Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Getting those cameras in behind the scenes for their pals at Netflix to widen the global merchandising potential THE priority for the business men. All that product they can shift off the back of that. Strike while the iron is hot.

It’s like after a near miss quad. You announce the club is up for sale. Cash in when the stock is high… They know Jurgen is so great he can weather these storms - so they march on in relentless fashion. Money is money after all and its own reward.

Seems it was one of the straws that broke the Camels back. Not that the great man will ever say it, but something has dawned on him and he didn’t sign a contract in good faith and then realise he wasn’t up to it UNLESS the goal posts moved.
    It would make more sense he walked after last season. Why go into a new season then realise by November, actually I can’t do it anymore. IMO Klopp must of been frustrated with financial restraint. If he ends up German national job, not a problem anywhere else would be a piss take.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson78 View Post
    It would make more sense he walked after last season. Why go into a new season then realise by November, actually I can’t do it anymore. IMO Klopp must of been frustrated with financial restraint. If he ends up German national job, not a problem anywhere else would be a piss take.
    I think he didn't want to walk away after a poor season. When he announced it finally, we are top of the league, in all the cups, and with a fantastic fresh squad.

I'd agree with you in that. If he were to take another job immediately, outside of the German national one then he left because he wasn't happy with something.

But I'd take klopp on his word that he is exhausted and needs a break. So I don't expect him to be announced as a manager of anyone in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    I think he didn't want to walk away after a poor season. When he announced it finally, we are top of the league, in all the cups, and with a fantastic fresh squad.
    Yep. He said in his statement it was important to him to get the team back into a good position.

Ramsay gone to Bolton......

Done wonders for Bradley, hopefully lightning strikes twice for our young right backs.....

Hopefully the media shit will focus the players on to do more..Virgil is leavvingggg Salahhhh is going.... Will Trent renew his contract. blah blah blah.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

He will have felt a duty of care to make sure the team and squad get on the right track.

I don't buy the take about financial restraint. Totally understand people feeling he didn't get backed as much as others, or highlighting particular transfer windows where things could have been done differently, but we now have five high-quality forwards and we got to bring in four midfielders during the Summer to rejuvenate the centre of the park. Having stayed with us for NINE years it would be an odd time to choose to leave if it was mainly due to financial restraints.

Klopp's just exhausted - or can see exhaustion coming. He gives everything and if you were to read up on "Compassion Fatigue" you'd get an idea of what he is likely struggling with - though thankfully his likely won't be as bad as the likes of those working in the Veterinary or Healthcare field.

Thankfully, unlike Ferguson with Man United, he will have left a squad that is in great shape. There will of course be work to be done after his departure as a squad is never "finished" but he will not have left a huge mess that needs tidied - he'll have left a high-quality project that simply needs some tweaks and maintenance.

His job made 10x harder from having to compete with City on a budget dwarfed by Arsenal. He IS telling the truth about exhaustion BUT the exhaustion is more intense and arrives sooner whenyou are fighting with one arm tied behind your back.

I understand some refuse to see it and I realise others will try to use the fact that he hasn't called out his employers (as if he ever would) as proof that he is happy with the owners - but the man has said "he loves" everything at the club..."The players" - "the fans" and "the staff" singled all out for praise - even the "whole city".. yet not once has he said one word in direct praise of those who pay his salary. The closest he came was to mention that 2 new stands (almost) and a training ground have been built that will remain.

IF people want to make the leap from those last sentiments purely on infrastructure and over extrapolate them as a kind of praise for FSG - feel free - but you know deep down it is a huge stretch.

What we do know is that he instigated the 2 year extension... & that he asked for more money for his staff while saying he didn't want a penny more for himself. If that isn't as clear an indication of his inner feelings then I don't know what else is.

From April 2022

Jurgen Klopp has reportedly not received an increase in pay despite signing a new contract to extend his spell as Liverpool manager.

Liverpool confirmed on Thursday that Klopp had penned a new deal to tie him to the club until June 2026, instead of 2024.

Klopp was already the longest-serving active manager in the Premier League, having taken that title from Sean Dyche following his firing by Burnley earlier in April.

Liverpool were 10th in the EPL when Klopp replaced Brendan Rodgers in October 2015, with the Reds having finished 25 points behind Chelsea in the previous season. Fast-forward six and a half years and Klopp's Liverpool have won a Premier League title, been crowned European and world champions and are currently in contention for an unprecedented quadruple.

The general consensus among fans would be that Klopp has earned a pay-rise.

But according to The Athletic, he neither asked for nor received one.
    Not for himself at least. While Klopp's new deal was apparently a straight extension, other members of his backroom staff are said to have seen their pay packets boosted by around £2 million collectively.

The Athletic also claim that Klopp instigated contract talks with the board, rather than the other way around.
    Klopp is said to have asked his agent to contact Liverpool owner John W Henry to enquire about the possibility of signing an extension. Henry was more than happy to oblige.

Klopp's decision to sign a new contract without a pay increase, means that Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola remains the Premier League manager with the biggest salary.

https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/futbol/news/jurgen-klopps-pay-did-not-go-up-with-new-liverpool-contract#:~:text=But%20according%20to%20The%20Athl etic,around%20£2%20million%20collectively.
    Last edited by Steveo; 30th January 2024 at 12:19 PM.

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status/1752443013878382642?t=cYWAvCLkGBuExwQ3V4eH4w&s=19

Van Dijk clarifying recent comments.

Though I am sure this will get micro-analysed too, such is the Nature of media sensationalism.