Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Come back next June and we'll talk.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Doesn't even mention us losing Ox and Keita!

Quote Originally Posted by darrenpotter View Post
    Think aldo was a more than adequate rush replacement. Always think he got pushed out the door unfairly
    Agreed. Though, I was more thinking Rush in the mid 90s...

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Doesn't even mention us losing Ox and Keita!
    They weren't contributing a massive amount by the time last season came to be brutally honest.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    This is theproblem for me. I don't mind selling him. The problem is the money will mean nothing to the future of the squad, owners will just have a big pay day. So even if Salah leaves for free or 500m it is almost the same thing with FSG in terms of reinvestment.
    Ah,..yes; this myth that's constantly being perpetuated and has been doing the rounds a lot on the forum recently.

That if we do sell Salah, FSG are simply going to pocket the money and reinvest none of it into the team.

Which is simply fiction when you consider their history especially when it comes to selling (and even buying) big price players.

And for the second time in as many days I have to remind yet another person that the last time we were in this exact position - with the best player in the squad (at the time) and also the best player in the league (at the time) wanting a move away from the club to Barcelona - by which, I obviously mean Coutinho - we sold him and got a record transfer fee from him from Barca. Certainly a club record fee at the time and I believe it was also a league record back then.

Did they simply pocket all that money and we never saw a cent of it again?

Of course not.
    They used it to go out an get Allison and Fabinho and address two glaring problem areas in the squad that had been lacking up to that point. And even though Van Dijk came in the same window that Coutinho left (And actually arrived before him) it's reasonable to assume that the transfer fee we got from Coutinho's sale was retroactively factored into the payment made to bring Virgil in.
    Which means from Coutinho's sale (145 Million) we got back Allison (65 Million), Fabby (40 Million), and (retroactively) Virgil (75 Million)

Do the maths on that one and tell me they pocketed that Coutinho money.
    Or did they not in fact end up spending some of their own money (i.e. taking money out of their pockets instead of pocketing it) - ABOVE the Coutinho money - to make all three deals happen? (about £40 million in case, you're wondering)

But they don't re-invest in the squad right?
    And should I remind you that we don't win any of the titles or get to any of the (at least two of three) Champion's League finals and win one without those three players.

Even last year, despite the old saying that we don't bring players in unless they're able to sell players first, we bought Darwin despite having sold no one.
    Sure, it helped that we got Mane off our books in terms of his wages, from his move to Bayern, but his transfer fee more likely factored into the money we used to bring in Diaz, who, after all, is the more direct Mane replacement.
    Darwin's transfer fee in all likelihood all came from FSG's pockets.

So again, this idea that if we sell Salah, FSG will simply pocket the fee and Klopp will see none of it reinvested to finish his rebuild is simply fantasy, not backed by any actual history of what's gone down in the last several years.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Liverpool reportedly made a £100m bid for Newcastle and Brazil midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, 25, just before the transfer window closed on 1 September.

Us and our £100m+ bids, what are we like?

And yet that has only just come out?

Not convinced, he’s also not worth £100m even at today’s ridiculous prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Ah,..yes; this myth that's constantly being perpetuated and has been doing the rounds a lot on the forum recently.

That if we do sell Salah, FSG are simply going to pocket the money and reinvest none of it into the team.

Which is simply fiction when you consider their history especially when it comes to selling (and even buying) big price players.

And for the second time in as many days I have to remind yet another person that the last time we were in this exact position - with the best player in the squad (at the time) and also the best player in the league (at the time) wanting a move away from the club to Barcelona - by which, I obviously mean Coutinho - we sold him and got a record transfer fee from him from Barca. Certainly a club record fee at the time and I believe it was also a league record back then.

Did they simply pocket all that money and we never saw a cent of it again?

Of course not.
    They used it to go out an get Allison and Fabinho and address two glaring problem areas in the squad that had been lacking up to that point. And even though Van Dijk came in the same window that Coutinho left (And actually arrived before him) it's reasonable to assume that the transfer fee we got from Coutinho's sale was retroactively factored into the payment made to bring Virgil in.
    Which means from Coutinho's sale (145 Million) we got back Allison (65 Million), Fabby (40 Million), and (retroactively) Virgil (75 Million)

Do the maths on that one and tell me they pocketed that Coutinho money.
    Or did they not in fact end up spending some of their own money (i.e. taking money out of their pockets instead of pocketing it) - ABOVE the Coutinho money - to make all three deals happen? (about £40 million in case, you're wondering)

But they don't re-invest in the squad right?
    And should I remind you that we don't win any of the titles or get to any of the (at least two of three) Champion's League finals and win one without those three players.

Even last year, despite the old saying that we don't bring players in unless they're able to sell players first, we bought Darwin despite having sold no one.
    Sure, it helped that we got Mane off our books in terms of his wages, from his move to Bayern, but his transfer fee more likely factored into the money we used to bring in Diaz, who, after all, is the more direct Mane replacement.
    Darwin's transfer fee in all likelihood all came from FSG's pockets.

So again, this idea that if we sell Salah, FSG will simply pocket the fee and Klopp will see none of it reinvested to finish his rebuild is simply fantasy, not backed by any actual history of what's gone down in the last several years.
    The negative perception is down to the lack of trust that many people have.
    FSG could perhaps improve the way people view them by being more visible.