right type of passing/marginally better passing and fuck Fabinho right off for a big fee, job done, it really wasn't a hard fucking job and we fucked it RIGHT up
    We could've got Gini on loan.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Agree on all of that.
    Your last point about Linders and midfielders improving the 11 is definitely worth thought. It's admirable to be that way but it's obviously been detrimental upto now this season.
    Yeah I understand the principle of upgrading the XI and letting your senior players become the squad players (Henderson will slowly take Milner's role as an example) but there are definitely players out there that can be improvements on what we had.

Even look at Napoli and Anguissa - £14.7m or something he cost. If we look at Milner/Keita/Ox as a collective - and in particular the limited availability of Ox and Keita, we could probably be (collectively) better off with something like Berge (younger than Milner) Anguissa (younger than Keita, better injury record) and Morton (young, lots to learn, but actually has legs) - we wouldn't have the scintillating midfield upgrades that we all crave, but we would certainly be collectively better.

Berge probably available for £30m, Anguissa was £15m-ish and Morton already here - less outlay than the £60m-ish we recouped from Minamino, Origi and Mane. *****This is not the trio I want, just an example of what can be done*****

Sincerely, I think they should have a rethink about their stance. Surely we could look to buy ONE midfield player that is an improvement on someone in the existing first-pick "three" (Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago) even with our more prudent style of transfer acquisition, pick up a Bosmer and promote Morton next season? It would be an immediate net improvement on Milner/Ox/Keita. By having healthier players we can manage Thiago+Henderson more carefully, which would already be an upgrade.

Naby Keita won’t talk with Liverpool about a potential new contract before January 2023. [@cfbayern]

Sounds like he wants to get a deal negotiated with a club before we have a chance to offer a new contract (not that we should!!!).

With a little luck one of the German sides gives us a little money in their desire to have him join promptly, rather than him simply walk on a free. Probably rather fanciful, but still.

He’s been an utter disgrace of a signing

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    He’s been an utter disgrace of a signing
    I thought you liked him.
    😆

I don't even think hes injured. hes not willing to play. weird how it all conspired this season.to many coincidences. Had a cold. wasn't picked then injured.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I don't even think hes injured. hes not willing to play. weird how it all conspired this season.to many coincidences. Had a cold. wasn't picked then injured.
    Think you could very well be right.

We don't know of course - but IF that's where he is at with us now, then good riddance.