Page 58 of 681 FirstFirst ... 84851525354555657585960616263646568108158558 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Keita set for a new contract? Seriously, we'll end up going backwards, Gomez is a good utility defender but you really wouldn't want him at CB against top class opposition or even any Premier League or Championship opposition, as he demonstrated with considerable aplomb today, but his new contract gave him a wage well in excess of his level of ability, Keita will no doubt get the same, I'm only surprised we're not offering Ox a new improved deal too
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Keita set for a new contract? Seriously, we'll end up going backwards, Gomez is a good utility defender but you really wouldn't want him at CB against top class opposition or even any Premier League or Championship opposition, as he demonstrated with considerable aplomb today, but his new contract gave him a wage well in excess of his level of ability, Keita will no doubt get the same, I'm only surprised we're not offering Ox a new improved deal too
    Keita showed glimpses of his undoubted ability last season - hope he blossoms this coming season. Gomez is better than you think and continues to improve.

Gomez looks nowhere near as good at CB as RB.

Rhys Williams is the luckiest lad alive to have ever pulled on a Liverpool shirt.

We still need a million chances to score one goal, whereas the opposition tend to score the majority of their chances.

Slightly worrying balloon over the bar, from the Mo Salah rebound by our shiny new striker.

Not much else to report.

Oh and Utd are obviously now nailed on for the quadruple

[QUOTE=Insidious;2762221]

But -

Henderson
    Thiago
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Milner
    Elliott
    Jones
    Ox

- are all still here - plus Carvalho could be employed as a no. 10 if we have the occasional formation tweak, so could Firmino.

Same old thing really - numerically we absolutely have enough, just whether or not we can trust them on the injury front.
    [/UnQUOTE]

There's many ways of looking at this, but let's analyse our midfield options.
    1 Defensive midfield options (players capable):

Jordan Henderson
    Fabinho
    James Milner

2 "Central" midfielders (not DM, not AM):

Jordan Henderson
    James Milner
    Naby Keita
    Fabinho?
    Thiago?

3 Attacking midfielders:

Elliott
    Thiago
    Keita
    Jones
    Oxlade-Chamberlain

Most games we play, we need one each of DM, CM and AM. We're well stocked with AMs and have a choice of at most five DMs and/or CMs. Of those, four are over 30.
    Still believe we need another quality midfielder (whatever Jürgen thinks).
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

The "less sexy but still important" stuff -

We've added Frigyes Vanden Auweele to the backroom staff as the club’s new head of osteopathy.

Has worked with a range of professional sports, including football, volleyball and cycling.

Contributing to the prevention of injuries and the optimisation of performance will be what they're here for.

Andreas Schlumberger is also being given enhanced responsibilities. He joined us as head of recovery and performance in December 2020, came from Schalke. He had previously spent four years as Klopp’s rehabilitation coach at Borussia Dortmund prior to spells at Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach.

Schlumberger has worked over the past 18 months with Lee Nobes (head of physio) and Andreas Kornmayer (head of fitness and conditioning) to help players bridge the gap between recovering from injury and being fit enough to be considered for selection again - that reintegration process hopefully meaning less lads break down.

Schlumberger was brought in midway through 2020-21 during the major injury crisis we had.

Hopefully it's another one of those "one percent" things as we know how fine the margins are these days and it's important to improve anything with the backroom staff just as it is with transfers.

Lot's of 1% increases the day we signed Jurgen.. And coincidentally the year we released the Coutinho dosh on Virgil - Alisson - Fabinho - and Shaq too.

Henderson doesn't lift a major trophy without that despite all the little 1%'s. Most of us know what and where the power comes from. Where that real tangible difference is made.

I get what you are saying Sid but honestly mate it isn't the physio's or the data teams any more than it is the weather on training camp pre season ...and certainly it isn't the owners - who would sell every last vestige of the club were the fans not ready and willing to boycott. It's mostly that geezer called Jurgen. It's good that we get in an osteopath, but the physio Schlumberger could easily preside over the next major injury crisis. So much of that is down to luck.

FYI I could use Frigyes Vanden Auweele right now...gotta very stiff neck.
    Last edited by Steveo; 14th July 2022 at 09:23 AM.

Steveo refuses to see the marginal gains that are accumulated everywhere in the club, which all the top institutions and athletes are obsessed with. Klopp himself is very open to this modern attitude, which is why he constantly stresses teamwork and does things like employ a throw-in coach. To imagine it is all down to one man and his mystical powers is a view that comes from the seventies - the Harry Redknapp formulation. Go out there and enjoy yourselves, lads..

We all know Klopp welcomes experts in their field and it is that very lack of ego that makes him so special. That is part of what promotes the players to take responsibility. Ultimately he makes the decisions BUT he allows the experts to do their job. He isn’t so proud to want to do it all, BUT that is part of why HE is largely responsible. So few managers, if any…of his quality and standing would defer so much. Any club with such a manager would try to bring in the best they could to facilitate - but the man at the helm can make or break that…and Jurgen most certainly does.

Further reading

Rodgers’ use of Firmino, often on the left or on the bench, bewilders to this day but the summer of 2015 encapsulates perfectly the top-level dysfunction that held back Liverpool for so long. “Players the club brought in” was Rodgers’ way of stressing he was not entirely responsible for signings. Nor is Klopp, although he dismissed the notion he could not work within Fenway Sports Group’s preferred structure on day one. “For me it is enough to have the first and the last word, the middle we can discuss,” he said. “I am not a genius. I don’t know more than the rest of the world. I need other people to get perfect information.”

In Edwards, Klopp realised quickly he had that source. The Liverpool manager’s tactical vision was clear but he needed others with inside knowledge of the transfer market to find the suitable parts. Sadio Mané, acquired during Klopp’s first summer, started a pattern of supreme talent identification that has underpinned Liverpool’s rise to champions; the key change overall. Klopp ranks the decision to not sign Mané from Red Bull Salzburg among his biggest mistakes at Borussia Dortmund, yet righting that wrong with Liverpool was not the obvious move it now looks. Mané was inconsistent at Southampton and unproven at the highest level. Liverpool, sensitive to accusations of paying inflated prices, insisted the fee was £30m. Southampton maintained it was £34m, correctly.

also this is good info.

Liverpool's Premier League title triumph is the culmination of five years of outstanding work from Jurgen Klopp, the worthy 2019/20 Barclays Manager of the Season winner.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1697253
    Last edited by Steveo; 14th July 2022 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Steveo refuses to see the marginal gains that are accumulated everywhere in the club, which all the top institutions and athletes are obsessed with. Klopp himself is very open to this modern attitude, which is why he constantly stresses teamwork and does things like employ a throw-in coach. To imagine it is all down to one man and his mystical powers is a view that comes from the seventies - the Harry Redknapp formulation. Go out there and enjoy yourselves, lads..
    Yes, but he still, imo, has blind spots - Fabinho and Thiago in midfield for one, continuing to play Robbo when he's so obviously out of form being another.
    All things considered, I suppose, he's not doing too badly.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief