Page 73 of 681 FirstFirst ... 236366676869707172737475767778798083123173573 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I don't agree with 19x. I felt that our midfield lacked something. I'm not a fan of Hendo (19x is). For example, if we add a Coutinho type player into that midfield and I think we would have been easily over line.
    Thiago was supposed to provide what Coutinho used to, in releasing other players and creating big opportunities at least, he has been a failure - Hendo remains our best midfielder -
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Thiago was supposed to provide what Coutinho used to, in releasing other players and creating big opportunities at least, he has been a failure - Hendo remains our best midfielder -
    That's what some of us thought. We were clearly wrong, he was brought in for a different role. He'd have been used further forward if he was that lock picker we expected?

We need to get away from the lock picking passes and accept its pretty damn difficult to break down low blocks..
    The centre forward is what counts too me.. If you get them in the box and press the centre backs makes them have to deal with it.. Half the time the centre backs just sit there and its the midfield of the opponents that play in front of them.
    Its actually amazing we score so many goals as it is.. Just shows the quality of Salah and Mane.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    That's what some of us thought. We were clearly wrong, he was brought in for a different role. He'd have been used further forward if he was that lock picker we expected?
    exactly
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Social media reports that Firmino to Juve us at an advanced stage. Wants to play regularly prior to World Cup.
    They've just let Dybala go too.
    If he goes I wonder if he'll be replaced? Or if it gets used to strengthen midfield?

It's bizarre to think that we could have lost Mane, Bobby and Mo in this window. At least Mo stayed.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    That’s a strange way of looking at it, CCTV. It’s not a competition to be the coolest muthafuckin footballer trader.

They got their man, they’d been working on it for a while. They didn’t over pay. They beat the competition. They laid on the cheese for the young lad and convinced him this was the right club for him. What’s not to like?

What’s interesting in terms of the conversation is how little Klopp had to do with the process.
    Mine is a humorous rewrite, based on obvious substance from the post, and ends with a quote that might question the authenticity of this as valid testimony.
    Julian sealed the deal, eh...

"Julian then walked with his phone to the trophy cabinet at AXA and finished with ‘we want to add to this and that’s why we want you’. If the boy wasn’t convinced, he would be now."

Klopp not involved, he's on the call before Lijnders joins in if I read it right. He was also publicly gushing over Nunez (hugged too iirc) when we played them in the CL.
    Buts it's good to know Klopp waited till every detail was agreed before speaking to Darwin

Lijnders introduction is to say he's calm and insult the Porto Manager in a minor backhand way

Then painting a picture of the owners and SD being a real struggle against getting players like Diaz in to the club. Really pushing. He hoped he'd be the difference maker, but the owners and SD were a real struggle.

I'd wager there are genuinely calmer recollections of events.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Klopp not involved
    I said how little he was involved..

from the story;

"I joined the call and Jurgen was explaining to Luis how he would fit into our style and that we would help him."

"He said in reference to me joining (the call) ‘but you will hear this guy much more often!’ to which I immediately said ‘but I will explain things more calmly than Sergio (Conceicao, the Porto manager)!”

It's big kids talking excitedly, not months of financial planning and dealing with the Porto hierarchy, adjusting to the news that Spurs were making their move

and it's of little more substance than;

“His agent translated Jurgen’s message and Julian Ward said ‘these two will make you a better player’.

Ward was even in on that call..

Anyway, its a snapshot of how things are done and, I maintain, how small a role Klopp plays in our transfer dealings, as it should be at a massive club like ours.. he's got enough on his plate already

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    I said how little he was involved..

from the story;

"I joined the call and Jurgen was explaining to Luis how he would fit into our style and that we would help him."

"He said in reference to me joining (the call) ‘but you will hear this guy much more often!’ to which I immediately said ‘but I will explain things more calmly than Sergio (Conceicao, the Porto manager)!”

It's big kids talking excitedly, not months of financial planning and dealing with the Porto hierarchy, adjusting to the news that Spurs were making their move

and it's of little more substance than;

“His agent translated Jurgen’s message and Julian Ward said ‘these two will make you a better player’.

Ward was even in on that call..

Anyway, its a snapshot of how things are done and, I maintain, how small a role Klopp plays in our transfer dealings, as it should be at a massive club like ours.. he's got enough on his plate already
    As said, I wouldn't put much value on the testimony of the calm guy, shitting kittens on his crazy day.

Typically players agree terms in advance of clubs. Where they speak to the new manager and resolve financials.
    Then an agreement is sought between the clubs.
    Of course this contravenes the ethos of getting deals done by the book, but it is commonplace.

We'd identified Diaz as a target, not a hard job. We were in discussions with him.
    We were forced to move forward our acquisition, on account of spurs.
    Had Jurgen & Pep had their way, he'd have been coming in during the January window regardless of spurs interest.

I don't think it supports what you believe to be true.