Page 47 of 149 FirstFirst ... 374041424344454647484950515253545797147 ... LastLast

Thread: General transfer thread (everything not LFC) 22/23

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Yeah Palace were terrible as soon as we went down to ten.

Flip side is they will be delighted with the point.

I'm concerned at what ive seen so far against two average/poor teams.
    Concerned is a understatement, Anyone half decent would've taken all 3 points. Shite doesn't come close compared with what we all know these lads can produce.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Concerned is a understatement, Anyone half decent would've taken all 3 points. Shite doesn't come close compared with what we all know these lads can produce.
    It's not been fantastic in terms of points accrued for sure - though it doesn't tell the entire story.

Against Fulham we had an xG of 2.39 from 11 shots (an average xG per shot of 0.217) then against Crystal Palace we had an xG of 2.36 from 24 shots - 10 of which were blocked (so relatively "low quality" shots by-and-large) - or an average xG per shot of 0.098.

If we compare that to Man City (partly because they're the main title rival, partly because we get it into our heads that they are relentlessly brilliant) they had an xG of 1.68 from 19 shots against Bournemouth, for an average xG per shot of 0.088 - so we actually we're creating better goal-scoring opportunities if the stats are to be believed, but sadly weren't clinical in putting them away - which is no surprise when we often joke about how many attempts Salah needs before it goes into the net.

xG isn't a perfect indicator of course and that is particularly true over a small sample size - but over the lengthy spell of a League campaign you will see it correlate quite closely to the goals scored.

I always worry more if we aren't creating chances than if we aren't putting them away - finishing generally seems to sharpen up as you get into a season - or at least it certainly feels that way.

Put more away, get our offside traps and press a bit sharper - it'll stack up and the wins will return sooner or later.

Yeah Palace were terrible as soon as we went down to ten.

Flip side is they will be delighted with the point.

I'm concerned at what ive seen so far against two average/poor teams.
    They were shocking the whole game, came for a smash n grab and almost got it. The keeper should have been booked for his blatant time wasting.

Jeeez Louise..£85m??

Leicester City's Wesley Fofana, 21, has agreed personal terms with Chelsea but the two clubs have still not settled on a fee - with the Stamford Bridge outfit refusing to meet the £85m asking price for the France centre-back. (Fabrizio Romano)

where are chelsea getting the money? surely they have gone wayyyy over the FFP by now?
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

The amount of Chelsea players on loan around the word is astounding. Lots of income and options floating around in there.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    where are chelsea getting the money? surely they have gone wayyyy over the FFP by now?
    UEFA are onto their "Financial Stability Rules" now as of June 2022.

Something they wish to do is "bring better cost control in relation to player wages and transfer costs. The regulation limits spending on wages, transfers, and agent fees to 70 per cent of club revenue. Assessments will be performed on a timely basis and breaches will result in pre-defined financial penalties and sporting measures. The new regulations will come into force in June 2022. There will be gradual implementation over three years to allow clubs the necessary time to adapt."

There's more to it of course but that is a snippet of it. Allegedly the enforcement of rules will be stricter so that rich clubs don't merely get a fine now and then for offences, but I'd be pretty sceptical about it.

As ourselves, I'd be looking at the stand-out point of "regulation limits spending on wages, transfers, and agent fees to 70 per cent of club revenue" - as our own percentage spent on wages and transfers tends to be a relatively high percentage, with us also notoriously having had to spend a lot on agent fees for all the contract negotiations that have helped us keep key stars - one of the "hidden" costs of running everything.

It's a real shame that FFP wasn't enforced properly when it came to the likes of PSG and Man City. There was a chart I saw recently going back maybe 12 or so years showing revenue and it had Man City as being JUST behind Man United - at a time when Man United were still winning the League and had massive commercial income - it looks so daft on a graph like that when I consider that I have seen about 3 Man City shirts that I can recall in the flesh versus seeing someone in a Man United top almost every day in life.

I read that a Saudi from PIF has links to one of the investors.

Now if that is true it is not allowed as you cant have stakes in 2 clubs in same league.

Or lets put it another way enough palms have been greased for this to go away.

I read that a Saudi from PIF has links to one of the investors.

Now if that is true it is not allowed as you cant have stakes in 2 clubs in same league.

Or lets put it another way enough palms have been greased for this to go away.
    Wow. You have to admire the FA and their hypocracy. fight racism fight sexism and homophobia (obviously the right way to be).. and then they allow the likes of Newcastle and parts of Chelsea to be run by the saudis and we know what happens to people there
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Wow. You have to admire the FA and their hypocracy. fight racism fight sexism and homophobia (obviously the right way to be).. and then they allow the likes of Newcastle and parts of Chelsea to be run by the saudis and we know what happens to people there
    They are Bessy mates with the US again.. They can do what they like. If you expect the English FA to say boo to them - you are dreaming.

That's every major club - bar Spurs - at least 10% US owned. No wonder the Saudis are making an entrance. The timing seems perfectly planned.. Almost like someone gave them a tip off that war in Ukraine was coming - well over a year before it did.

United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    City

Kerching!

Don't forget City sold a 10% stake to Silverlake at a great time... just before the ruling on their FFP breach... which ran out of time.. Almost silence from the media.. Hmmm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/27/manchester-city-sell-10-per-cent-share-us-private-equity-firm-silver-lake
    Last edited by Steveo; 17th August 2022 at 05:44 PM.