Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617182161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 883

Thread: Darwin Nunez

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    22,832
    Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I'm not sure where you're going with this. The team in general has been shit. Bournemouth got a battering. I don't think Nunez has been shit for us, he's played 268 minutes (excluding charity shield) - not even 3 full games.

    It doesn't matter what anyone else notices, although if you look at the media they are reporting his goal, it may have a marginal (or more) impact to him.
    Surely about the whole confidence thing, after beating Bournemouth like we did, and started the season by winning community shield

    we should be doing better? Not saying Nunez has been shit he hasn't really had a chance just said he's not been great yet but everyone around him being half the player we're use too hasn't helped

    Once again though nunez should of had his confidence "boost" in pre-season if confidence really is important..... i don't agree, if you're not confident at high level then you're not going to make it in the first place. out of the lower leagues at least, I.E league 2
    Last edited by Kev0909; 29th September 2022 at 10:00 AM.
    #FSGOUT

    we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    belfast
    Posts
    16,765
    His season starts on Saturday, let's all be positive for once !!

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    24,516
    Will be interesting to pick other strikers as yard-sticks.

    On that subject, it's incredible how many strikers have one or two outstanding seasons but have numbers that aren't that great overall.

    Drogba is a fine example of this. Spent eight seasons at Chelsea. His goal return in the League? -

    - 10
    - 12
    - 20
    - 8
    - 5
    - 29
    - 11
    - 5

    So in six of his eight seasons he scored 12 League goals or less. I know "the game has changed" and he didn't play 38 League games every season but it's a surprising return in 75% of his seasons with two excellent outliers.

    Wonder what Núñez will accomplish.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,678
    Players are judged so much on what they win. It's a barometer to a degree but it in a team sport where you have 14-15 players it is a little crazy. Suarez barely won a thing with us - but he was outstanding in seasons where he scored loads AND those where he wasn't so prolific but simply changed games. Drogba was a force and stopping him score meant others did.

    Messi is lorded too much because he played in a side that would have probably won 3/4rs of what they did without him - they were that good. Imagine having that team built around you. Diego was at Napoli a club that has never won a title before he went OR since!

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Players are judged so much on what they win. It's a barometer to a degree but it in a team sport where you have 14-15 players it is a little crazy. Suarez barely won a thing with us - but he was outstanding in seasons where he scored loads AND those where he wasn't so prolific but simply changed games. Drogba was a force and stopping him score meant others did.

    Messi is lorded too much because he played in a side that would have probably won 3/4rs of what they did without him - they were that good. Imagine having that team built around you. Diego was at Napoli a club that has never won a title before he went OR since!
    How many trophies did Phil Neville pick up at United? He was an absolute turd of a player but ended up with far more trophies than Gerrard. Dont think a player should ever be judged on the trophies he won.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,678
    Totally agree.. It's madness but so often cited. If Croatia win that final v France - Lovren is up their with Beckenbauer - on a par with Modric.. it's insane

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    24,516
    Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    How many trophies did Phil Neville pick up at United? He was an absolute turd of a player but ended up with far more trophies than Gerrard. Dont think a player should ever be judged on the trophies he won.
    Maldini never won a World Cup.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    49,212
    Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    How many trophies did Phil Neville pick up at United?
    Or Vidic for that matter, sure he was great in the air, but he was absolutely hopeless 1v1 on the deck, a complete disaster, I think that goes to show how poor the overall standard of coaching and analysis was in the game back then. In today's Premier League all teams would set up to isolate their forward 1v1 with him, I think he was also helped hugely by playing under Ferguson at a time when we didn't have technology and Gill was balls deep in the refs association, always remember loads of incidents he and Ferdinand committed blatant fouls, that were definite yellows bordering on straight reds taking a player out when last man and the ref would always waves his arms carry on nothing to see here

    That's for me why we have such huge issues with VAR in our league, it worked absolutely fine for 2 thirds of the first season, until the FA, Premier League and refs association realised it took away the power they had long enjoyed to affect and influence the outcome of games and ultimately trophies
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    22,832
    Scores the odd nice goal and works hard.... but should be doing more

    A lot to work on ,but there's hope for him...

    you'd of thought the amount of money spent he'd be a bit more polished and he's not 18.. but there you go, not his fault
    #FSGOUT

    we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    49,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Scores the odd nice goal and works hard.... but should be doing more

    A lot to work on ,but there's hope for him...

    you'd of thought the amount of money spent he'd be a bit more polished and he's not 18.. but there you go, not his fault
    I knew he was going to need to do A LOT of work on his finishing, as what beats a keeper in the Portugese league doesn't beat most keepers in the Prem and that he'd need to show the intensity and work rate he did in the big Champions League games in every game as Kop On Portugal alluded to, I didn't expect he'd be allowed for one minute to be a revisitation of Evan's spice boys, as in thinking he'd made it just by signing for Liverpool, and going backwards instead of being told in no uncertain terms by the manager, all the coaches and all the other players, "You've done nothing yet, you've made nothing yet, THIS is where the hard world really starts"
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •