Page 31 of 681 FirstFirst ... 212425262728293031323334353637384181131531 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Why does nunes have to be a replacement for Mane? Why can't he be an upgrade on say Firminio...with Manes replacement still to come in.....We have depth in the squad but we need strength in depth...
    Diaz and Nunez. I don't think we'll buy another attacker
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Why does nunes have to be a replacement for Mane? Why can't he be an upgrade on say Firminio...with Manes replacement still to come in.....We have depth in the squad but we need strength in depth...
    People were saying Diaz was definitely a replacement for Mané’s summer departure. That seems to be wrong now due to the arrival of Nuñez

Not really. Diaz will play where Mane made his Liverpool career.

Nunez is different, imo he will play in front of a different setup - if he is a replacement of any sort - and I am not saying he is - he is far more likely to be so in preparation for a Salah departure.

Also remember Bobby contract up end of season too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Not really. Diaz will play where Mane made his Liverpool career.

Nunez is different, imo he will play in front of a different setup - if he is a replacement of any sort - and I am not saying he is - he is far more likely to be so in preparation for a Salah departure.

Also remember Bobby contract up end of season too.
    The same argument!

Anything but squad building.

I thought Nunez was to replace Origi?

Apologies if I double-post, as I feel I typed out a response today but don't see it - perhaps someone was chatting to me while I was working and I didn't send it.

Anyway - I see Diaz as the Mane replacement, brought in ahead of his departure. In the same way Jota was brought in for short-term depth but also knowing that one of our forwards would eventually leave - I see him as the (eventual) Firmino replacement. Núñez plays in a different position to Salah, but in terms of a "role" (being the main goalscorer) I see him as the Salah replacement.

Thiago came in before Wijnaldum left. Konate has come in well before Matip or Van Dijk leaves.

We "replace" ahead of time as I see it, rather than selling and reacting. Carvalho probably takes Minamino's minutes in the hope that he can eventually grow into someone who becomes what Jota and Firmino were for much of last season - depth/cover for the front three.

Others may see a different picture. Strength in depth will come - some of it will be via the development of youth/academy players and young player acquisitions. Other times we will fork out for someone who will be an important player in the first 11-16 or so lads.

This makes a huge amount of sense Sid. I still think we need and needed that extra quality midfield signing - but if what you say is indeed our modus operandi, then it is pretty sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    This makes a huge amount of sense Sid. I still think we need and needed that extra quality midfield signing - but if what you say is indeed our modus operandi, then it is pretty sound.
    I do agree on wanting an extra midfielder if it were up to me.

We certainly wanted Tchouameni but wages were going to be an issue by the look of what he'll be on at Real Madrid. Familiar story of not wanting to be mucked about - Fekir was practically done until (allegedly) his brother wanted a bigger agent slice in the 11th hour and an article I read recently (comparing Man City and Liverpool's strategies using Haaland and Núñez as examples) said we were happy to give Dortmund £73m for Sancho, but we were immediately turned off by the wage demands.

Hopefully Bellingham is the type of player who values the football more than the money - Alisson and Van Dijk could make way more money at other clubs yet seemingly are happy to stay. If not, there will be someone else.

Yep and we don’t want or need any mercenaries here.

Sounds like Minamino is on his way to Monaco for about £15m
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"