Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quotes being attributed to klopp pretty much confirming without coutinho move we don't win anything of note:

Klopp: "We have our situation. There was one year when money was less of an issue because Phil (Coutinho) went to Barcelona and we could do two sensational transfers. But we always spend over the years when we have to improve. From the team when I arrived here eight years ago, there's only Joe Gomez left. There has been a lot of business and we've had to do it our way. Since I've been here, we have had to (live within our means). The club has had to, and of course that doesn't make it easier. The problem is not our situation, it's just in comparison to the other main teams. We have to be on point. That's pretty much the thing. There is not a lot of space for failure."

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Understand your pain and am in agreement - better planning would have helped.

Also I know it's been an Autocorrect issue but I am now picturing Konate having an office at the training ground curing people of their ills via giving them "mlems" and I am way more amused by it than I should probably admit.
    If Konate could do that, all would be forgiven for his own injuries. We need some voodoo doctor to help us with our inmuries in recent years.

I'm generally on my phone so the typos are more frequent 😔

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Quotes being attributed to klopp pretty much confirming without coutinho move we don't win anything of note:

Klopp: "We have our situation. There was one year when money was less of an issue because Phil (Coutinho) went to Barcelona and we could do two sensational transfers. But we always spend over the years when we have to improve. From the team when I arrived here eight years ago, there's only Joe Gomez left. There has been a lot of business and we've had to do it our way. Since I've been here, we have had to (live within our means). The club has had to, and of course that doesn't make it easier. The problem is not our situation, it's just in comparison to the other main teams. We have to be on point. That's pretty much the thing. There is not a lot of space for failure."
    That's a grim prospect for when Klopp leaves. You'll get a manager who'll obviously want money for transfers. You won't get a top level coach/manager who's happy to work with peanuts.
    For arguments sake say De Zerbi, he's not going to leave BHA to go to a club who operate in a similar manner. He'll want to move up in terms of how he operates himself.
    I'll be amazed if FSG still own Liverpool when Klopp steps down. I think they'll sell up before or very soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    You really think that was being spent on one player?
    It was a ruse all along, 60m bid for Lavia is almost half of that amount. They had zero intentions of buying Caicedo, they knew Chelsea would come back with offers we couldn't go near.
    We need a defender, we need another midfielder who's touted at around 25m if it Gravenberch, even if they paid the 40m for Andre it's still well short.
    The case of the £111m doesn't add up at all because it was never there.
    I was responding to the initial point you made - "as if anyone believes that Caicedo bid was for real" (which infers a lack of bid) by saying that Klopp himself confirmed it.

If you want to change that stance to "it was a ruse all along" - which infers that we made a bid but had no intention of following it up, then in the same post say - "it was never there" (regarding the £111m) it's going to be tricky for me to know what your stance is, as two are inferred within the one post.

Now, if you feel that we don't have the £111m and that we attempted to "play" Chelsea into over-paying, feel free to say so. But I sincerely doubt that we found out (ahead of time) that Caicedo only wanted Chelsea and THEN stuck a bid down (Klopp confirmed that we did) as it would only cause ire in the fanbase to do so and then not spend, given how frustrated some of our fans are.

I'd say if you wait there will be an article or book excerpt sooner or later whereby we find out Klopp spent a day or two texting Caicedo trying to persuade him, if there isn't such journalism doing the rounds already behind a pay-wall.

If Konate could do that, all would be forgiven for his own injuries. We need some voodoo doctor to help us with our inmuries in recent years.

I'm generally on my phone so the typos are more frequent 😔
    I'm the same now mate (the phone) and it's infuriating - not just on here - Autocorrect causes more mistakes than it solves.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I was responding to the initial point you made - "as if anyone believes that Caicedo bid was for real" (which infers a lack of bid) by saying that Klopp himself confirmed it.

If you want to change that stance to "it was a ruse all along" - which infers that we made a bid but had no intention of following it up, then in the same post say - "it was never there" (regarding the £111m) it's going to be tricky for me to know what your stance is, as two are inferred within the one post.

Now, if you feel that we don't have the £111m and that we attempted to "play" Chelsea into over-paying, feel free to say so. But I sincerely doubt that we found out (ahead of time) that Caicedo only wanted Chelsea and THEN stuck a bid down (Klopp confirmed that we did) as it would only cause ire in the fanbase to do so and then not spend, given how frustrated some of our fans are.

I'd say if you wait there will be an article or book excerpt sooner or later whereby we find out Klopp spent a day or two texting Caicedo trying to persuade him, if there isn't such journalism doing the rounds already behind a pay-wall.
    My stance is I think they knew there was no chance. It doesn't matter whether Klopp was texting him or whoever was trying to win him over. It was ultimately going to come down to a money battle with a club who are ridiculously irresponsible. We couldn't win and I think they knew that.
    We were in for Lavia at 50m then suddenly changed tactic to bid over twice that amount for a player we'd barely shown interest in. It was absolutely batshit and didn't make sense at all.
    And even after that we go out and spend 19m on a guy who's thirty who Klopp allegedly had to twist arms to get sanctioned.
    So there's almost "90m" surplus for squad improvement. Doesn't look like much of it is being spent though.
    Even the most reasoned and balanced guys like you must surely see there's something off in all of this?

The whole transfer window for us has been a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    That's a grim prospect for when Klopp leaves. You'll get a manager who'll obviously want money for transfers. You won't get a top level coach/manager who's happy to work with peanuts.
    For arguments sake say De Zerbi, he's not going to leave BHA to go to a club who operate in a similar manner. He'll want to move up in terms of how he operates himself.
    I'll be amazed if FSG still own Liverpool when Klopp steps down. I think they'll sell up before or very soon after.
    Klopp on budgets:

“I have all the information around and I know what is possible and not possible, and it's not always exactly what I want.”

But it is not my job to complain, it is my job to take the team we have at the end of the transfer window and make the best of it and not sitting here thinking (grumbles) 'oh they have this and they have that'. That's how I understand it.”

Klopp is content with our spending. Makes the caiecedo bid really suspicious going by these comments. I see some are questioning the motives behind it. And by the looks of it there could something in it, we bid 115mil and 60mil for 2 separate players. End up with a player for 18mil. Fans think FSG will invest, they don't need to. Win win for them

Klopp on budgets:

“I have all the information around and I know what is possible and not possible, and it's not always exactly what I want.”

But it is not my job to complain, it is my job to take the team we have at the end of the transfer window and make the best of it and not sitting here thinking (grumbles) 'oh they have this and they have that'. That's how I understand it.”

Klopp is content with our spending. Makes the caiecedo bid really suspicious going by these comments. I see some are questioning the motives behind it. And by the looks of it there could something in it, we bid 115mil and 60mil for 2 separate players. End up with a player for 18mil. Fans think FSG will invest, they don't need to. Win win for them
    Possibly. I just doubt very much that there wouldn't have been a high profile departure to offset that.
    Maybe it's just suspicious theory from me, I'm just dubious about that Caicedo bid. Not only you as it completely out of character from them but it was also incredibly far out in terms of what and who we were bidding on..
    Last edited by teesred; 26th August 2023 at 12:38 PM.

Klopp on budgets:

Klopp is spot on. The budget is what it is, Sobozla looks tidy but he's a 70 million upgrade on Elliott/Carvalho/Jones/Hendo. Endo a cheaper option 6.

Adapting with what he had was sorely lacking last year. Ended the season copying pep/arteta to some degree and results improved. Little variety prior to that change. The innovation last year, imitation.

Tomorrow v the toon, hope we see

Alisson
    Trent Matip VVD Robbo
    Sobozla Endo MacA Diaz
    Salah Nunez

It's not really win win. Its must make CL football minimum. It's a 70 mill ram say & an 18 mill 6. At the end of the window, we have what we have and crack on. Hope we add more, wouldn't bet on it.

Klopp on budgets:

I read this as the owners don’t support me as much as I’d like but I’m not going to complain and I’ll work with what I’ve got.

Only Brighton (top 8 from last season) have a lower net spend than Liverpool this transfer window which is to be expected for FSG.

Dread to think where we’ll be once Klopp goes.