Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    19 asked a very good question.. seems to have been lost in all the talk..

WTF is going on? Where is the money?
    Super easily missed due to how often there's a new page in this thread but I pointed to where some of it is yesterday -

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Some still tied up infrastructure you'd imagine, though I think most of the stadium redevelopment is covered.

Our wage bill is around the £360m mark, which is substantial. We have incentivised contracts, so whilst pay-outs go up when we reach Finals and win things, the wage bill might (and I am speculating here!) go down by a percentage if we miss out on Europe - the Mancs have something like this in place for the wages of their lads.

Think we still owe something like £114m in transfer fees as of the last set of accounts as well. Worth of course bearing in mind that the accounts are always out of date so I have no idea what that figure will stand at now and how little/much of deals for lads like Núñez and Gakpo have or haven't been paid off.

We also pay a lot on agent fees - not just for transfers but for contract renewals.

How are other clubs covering these costs and more while winning so much less - and then spending so much on players? This is the question Sid.

We are all aware that players wages cost a bucket load, but the revenues the club is generating are off the charts. They couldn't really be any higher than they are now. We have been in so many finals and 3 title races in 5 years. This is as good as it gets.

It is a question that deserves an answer from the owners. They have not been transparent at any stage and it's time to come clean.

Where is the money?

How are other clubs covering these costs and more while winning so much less - and then spending so much on players? This is the question Sid.

Where is the money?
    I can't speak for all clubs, but Arsenal are borrowing, Man United are borrowing, Tottenham are borrowing and we know that Newcastle and Man City are essentially cheating. Chelsea are front-loading in a speculative guesstimate against presumed future Champion's League qualification and capacity to sell their unwanted. Arsenal are also taking a calculated gamble against future (sustained) Champion's League qualification.

As to the "where is the money?" question, I'm not sure I can answer it much more than I already have without getting onto a PC (on a mobile phone on the rain here) and opening multiple tabs and doing a bunch of Googling to refresh my memory on figures I have laid out in past posts - it's a fair amount of effort for me to ultimately only sound like a broken record so I will likely pass on that until I am next extremely bored. Infrastructure, wages, debt management, owed transfer fees, agent fees.

A couple of details I'll add though is that the club had £50m of bank debt pre-pandemic and £37m cash in the bank. Bank debt now sat at £130m or so up until.....I think it was mid-2022 (?) and cash was down to £30m. That's a negative swing of near £90m.

We paid off £70m of that debt which would make a dent in "the money" and we spent around £38m in agent fees between March 2020 and March 2021. We also lost around £70m-£90m or so due to the Pandemic.

I don't expect you to be able to answer it mate..

As I see it..

The club lost a bit but the owner massively increased his wealth over the pandemic. Something stinks to high heaven. Henry alone - gained over £1.5 billion in net worth from March 2020 to Summer 2022. In less than one calendar year (August 2021-22) he increased at £990 million!!! How does that happen? How can that happen IF his sports franchises are losing profit?

Who and what else is he investing in or taking money from?

If we look at NESV/FSG's tenure then - "the wilderness years".. coming after being ranked the best team in Europe (destroying Real by 5 goals to nil over 2 legs) in 2009 and taking United's strongest side to the last 2 games of the season - including a 1:4 drubbing at Old Trafford! ... There is only Rodgers wonder year with Luis - that stands between total shyte and Jurgen Klopp's transformation - turning doubters into believers....

in short....7 years of Jurgen is all that separates us from what we achieved and where we are today!

I would put that to anyone questioning the manager.
    Totally agree. They've been damn lucky and they be milked every effing dimes worth.
    You're point and 19s about the money is a very good one. Every club has the same type of costs, we are not unique in any way except we're making a shit ton more than most clubs.

I know some on here don’t like to talk about net spend but what is ours for the 22/23 summer winter transfer windows?

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    I know some on here don’t like to talk about net spend but what is ours for the 22/23 summer winter transfer windows?
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-liverpool/transfers/verein/31

That's the best site I've found for tracking net spends, departures & arrivals, transfer fees and market values of players.
    According to them €56.6 Mill net spent for the season.
    Around 180 Mill for the last 3 seasons including this season.
    A Klopp high at LFC !!

Arrivals
    • Darwin Núñez Centre-Forward 23 SL Benfica €80.00m
    • Cody Gakpo Left Winger 23 PSV Eindhoven €42.00m
    • Fábio Carvalho Attacking Midfield 19 Fulham FC €5.90m
    • Calvin Ramsay Right-Back18 Aberdeen FC €4.90m
    • Arthur Melo Central Midfield 26 Juventus FC Loan fee: €4.50m
    • Stefan Bajcetic Defensive Midfield 17 Liverpool FC U18 ----
    • Marko Grujić Defensive Midfield 26 FC Porto End of loan
    • Rhys Williams Centre-Back 21 Blackpool FC End of loan

Sum: €137.30m
    Average age: 21.6
    Total market value of arrivals: €165.00m

Departures
    • Sadio Mané Left Winger 30 Bayern Munich €32.00m
    • Neco Williams Right-Back 21 Nottingham Forest €20.00m
    • Takumi Minamino Left Winger 27 AS Monaco €15.00m
    • Marko Grujić Defensive Midfield 26 FC Porto €9.00m
    • Ben Davies Centre-Back 26 Rangers FC €4.70m
    • Divock Origi Centre-Forward 27 AC Milan free transfer
    • Sheyi Ojo Right Winger 25 Cardiff City free transfer
    • Ben Woodburn Attacking Midfield 22 Preston North End free transfer
    • Sepp van den Berg Centre-Back 20 Schalke 04 loan transfer
    • Rhys Williams Centre-Back 21 Blackpool FC loan transfer
    • Loris Karius Goalkeeper 29 Without Club

Sum: €80.70m
    Average age: 24.9
    Total market value of departures: €130.20m

Net spend -£50m roughly

But for the accounting / ffp
    Isn't it about the losses over the last 3 years.

No more than £105m over a 3 year period.

Everton’s losses over the last three years amount to £371.8m, with Premier League rules stating a club is in breach of financial regulations if they make an adjusted loss of more than £105m over a three-year period
    The Premier League has had access to Everton’s latest accounts since November and with the Goodison Park club continuing to be fully transparent and cooperative, club officials remain confident that Everton are in a good place.

That is based on record turnover of £193m and the continued support from billionaire Farhad Moshiri, who committed £100m through a new share issue during 2020-21 and provided a further injection of £97m after the end of the financial year. But otherwise the figures make for gloomy reading, coming on the back of losses of £111m in 2018-19 and £139.9m in 2019-20

https://twitter.com/plettigoal/status/1620884997065572352?s=61&t=LTl3lmydD8XlNhL_4LKWZw

Firmino linked with a contract extension.

I adore Bobby, but I think signing up any of the over-30s to contract extensions given what is going on in the squad at the moment is somewhat unwise.

The lad is on £180,000 per-week and increasingly injury-prone. I think we can better utilise our resources. That may lack sentiment and I'd miss him, but we have to start being much more ruthless with refreshing of the squad for me.