Page 90 of 681 FirstFirst ... 4080838485868788899091929394959697100140190590 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

I'd be made up with Conor Gallagher right now, I rate him and he's a fuck site better than some of the shite we have on our books and showed in game in game out throughout last season, a very good long term Milner replacement
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    But the season before was a car crash Taksin
    Yes but you said ‘time and time again’. I’m not sure if people think we’ll have someone of the calibre of VanDjik on the bench but there are some players you just can’t have cover for. By any ones standard, that was an injury crisis.
    Last season we didn’t have one and used rotation well - even Keita and Thiago were available for most of the campaign, and it was ridiculously condensed. Real Madrid had a massive rest period before the final. We didn’t.

I don’t mind people thinking we need another midfielder - I do too. But constant complaining about our incompetence is not only a bit rich given how close we came last season, it’s also untrue. We managed the squad well last season

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I'd be made up with Conor Gallagher right now, I rate him and he's a fuck site better than some of the shite we have on our books and showed in game in game out throughout last season, a very good long term Milner replacement
    Dear 19x, it has been my thought for quite a while that Jürgen does not necessarily have a blind spot for midfield but rather sees that area as needing functional players, adaptable and hard working, rather than brilliant. The brilliance comes from elsewhere.
    But he has problems with the amount of work he is expecting from everyone and especially in midfield - lots of role changes and twisting and turning and acceleration involved.
    He is a hard task-master. Gini handled it superbly but he was a bit of a freak fitness-wise.

So to sum up, we want Klopp to buy another midfielder but we don't trust him to buy midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    We managed the squad well last season
    Sorry I don't agree with that statement.
    At the end of last season (the business end as people call it) our midfield players were definitely flagging.
    The most obvious example being the CL final where our midfield struggled.
    In my opinion our first choice midfield players played too many games. Primarily because we didn't/don't have adequate quality back-up for midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Agree. He'd be a good addition. Probably going to sit on the bench all season though.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    At the end of last season (the business end as people call it) our midfield players were definitely flagging.
    In my opinion our first choice midfield players played too many games. Primarily because we didn't/don't have adequate quality back-up for midfield.
    100% correct. We had to nurse the same 3 players.

Playing Thiago v Wolves at home and then Thiago & Fab in the final - while both were clearly not fit was surely the biggest marker that Klopp - himself - knows full well we are well short.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Why was it the midfielders? The whole team was flagging. We scored zero goals in three cup finals. Mo’s head was elsewhere, so goes the story.
    It was a gruelling campaign and the midfield came through for the most part uninjured. But for a man of the match performance from Courtois and a dodgy VAR decision at Everton it would have been the most glorious season ever by anyone. And we’re all sitting around knowingly criticising our squad management like experts on the matter.

Playing Devils advocate….

You could say that we scored 0 goals in 3 cup finals including an hour of extra time… that’s 330 minutes of football btw…because the midfield wasn’t capable of generating anything of note against the quality opposition you meet at the business end. It’s a theme when the FB’s are nullified and opponents don’t make mistakes.

We came so close to the Quadruple - but also just a whisker away from winning nothing, 2 penalty shoot outs (lottery time). Let’s be balanced about it. We massively over achieved last term and that includes only winning the 2 domestic cups. What we really were was super consistent in beating the lesser sides. The sides not in the highest bracket.

We did superb in the CL group stages (results wise) but never really convinced me that we could beat a top side over 2 legs… A very nice draw helped us to the final too / it must be said. I believe there’s a very good chance that PSG, City and Chelsea would have done us over 2 legs…as it turned out we couldn’t do it v an aged Real over one.

Could say - Salah carried us for the first half of the season and then to large degree Diaz introduced a new dimension to our attack - it befuddled opposition tactics because Mané had been so ordinary in there for so long. Moving him to the middle - meant teams had to redraw their setup against us. Worked for a bit, but we were using all available resources to come from behind v Wolves at home at the business end.

When you win things in elite competition you always come close to winning nothing, Steveo. That’s what makes it so thrilling and that’s what motivates the support.

Expecting to win comfortably is entitled behaviour and I think su called supporters who adopt this attitude from the armchair are a bit toxic