Page 14 of 149 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617181920212464114 ... LastLast

Thread: General transfer thread (everything not LFC) 22/23

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Why? What's the fascination with Spurs. They haven't won anything. They may challenge this season.
    Good point - they have looked miles off it recently to be fair, But they haven’t got relegated or gone bust just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    This last bit is at least an interesting point I suppose. So you believe that Ferguson had this but Moyes, and Van Gaal, and Jose, and Ole and, Rangnick all did not?

Do you also believe this was the case with Liverpool up until Kenny left us? Good ownership and then Souness, and then Roy Evans, and then Gerrard Houllier, and then Rafa Benitez, and then Woy Hodgson owners bad ?
    Yes I've stated this many times on the forum. I believe the club hierarchy lost its way at the end of our golden era, did not know how to move the club forward in the modern era and faltered as a result. That's actually what David Moores said lead him to sell the club. He didn't know how to move the club forwards and couldn't take the pain of falling behind.

And then what for Kenny Dalgish again, and then Brendan Rodgers... ? Owners good or bad?
    Under FSG there has been steady improvement and a steep learning curve for the Americans. The Rogers appointment looked at one point to be moving in the right direction. They were committed to their model when they laid off Kenny, and eventually they got it right.

I am at least pleased you do "believe the manager is a very important figure at a club". Sweet lord.
    Your exasperation is presumably because you see it as understatement, but if you read it as a plain statement, which is what it is, then there is no need for any sarcasm.

And seeing the manager as be all and end all is not only naive, it is not consistent with successful models such as Real Madrid who focus on squad building with or without their preferred manager who is seen as a 'coach'. But not only that, it isn't even consistent with your attitude towards Spurs. You've again trotted out Spurs recent superiority over us (by some measures), but this has been during a period of managerial upheaval for them. It again suggests you admire their club governance over any specific manager.

You are essentially saying Salah couldn't win the golden boot without his football boots - therefore his boots were the "primary factor".. it really is that weak.
    No I am not essentially saying that. It is your analogy that is weak. I think running a top football club is more complex than buying a pair of football boots, which are worn by every professional footballer in just about the entire world.

Rodgers did well in 2014 but minus any European football, with a wealth of attacking talent and Gerrard as the fulcrum.

Genuine progress started to emerge in spring 2016 within months of Jurgen arriving to try and solve the mess of a squad he inherited.

See this from late February 2009. Just 18 months prior to FSG takeover. Rafa has us there with FFS Parry and those brilliant cowboys remember. So much for the quality of the owners. Pah

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-top-ranked-club-3460566.amp

If FSG weren't here there would be someone else and were Klopp managing their team I am sure he would have been able to match or eclipse what he has working for them.
    You're sure are you? How about Hicks and Gilette as one example? Or maybe David Moores - try asking him what he thinks about it.. as long as you are willing to make that huge assumption that anyone will do, there is no point arguing about it because you can stay convinced of that as long as we are successful and going places, all the while blissfully ignorant of the work being done behind the scenes on the one hand, and on the other hand endlessly willing to criticise their short comings and claim that they're letting us down whenever anything imperfect occurs.

Good for you!

Seems my comment above highlights your problem

Biggest issue with Spurs is Conte.. one bad batch he'll fk off.. And lets see what happens against teams that sit in.. and mix up the game that way..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Biggest issue with Spurs is Conte.. one bad batch he'll fk off.. And lets see what happens against teams that sit in.. and mix up the game that way..
    He is a winner by all accounts and we could see flashes of the team he expects them to be last season, but poor consistency.

They will have to show far more to be a genuine threat but it is looking possible.

Seems my comment above highlights your problem
    It would be polite to explain what you mean instead of sarky comments like this. I have no idea what this statement means.

If you think the Benitez era was as successful as this one you are welcome to the view. I don't. I remember thinking the UEFA coefficient was skewed at the time. In the last few years we have genuinely had the best team in the competition - I think that's been widely acknowledged apart from perhaps Madrid advocates. Then, we didn't.

Our performance in the league over the last four seasons has been astonishing by any standard in any era. It wasn't similar back then. Man City have been equally impressive in the league but they are built on financial unfair play. I don't think their success can be respected as ours can.

Also, here's a look back at the last owners
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hicks-gillett-living-nightmare-liverpool-10269266

Hicks and Gillett: The living nightmare for Liverpool FC
    including

"And off it (the pitch) Liverpool was on the brink of financial meltdown amid talk of going into administration and landing a nine-point penalty."

"Within months of their arrival the club was riddled with debt, disunity and back-stabbing. Gillett and Hicks swiftly fell out with each other and left a trail of broken promises in their wake."

"Benitez and Purslow were soon at war with the manager complaining of being undermined and he was fuming that the cost of new contracts for players was coming out of a dwindling transfer kitty."

Just because we had one half decent season in the middle of all that does not mean success can be built amidst chaos. The chaos eventually expressed itself.