Page 85 of 681 FirstFirst ... 357578798081828384858687888990919295135185585 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post

The question of mine you have a problem with...

how has keeping Ox made us a more attractive club for the players we want to add?
    I have not claimed that keeping Ox makes us more attractive. That is your interpretation of what I said, or "twisting" if you will.

I have claimed that actions such as, to use my own words, "not freezing players out" will be a factor (only one of many, might I add) in us being an attractive proposition for a player - ie we don't treat our players like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Dear CCTV, have you ever heard of the Peter Principle!
    No, but I've read your posts about how I...

"Enjoyed belittling Balinkay knowing full well that English was not his first language!"

Without any citations to this effect on your behalf,
    I never found Balis English lacking.

I think both us have a very good grasp of the English language for people who learnt it as a secondary language.
    Though Bali is more decorated and accomplished in the languages he can speak competently.

I've seen you make a statement.
    Then in a reply afterwards, seemingly refute your own statement with an alternative viewpoint.
    I definitely play Devil's Advocate a lot - and I definitely will refute a misinterpretation or misrepresentation of a point I have previously made.

*Shrug*

No, but I've read your posts about how I...

"Enjoyed belittling Balinkay knowing full well that English was not his first language!"

Without any citations to this effect on your behalf,
    I never found Balis English lacking.

I think both us have a very good grasp of the English language for people who learnt it as a secondary language.
    Though Bali is more decorated and accomplished in the languages he can speak competently.
    Another extraordinary muddled post dear CCTV which refers to a different thread and does not answer this particular one!

On that point, I would also add that I will concede ground when I haven't presented my point well and it has been pointed out.

An example. Some years ago someone was talking about Andy Murray in the tennis in here and I said his second serve was comparatively poor.

I was told that was an outrageous accusation - as his second-serve percentage was extremely high.

I then explained that what I had meant was placement/speed (conceding that I had not made my first point well) rather than percentages and compared to a soft penalty struck near the keeper in football - technically it is on-target, but you wouldn't describe it as "excellent" like with a hard strike into the top corner.

I don't see this as a particularly bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    On that point, I would also add that I will concede ground when I haven't presented my point well and it has been pointed out.

An example. Some years ago someone was talking about Andy Murray in the tennis in here and I said his second serve was comparatively poor.

I was told that was an outrageous accusation - as his second-serve percentage was extremely high.

I then explained that what I had meant was placement/speed (conceding that I had not made my first point well) rather than percentages and compared to a soft penalty struck near the keeper in football - technically it is on-target, but you wouldn't describe it as "excellent" like with a hard strike into the top corner.

I don't see this as a particularly bad thing.
    It is not clear to me on what you are replying to. There is no contiguous thread reply on this forum. Perhaps a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    It is not clear to me on what you are replying to. There is no contiguous thread reply on this forum. Perhaps a problem.
    Ah, apologies - it was a continuation of my reply to CCTV having said (to me) - "I've seen you make a statement.
    Then in a reply afterwards, seemingly refute your own statement with an alternative viewpoint"

Hope that clarifies.

I have not claimed that keeping Ox makes us more attractive. That is your interpretation of what I said, or "twisting" if you will.

I have claimed that actions such as, to use my own words, "not freezing players out" will be a factor (only one of many, might I add) in us being an attractive proposition for a player - ie we don't treat our players like crap.
    Your quoted proposition has 3 parts

1) the idea that we should freeze Ox out is introduced, some may say we should, you argue against this,
    (Is this an unfair twisting of your words ?)

2) another idea is introduced, we don't generally freeze out players..

Not discussed this, I think its a bit of a stretch, but I get your idea here that youth players are given more time here,
    Though Trent didn't need the extra time. Top players rarely do, there are late developers. Most of our youth players end up frozen out.

With senior players we look to sell players and I'd argue a few were frozen out effectively already.
    We only look to push out unwanted players in the main.

3) this not freezing players out, is an advantage in landing targets.

Another claim that I'd see as speculative, certainly at odds with your reply thereafter. Where it was greatly diminished and absent.

1 You directly cite Ox, in freezing out or not,
    2 Propose not freezing out players is a thing we do generally
    3 And this is probably a factor in landing players

This 3 step summary of your proposition, is taken from a direct quote, nestled together in one paragraph and not seperated out over pages.

I'd argue that having players like Ox & Keita whose reported wages near 300kpw between them,
    and losing these players on free transfers next summer which seems likely now, a net loss in terms of transfer spending,
    when their contributions have not met their expectations to date,
    Is not an example of how we entice players to the club for me.

Ah, apologies - it was a continuation of my reply to CCTV having said (to me) - "I've seen you make a statement.
    Then in a reply afterwards, seemingly refute your own statement with an alternative viewpoint"

Hope that clarifies.
    Clarifies somewhat on yours and CCTV 's behalf but not on mine or any one else's.

I'd argue that having players like Ox & Keita whose reported wages near 300kpw between them,
    and losing these players on free transfers next summer which seems likely now, a net loss in terms of transfer spending,
    when their contributions have not met their expectations to date,
    Is not an example of how we entice players to the club for me.
    Well it's a good thing that I haven't suggested that losing these players on free transfers next summer which seems likely now, a net loss in terms of transfer spending, when their contributions have not met their expectations to date, is not an example of how we entice players to the club for me.

(Is this an unfair twisting of your words?)