Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    When some say that they would rather get a couple of mids for the price of JB, I get that but isn't that almost like the "make do and mend" philosophy that's got us to this point now?
    There's a player who genuinely looks like he could be the best in the world son, there's a chance we can get him, he "allegedly" wants the move, FSG supposedly going to back Klopp big time.
    We should be all in for it.
    Think there's a balance. We have to bear in mind what big fees and wages do to the future market as well.

Making up numbers £100m fee and £180kpw wages I think most in here would be fine with.

But if it was a £150m fee and £250kpw wages I think many would be concerned.

We have to address multiple areas and I wouldn't want Jude to be our only transfer or one of only two.

I also have some concerns about the number of top level minutes he has already played in his career and our tendency to aim to play key figures in 34+ League games per season. We could be upping the risk factor if almost all the funding goes into one player that we have the capacity to turn into an injury-prone wreck.

Think pretty much everyone would love him here, but want to see him arrive and be utilised in a way that sits with our own ideas.

Let's be really generous here and say that FSG provide us with £200m for the Summer - would we want to see 75% of that dropped on one player?

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Think there's a balance. We have to bear in mind what big fees and wages do to the future market as well.

Making up numbers £100m fee and £180kpw wages I think most in here would be fine with.

But if it was a £150m fee and £250kpw wages I think many would be concerned.

We have to address multiple areas and I wouldn't want Jude to be our only transfer or one of only two.

I also have some concerns about the number of top level minutes he has already played in his career and our tendency to aim to play key figures in 34+ League games per season. We could be upping the risk factor if almost all the funding goes into one player that we have the capacity to turn into an injury-prone wreck.

Think pretty much everyone would love him here, but want to see him arrive and be utilised in a way that sits with our own ideas.

Let's be really generous here and say that FSG provide us with £200m for the Summer - would we want to see 75% of that dropped on one player?
    All good points.
    I'd personally hope that there's a ring fenced amount that is considerable to spend without the money that's being saved and recouped on sales and outgoings.
    Might be fantasy in my head like admittedly.
    If for instance there is 200m Id be happy to use that on JB,Ndicka and another good midfielder.
    Using up money from potential sales of Kelleher,Matip,Gomez towards another one or two good mids.
    Probably fantasy football but that's my big hope.
    Last edited by teesred; 5th April 2023 at 11:17 AM.

The other plus of signing Bellingham would be the signal it sends out to other potential signings, despite no Champions League football next season

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    The other plus of signing Bellingham would be the signal it sends out to other potential signings, despite no Champions League football next season
    A very good point.

Absolutely. It would be a real statement.

One other consideration, which has probably been addressed already, is the total amount of wages we are likely to "save" as a result of players leaving. This in itself should allow us to spend "big".
    Keita £100,000 pw +
    Ox £100,000 pw +
    Who else?
    We could be looking at £500,000 pw minimum if stories are to be believed.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    One other consideration, which has probably been addressed already, is the total amount of wages we are likely to "save" as a result of players leaving. This in itself should allow us to spend "big".
    Keita £100,000 pw +
    Ox £100,000 pw +
    Who else?
    Keita ox matip Philips and firmino would equal 600k pw they are the 5 being mentioned to leave feel one of trent or salah goes too to raise funds. No source but just feel there will be a few surprise departures as well

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Keita £100,000 pw +
    Ox £100,000 pw +
    Who else?
    It's a point I raise from time to time and couple with amortisation it should give us a little wiggle-room.

Keita and Ox are both on £120kpw and Firmino on £180kpw (if figures are reliable) which is already £420kpw that would be freed up.

One unseen cost that will eat into it a bit (and is very often overlooked in these discussions) is agent fees when we sign people and when we renew contracts. But even bearing that in mind, wages coming off the bill is often a good thing.

In terms of general principles, two of the best things that we can do is to -

- Get what we can from players and know when not to renew
    - Know when the right time to sell is so that a player "loses their legs on someone else's pitch" as Bob Paisley put it.

As much as we didn't fare at all well in "replacing" Wijnaldum after his departure, getting a player who gave us an excellent contribution after a relatively cheap acquisition, relatively low wages and our not caving to demands to double his income as he approached/hit the 30-year-old mark was largely the right approach - the failure was in the succession planning. Just an example of the first point.

With the second point, our best utilisation of that method has probably been Torres - £20m purchase, three and a half seasons that represented the peak of his career, moved on for £50m at just the right time before he declined quite a bit, much as he still had plenty of important "moments" in his career.

Salah will be an interesting one in future. A time will come when he does not merit a £350kpw wage and we will have to call the right time to accept a fee. Would I sell him now? No. Should he still be here on his current wage at the age off 33 or 34? Probably not - though it's always difficult to read the future footballing landscape.

So ...by all accounts this is supposed to be a massive summer transfer window for the football club.....BUT isnt Ward leaving at the end of the season .....so who's in charge of transfers?

Doesn't seem very well planned out IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by darrenpotter View Post
    Keita ox matip Philips and firmino would equal 600k pw they are the 5 being mentioned to leave feel one of trent or salah goes too to raise funds. No source but just feel there will be a few surprise departures as well
    Salah is gone....it's the only way they..FSG will have money to fund anything!