Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Arthur Theate for Joel Matip sensational swap deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Arthur Theate for Joel Matip sensational swap deal?
    Hope there's no drama involved. Lolz etc........

Are we gonna sign a centre back and midfielder or not? times running out
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Are we gonna sign a centre back and midfielder or not? times running out
    Realistically with 16 of the 17 non-Homegrown slots taken up, one of them would have to be Home-grown - and the chances of clubs letting go of very valuable (not just financially) Home-grown players at this stage of the window is practically zero.

We might make one signing before the window is out - a last-gasp deal for Gravenberch or something - but I would be absolutely gobsmacked if we brought two in.

I could probably foresee us making use of the January window to bring Andre to the club ahead of the departure of Thiago next Summer.

Ok,theres rumours Philips may go. Im guessing his place will be taken by Quansah ie 5th choice.. since Philips never starts anyway so no real loss.
    Hopefully we get in what is required and the numbers fit the requirement. I really don't know why we have Adrian in the squad at all.

Can’t seen another CB coming in even if Nat goes.

Quansah will come in and Endo (even though he’s 4 foot 6) has played that position before.

Plenty of numbers even though 2 of them are constantly PUP.

Big risk though?? Konate and Matip are never guaranteed to be fit..leaves you with Virgil and Gomez. and the young lad.. Even Jurgen himself said we need a defender.

Massive risk but that’s how we’ve always functioned under FSG.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    I don't understand your objection. If the first line is accurate then why does the rest matter? You've been ok with an environment that has robbed other leagues for decades for the benefit of your own club. I'm sure you'd be perfectly happy if we paid 100m for a new number 6, from a club who needs the money. What's changing about the ecosystem, other than Saudi's doing the same thing to the PL?

The war anology doesn't help.
    Missed this first time around.

I think the fairest answer I can give is that a lot of the problems in football seem to continue to become worse, year-on-year. It isn't about us not being able to buy the very top players or other clubs being able to buy from us - both have been the experience of most of my time as a Red (Real Madrid and Barcelona were usually more attractive destinations, Man United could spend more etc) so that wouldn't bother me. I'm also not someone who generally clamours for the biggest signings anyway - I prefer the (perhaps naive and idealistic) idea of buying youth and "rough Diamonds" and becoming greater than the sum of our parts.

Certain things in football are just less palatable for me these days. I certainly haven't given up on it yet, but the seeming non-existence of financial regulation (under the guise of things like FFP) along with the ever-increasing wage disparities, the despotic regimes owning clubs, how blood-stained a lot of the game's money is, some of the lack of care from footballing authorities about fans and infrastructure the distortion of competition, the difficulty that fans have in getting tickets, the cost of tickets relative to a working class man's wage, the distance between the millionaire players and the fans, the fact that cheating (particularly feigning of injury) is more rife in football than any other sport, the Twitterati, the "bantz" culture now being an actively marketed part of punditry, the inability to fully celebrate while a goal gets a VAR check, the players that are willing to jump to Saudi Arabia at the first flash of a wallet as the money matters more than the memories they can create, the abuse players get on forums and direct to their Instagram accounts, the parents whose children have agents and Instagram accounts at an early age as they try to get them on the money train - and on and on it goes.

I still love Liverpool, I still love the game, I'd still support Liverpool if we were mid-table or lower. It's the overall Circus (or the "Greatest Show on Earth" as Sky are currently marketing....) and the sheer over-saturation of so many components of the game that are hard to stomach a lot of the time and I find the weight of the tent bears heavier with each passing year.

Then of course Núñez goes and wins us a game against a club that represent much of what I dislike about the game and my Heart beats for it again - I am in a toxic relationship with football!

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    Can’t seen another CB coming in even if Nat goes.

Quansah will come in and Endo (even though he’s 4 foot 6) has played that position before.

Plenty of numbers even though 2 of them are constantly PUP.
    True there's numbers but in terms of quality and a squad that's equipped to challenge we are short I'd say and in the same kind of trouble as last season if we pick up a couple of injuries to key players.