Page 145 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4595135138139140141142143144145146147148149 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1484

Thread: General transfer thread (everything not LFC) 22/23

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    Chelsea has spent £600 million since May on 15 players. Half of that in this window. Insane
    Yep, it's mad.

By spreading so many big transfers over so many future years they're taking a considerable risk for the best part of the next decade. If the crop of new players don't deliver then they're going to struggle to refresh things further down the line as individuals sit on contracts that are 7/8 years long.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Fernandez deal is apparently concluded for Chelsea..

£290 million spent, that’s what FSG payed to buy this club. They haven’t put in a single penny more….

We are worth - supposedly £4 billion now and have the 3rd highest value in world football but get this.

We have no money.
    And we could have signed him for 9m in the summer

Our entire strategy is supposed to involve us trying to get in the best emerging talent before they're worth silly money

Our entire scouting and recruitment tean should go, they're simply not delivering and haven't since the list they stole from City went out of date
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Yep, it's mad.

By spreading so many big transfers over so many future years they're taking a considerable risk for the best part of the next decade. If the crop of new players don't deliver then they're going to struggle to refresh things further down the line as individuals sit on contracts that are 7/8 years long.

Doubt it - theyll find a loophole. Barca are literally the only club FFP has seemingly applied to and even they found ways to get around them.
    Worrying times with newcastle doing well too. So now its city, arsenal, chelsea, utd, spurs, newcastle, us fighting for 4 places.

Seems like the only way out for us is for a billionaire purchase.

Supposedly that long contract type designed to count as divided up over the number of year is a loophole being closed by FIFA this summer. But since when does anyone from FIFA do anything to reign in rules breaches.

I personally haven't a problem with what Chelsea have done,they did their homework on the rules,needed new players and went out and got them and i don't believe they've finished yet.I think most of his signings are mid level at best,it's just he was willing to pay out the highly inflated prices to get them plus his record signing of course.

Every other club had the same opportunity to do the same with longer contracts including LFC and we chose not to.
    Nobody in my opinion should be slagging off Chelsea owner for doing what he feels he needs to do to bring his team up to a higher level.......which was all done legitimately under the current rules.

It just comes across like sour grapes from our side to complain.
    Last edited by fagin; 1st February 2023 at 03:54 AM.

FSGs transfer strategy if it still exists is redundant now.

According to SkySports account of this transfer window,

Only 1 club failed to improve their team this window and that was Everton,they list a whole host of clubs they attempted to get players in from.

The list of unsuccessful moves : Hakim Ziyech,
    Conor Gallagher, Iliman Ndjaye, Olivier Girouard,
    Michy Batshuayi, Jean Philippe Mateta, and Udinese striker Beto, amonst others.
    Last edited by fagin; 1st February 2023 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    Supposedly that long contract type designed to count as divided up over the number of year is a loophole being closed by FIFA this summer. But since when does anyone from FIFA do anything to reign in rules breaches.
    Yeah there will be a limit on contract length coming in - Chelsea have "front-loaded" if you will by getting a bunch of players in before that rule is introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    FSGs transfer strategy if it still exists is redundant now.
    It might be to be honest, in the current climate.

Though Lijnders hinted at a change of strategy having taken place already in an excerpt from his book, whereby we would get the best possible players in, rather than looking for emerging talent. This is presumably why, when we didn't get Tchouameni, we "waited" for Bellingham - which is currently looking a terrible idea due to how the season is panning out.

Had we instead stuck to the emerging talent strategy, we may well have acquired Fernandez last Summer. We'll never know now and to be fair there's no guarantee that we would be having a better season with him - but I think we would likely be better off.

Another thing to add is that any strategy can fail if it isn't implemented to it's fullest potential. We have been a club that spends what it generates for quite some time now and have largely been good at buying - but we have fallen down in the selling department along the way. Players like Ox, Keita, Adrian and Phillips really shouldn't be here at this point - a couple of sales at key moments (maybe having to sell slightly below our evaluations) could have freed up funds and squad spaces for exactly the type of young talent we should be after - Fernandez/Thuram/Kone types.

These mistakes have of course been compounded by injuries - and why we got that former Arsenal staff guy into our rehab department given their previous injury record I will never, never know.

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    I personally haven't a problem with what Chelsea have done,they did their homework on the rules,needed new players and went out and got them and i don't believe they've finished yet.I think most of his signings are mid level at best,it's just he was willing to pay out the highly inflated prices to get them plus his record signing of course.

Every other club had the same opportunity to do the same with longer contracts including LFC and we chose not to.
    Nobody in my opinion should be slagging off Chelsea owner for doing what he feels he needs to do to bring his team up to a higher level.......which was all done legitimately under the current rules.

It just comes across like sour grapes from our side to complain.
    I think you have a point, it is sour from some of us myself included.
    I just think it's scummy and exploitative from them and is a huge risk, if it doesn't work they're in trouble. Given how often they peddle managers it's also another big risk as any new guy is saddled with players in long contracts theyll struggle to move on..
    The fact UEFA are now closing the loophole says a lot. It's another of their long list of fuckups.